Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:03 AM

139 posts, read 550,770 times

Advertisements

We are recent empty nesters who planned to sell in next 5 years or so after retiring. I just took a glance at homes for sale in Clayton in our price range (650 plus) and there are very few available with most contingent. Wow-should we go ahead and list? We have another local property to move to but would have to store/sell a majority of our belongings until we are ready to retire somewhere. How long will this low inventory last (that’s the crystal ball part!)? Thanks!

Last edited by ncmomtothree; 02-18-2021 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Finish sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:05 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Having a place to move to is certainly key.
That doesn't require a crystal ball.

Will you do better in the future? Yeah, crystal ball territory, that.
It is hard for everyone, with the market so far out of balance.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
If you're happy living in the alternate property for several years, then sell now. If not, then wait.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I don't really believe those that try to predict the future but...

I've read articles and heard from those way smarter than me that...

Low inventory will continue...People will continue to move to NC...interest rate will hover around 3% for the rest of this year.

MY crystal ball never works!!!

Old 02-18-2021, 10:20 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Were it me, I'd also consider what I would do with the profit I made from the house sale. How would I invest the cash, estimate the ROI and compare that the potential increase in the market value of the house.

Bird in Hand is sometimes a better financial plan.

(I'd also be selling and purging all that 'stuff.' Paying to store 'stuff' for 5+ yearsi is the definition of flushing money down the toilet.)

Old 02-18-2021, 10:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Were it me, I'd also consider what I would do with the profit I made from the house sale. How would I invest the cash, estimate the ROI and compare that the potential increase in the market value of the house.

Bird in Hand is sometimes a better financial plan.

(I'd also be selling and purging all that 'stuff.' Paying to store 'stuff' for 5+ yearsi is the definition of flushing money down the toilet.)
Ditto!

Your money will do better in investments than attached to an aging home. And I can't agree emphatically enough with the suggestion to purge. When we moved in November 2019 we were brutal about shedding possessions. Books we'll never read again, children's artwork that their adult versions will one day throw out.... the pile was enormous and now it's mostly gone. We kept a storage unit for one year, used initially to allow us to clear out of our last house in stages, but emptied it one year later and still wound up throwing out even more "stuff".

Old 02-18-2021, 10:58 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
I lost enough money on Wall Street, (not a fortune, thanks for caring. ) here and there, to accept the bromide, "There is no such thing as a bad gain."

Old 02-18-2021, 11:11 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Your money will do better in investments than attached to an aging home.
I think it really depends how long you are investing for. If you need to turn around and buy a home to retire to in the somewhat near future, you really have to consider how volatile the stock market can be. We’ve had a very long bull market and CAPE10 is very high. The possibility of something like a 50% downturn and years to get back to even is very possible. If you are investing long term, no big deal. Ride it out. But short-term, finding something relatively safe with decent returns right now is hard.

If you are planning to buy another place within 10 years to retire to, might be wise to go ahead and do so. Or do some mix, like roll half the equity into the retirement home and let the other half ride the market, taking advantage of these interest rates.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think it really depends how long you are investing for. If you need to turn around and buy a home to retire to in the somewhat near future, you really have to consider how volatile the stock market can be. We’ve had a very long bull market and CAPE10 is very high. The possibility of something like a 50% downturn and years to get back to even is very possible. If you are investing long term, no big deal. Ride it out. But short-term, finding something relatively safe with decent returns right now is hard.

If you are planning to buy another place within 10 years to retire to, might be wise to go ahead and do so. Or do some mix, like roll half the equity into the retirement home and let the other half ride the market, taking advantage of these interest rates.
I always assume that most people with substantial assets work with a financial planner and have some sort of managed account(s). Individual investors who play the markets are a different animal and not really representative of the scenario I'm describing. I'm 56 years old and have been through both bull and bear markets and absolutely stand behind my earlier comment that $250K in real estate equity will perform way better if invested in a well-managed plan than it will staying attached to the house itself, even for a relatively short period of time (less than 24 months).

Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM

888 posts, read 806,274 times
What about trying the magic 8 ball instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary