Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 PM

459 posts, read 372,763 times

Advertisements

We got a lot of people in Hollywood but most of them don't bother to rep for Raleigh/Triangle. Only Peyton Reed really reps for Raleigh.

He directs Marvel's the Ant-Man movie series including the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. The safe in the first movie is labeled as made in "Raleigh, NC". The show "The Unicorn" he directs is set in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 04:22 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Don't forget Dexter!

Old 02-23-2021, 02:58 PM

420 posts, read 451,639 times
It is so wonderful to hear about great things happening to people during these difficult times. Congrats to her and her proud family!

Old 02-23-2021, 10:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's very cool. We went to look at that college last summer, it's a neat place. When did she graduate from AHS? My sister's kids might know her.
2016. She was (of course) always active in the theater program there, so they would know her if they had any connection to that. Then to UNCSA and BAM, first job out of college! It's really mind-blowing and it never happens this way! She was having to do auditions via video, but obviously the fates worked in her favor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Congrats! That is so exciting to land a role in such a high profile series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
WOW! Holy shamoly! She must have some serious chops to get a gig like this! Way to represent!!!
No kidding--and as a FIRST professional job! I can't even believe it myself! There are so many talented people in NY who wait tables etc for 5 years before their big break; she hadn't even moved there yet--did her video auditions from Cary, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We have a few North Carolinians that are in Hollywood!

"Jill" on the show, Mom, is from Raleigh.
Actually from Kinston, if you mean Jaime Pressley--her dad sold me my last two cars

Quote:
The current Batchelor went to Sanderson High School with my daughter!
Very exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
“Ainsley†was Emily Proctor’s character on West Wing before she starred in CSI:Miami. She graduated from Ravenscroft. The Sedaris brother/sister (David and Amy) graduated from Sanderson, and David has written extensively about growing up in Raleigh in the 70s.
Yup--I did catch the Emily Proctor coincidence myself. I was at Ravenscroft the same time both she and Michael C "Dexter" Hall were, but they were 5 and 9 years younger than me. And of course Raleigh loves the Sedarises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I’d love if her character would have a southern accent, it would be very cool if she did.
Oh, how I wish! This is a bugaboo of mine, too! But despite growing up in Cary and her parents being natives of NC and OK, I've never heard Ainsely speak with a Southern accent. I guess that's what growing up in Cary in the 2000s does to you LOL! Plus, in live theater, they actively train people to lose their nonstandard accents, which is a shame.

Speaking of Emily Proctor above, I loved it when she had a Southern accent on her shows. I don't expect the same this time, though. You are correct that (almost) the only time characters have Southern accents, they are stereotypical rednecks or religious fundamentalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
We got a lot of people in Hollywood but most of them don't bother to rep for Raleigh/Triangle. Only Peyton Reed really reps for Raleigh.

He directs Marvel's the Ant-Man movie series including the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. The safe in the first movie is labeled as made in "Raleigh, NC". The show "The Unicorn" he directs is set in Raleigh.
Yes, I didn't know about him, myself, until he showed up as one of the speakers at the North Hills time capsule opening in 2017, where he discussed growing up and going to the Cardinal theatre there just like I had. He mentioned Ant-Man at the time (which I've never seen).

Back to the main topic: Law & Order: Organized Crime premieres Thursday, April 1, 10 pm!!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:45 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Congrats! That's huge.

About accents, I think well trained actors should be able to pull off any accent. That's why those British actors are so good at it. They get trained and it shows. I remember reading the Walking Dead fans thought the main guy was "tough 'Murican" like them (if you know the TWD phenomena, you know who the fans are), until he opened his mouth and spoke in British English. There are many American Actors who can do accents, and some who even do brief words, phrases perfectly in foreign languages. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Viggo Mortensen do some eastern European/Slavic languages flawlessly. Then I found out that he is literally a polyglot. I think he is even bilingual in Spanish. I remember watching an Argentine movie where he played the main characters - twin brothers. It was all in Spanish. Surprisingly Tom Cruise usually does a pretty good job with 1-2 words in other languages, he does break down a little (doesn't sound native) when he does a whole sentence. But, he seems like a super intense guy, I can see him like practicing with a language tutor million times.

Talking about NC and movies, I re-watched Stranger Things recently, and it was fun to hear all the Durham references, such as Enzo's, Cornwallis and Erwin, Eno River, etc. I thought it was pretty cool.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
About accents, I think well trained actors should be able to pull off any accent. That's why those British actors are so good at it. They get trained and it shows.
There's a difference between learning an accent for a role (as you cite) and using one's native accent if it's nonstandard, when playing an American. There is no reason that characters on a show like "Law & Order" couldn't come from any part of the US and have the accent they grew up with, but most TV shows or movies about "Americans" strip away regional accents, unless the character is specifically supposed to be from a certain region. I think back to Holly Hunter in "Broadcast News" as a groundbreaker where the character "just happened to have" the same native accent as the actress and even then being glad they hadn't made her cloak her accent (which she has done successfully in many other films and shows) because there's no reason a network executive couldn't be from the South, or anywhere else.

As I said, it's moot in this case because Ainsley Seiger doesn't have a noticeable Southern accent despite being native to NC. With her training, I'm sure she could use one if they decided they wanted her to, or she could do a British, Brooklyn, or any other accent if that were desired, but affecting 'stage accents' is actually the opposite of what was brought up here.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:28 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There's a difference between learning an accent for a role (as you cite) and using one's native accent if it's nonstandard, when playing an American. There is no reason that characters on a show like "Law & Order" couldn't come from any part of the US and have the accent they grew up with, but most TV shows or movies about "Americans" strip away regional accents, unless the character is specifically supposed to be from a certain region. I think back to Holly Hunter in "Broadcast News" as a groundbreaker where the character "just happened to have" the same native accent as the actress and even then being glad they hadn't made her cloak her accent (which she has done successfully in many other films and shows) because there's no reason a network executive couldn't be from the South, or anywhere else.

As I said, it's moot in this case because Ainsley Seiger doesn't have a noticeable Southern accent despite being native to NC. With her training, I'm sure she could use one if they decided they wanted her to, or she could do a British, Brooklyn, or any other accent if that were desired, but affecting 'stage accents' is actually the opposite of what was brought up here.
Sorry for misunderstanding. I wasn't arguing about that. I do not watch TV shows that much, and wouldn't even know who Ainsley Seiger was/is. I do have an idea about Law and Order but I admit I never watched it, and would know the difference between that or any other crime TV show.

I agree with what you are saying about accents. To me that's just regular TV show problem though. They sterilize everything so it can have that "anywhere USA" feel to it. The occasional accents are there for stereotypes: southern accent for a religious hillbilly or a redneck, northeastern accent for someone who has connections with the mob, and a blonde ditzy with a California vocal fry. Everyone else has an impeccable standard American English. It's is silly and nothing like the reality.

Nothing really compares to HBO series though when it comes to "reality": the Wire, Sopranos, True Blood -- you have very real accents. Who knows maybe your niece will land something like that one day. Maybe she'll have to use the Stravinsky method and channel some of the people from her childhood to get that NC accent just right.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I am sure that Ainsley has a Southern accent in her repertoire. My kids, despite having long Southern NC/VA lineages, do not noticeably speak with an accent to my ear, but they can if they take a mind to. I think pretty much anyone who grew up here can, especially if they have older relatives from the South.

Lots of bad accents from British actors out there, especially Southern accents. I don't know why it is so hard for people to get it right.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:41 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Francois beat me with the bragging rights. I graduated with her mom from AHS in '82. Mom is also very talented! The apple didn't fall far!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:15 AM

BUMPING because this is TONIGHT! (April 1, 10pm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary