Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 07:01 AM

20 posts, read 18,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
That's when a textured finish or using a different paint color might be the best solution. In a space that big it's nearly impossible to make it completely level and without some mildly visible drywall ripples and I don't think any contractor will guarantee in writing otherwise. Even if the OP rips it all out and starts over with sister beam joists and new drywall it still won't be 100% perfect.
I am reasonable in my expectations. I don't expect perfect. Any significant improvement would be acceptable at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 07:24 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
That's when a textured finish or using a different paint color might be the best solution. In a space that big it's nearly impossible to make it completely level and without some mildly visible drywall ripples and I don't think any contractor will guarantee in writing otherwise. Even if the OP rips it all out and starts over with sister beam joists and new drywall it still won't be 100% perfect.
Nothing in the world is ever "100% perfect."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipcorplaw View Post
I am reasonable in my expectations. I don't expect perfect. Any significant improvement would be acceptable at this point.
Since you asked about resale...
No texture. No popcorn. No stippled mud finish. Flat, smooth.

And, I asked about ceiling height, because, in that space you would have to be 10' or higher, IMO, to do something like beams or coffers. which might help mask the wide expanse.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 10,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's amazing that something so functional, and really not that ugly to begin with, can be shunned just because someone on HGTV said so.

Bring back popcorn ceilings forever!!
Just not with asbestos in them maybe. I'm afraid to do anything in my ceiling (add light fixtures, fans, etc.) because I had the popcorn tested and it contains asbestos.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 PM

20 posts, read 18,267 times
Good news. My GC has admitted that the ceiling is a problem and is going to (at his cost) remove the drywall and engage a new framer to adjust the framing/joists to facilitate the installation of a flat ceiling.

I am going to separately hire a drywall contractor to install new drywall on the ceiling and finish at a level 5 finish.

Can anyone recommend a drywall contractor that can do this type of work?

Old 03-04-2021, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 240 times
Hi Ipcorlaw,

Painting contractor here. I can help you hang the new drywall, tape, mud, prime and paint it as well. Because you will be removing the whole ceiling, part of the walls will need to be re-painted as well as the new drywall tape has to touch the edge of the wall.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:22 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJohnson12 View Post
I know a company called[mod cut - spam]in Cincinnati. He's very professional you can check his website if you want free quote.
So you think he'll drive nine hours to Raleigh for this job??

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-24-2021 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary