Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 04:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,350,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
You are correct! I should have said about 8-10 cups. Because I make it for 2 people. I was strictly counting my own cups, lol. I use a pour over method too, and about 40 grams every day. So that would make about 8-10. I am being conservative in my calculations because when you roast green beans, they lose moisture so a pound of green beans usually yields less than a pound of roasted, ready to brew beans.
Ha! That makes sense! I was scratching my head there for a minute. I've never roasted my own, but have some friends who have using some sort of popcorn popper technique.

These days I am enjoying beans from Black & White in Wake Forest and Little Waves (CocoaCinnamon) in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 PM

138 posts, read 155,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustoCoppi View Post
If you like Counter Culture, you should try Black & White. It's a bit harder to find, sold mostly in their cafes, but also on-line. I never realized that coffee could taste like lychee, grapefruit, raspberry jam, peaches, and all sorts of other flavors until I tried them. They have some mind blowing single origin coffees. I think they are one of the most interesting roasters in the country right now.
I will be looking for Black & White!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:11 AM

1,204 posts, read 787,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
I love informative posts like this! Are you using a dedicated coffee roaster? I’m a home brewer and a few years ago I saw several companies started selling coffee roasting equipment as well. I slowly backed away before heading down the rabbit hole into another hobby. I’ve been very curious to try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Ha! That makes sense! I was scratching my head there for a minute. I've never roasted my own, but have some friends who have using some sort of popcorn popper technique.

These days I am enjoying beans from Black & White in Wake Forest and Little Waves (CocoaCinnamon) in Durham.
JustMeEC, I use a popcorn popper technique, just like North Raleigh Guy mentioned. It's one of the simplest methods that kinda replicates how people had roasted coffee for centuries before the commercial coffee roasters took over. You have to stay dedicated to roasting to get the results you want though. It took me about 3 months to really "get it"...

I would say I now have at least 2 roast types that I can consistently roast well and get uniform beans. I started doing a decaf lately (not for my own consumption), it is SO hard!! It roasts completely different than the regular beans. It gets dark too fast because it's been processed to remove caffeine, but you have to push it beyond the first crack, otherwise it'll have a very bread like flavor or will smell like stale cereal/rolled oats (yuk!). So that's been a challenge. My last 3 batches came out really good though. So anyway, it's a lot of fun as a hobby and just like a way to totally nerd out. I highly recommend it. Check Sweet Maria's out. I got their starter kit that came with a diary to keep track of your roasts, chart to show roast levels, 8 lbs of different green beans, a thermometer and a popper. You can't really beat their deal: https://www.sweetmarias.com/stovetop...arter-kit.html

Old 03-11-2021, 08:32 AM

18,485 posts, read 15,927,818 times
Cold brew @ home. Even mediocre coffee tastes yummy when it's cold-brewed. No bitterness whatsoever.

My fave coffee right now is Columbian.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:04 AM

13,743 posts, read 12,556,054 times
Quote:
No, just like any WF brand, it is called 365 Value, or something like that.

Just like someone mentioned earlier here, roasting is a bit tricky in large roasters. Plus, the average Joe's coffee palate is a bit odd. They like dark coffee, something that's usually called a Vienna roast. That's because for a LONG time, people drank a pretty terrible coffee here (Starbucks claims, of course, that they reversed that trend; but their regular drip coffee tastes BURNED so they definitely take it to the 2nd crack and possibly beyond).

When you roast coffee you have two check points: 1st crack and 2nd. Most of the third wave coffee is roasted lighter, and pulled bit after the first crack right after you get the oils released. The regular french roast is darker.

Anyway, why am I filling your head with all this gibberish? Even if you get WF coffee try to avoid the Vienna roast. Try something that they are trying to do better, because it is much harder to do consistently good lighter coffee. With the dark coffee you just let it roast until it reaches its 2nd crack. So not much experience and craftsmanship is needed. If you are used to regular run of the mill coffee (so, dark), try their Full City roast instead -- it is not the name, it's roast type, and they usually add it right underneath the coffee name. The next level to try is City. City will be much lighter.

And, here what many people do not realize: the darker the roast, the weaker the coffee. The light roast is going to be very caffeinated.
To add, people say they like a "strong dark cup" but I really think they mean "I don't want a watered down coffee." I also think people say "I want a full dark roast" because they feel it's a sign of inferiority or an unrefined palate to say otherwise. People do the same thing with beer; a lot of them won't say taht they find IPA's too hoppy and heavy since they think that hoppiness is a by-word for quality.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:17 PM

1,462 posts, read 670,832 times
Well, maybe it's my Swedish heritage but I really enjoy Gevalia brand coffee. I get the medium roast. I kinda live for it in the morning. I do not grind the beans in the morning or anything. Not that hard core of a coffee drinker. Plus I'm usually comatose before my first cup....

Old 03-11-2021, 12:43 PM

596 posts, read 680,964 times
Quote:
JustMeEC, I use a popcorn popper technique, just like North Raleigh Guy mentioned. It's one of the simplest methods that kinda replicates how people had roasted coffee for centuries before the commercial coffee roasters took over. You have to stay dedicated to roasting to get the results you want though. It took me about 3 months to really "get it"...

I would say I now have at least 2 roast types that I can consistently roast well and get uniform beans. I started doing a decaf lately (not for my own consumption), it is SO hard!! It roasts completely different than the regular beans. It gets dark too fast because it's been processed to remove caffeine, but you have to push it beyond the first crack, otherwise it'll have a very bread like flavor or will smell like stale cereal/rolled oats (yuk!). So that's been a challenge. My last 3 batches came out really good though. So anyway, it's a lot of fun as a hobby and just like a way to totally nerd out. I highly recommend it. Check Sweet Maria's out. I got their starter kit that came with a diary to keep track of your roasts, chart to show roast levels, 8 lbs of different green beans, a thermometer and a popper. You can't really beat their deal: https://www.sweetmarias.com/stovetop...arter-kit.html
Awesome! I will check this out. Be warned, my wife may track you down for triggering another hobby!

Old 03-11-2021, 02:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,350,144 times
HatchChile sounds like a true coffee nerd (compliment!). All I have to add is the best thing you could ever do to improve your home coffee game is to buy whole beans and a burr grinder. Once you find the coffee to water ratio you like (I use a small food scale for consitency) your home coffee will be dramatically better than anything before that relied on pre-ground coffee.

I don't care if you geek out doing pour overs or AeroPress or just like to use a Mr. Coffee or other drip-style coffee machine. Freshly ground beans have so much more flavor.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:17 PM

600 posts, read 3,455,440 times
Quote:
No, just like any WF brand, it is called 365 Value, or something like that.

Just like someone mentioned earlier here, roasting is a bit tricky in large roasters. Plus, the average Joe's coffee palate is a bit odd. They like dark coffee, something that's usually called a Vienna roast. That's because for a LONG time, people drank a pretty terrible coffee here (Starbucks claims, of course, that they reversed that trend; but their regular drip coffee tastes BURNED so they definitely take it to the 2nd crack and possibly beyond).

When you roast coffee you have two check points: 1st crack and 2nd. Most of the third wave coffee is roasted lighter, and pulled bit after the first crack right after you get the oils released. The regular french roast is darker.

Anyway, why am I filling your head with all this gibberish? Even if you get WF coffee try to avoid the Vienna roast. Try something that they are trying to do better, because it is much harder to do consistently good lighter coffee. With the dark coffee you just let it roast until it reaches its 2nd crack. So not much experience and craftsmanship is needed. If you are used to regular run of the mill coffee (so, dark), try their Full City roast instead -- it is not the name, it's roast type, and they usually add it right underneath the coffee name. The next level to try is City. City will be much lighter.

And, here what many people do not realize: the darker the roast, the weaker the coffee. The light roast is going to be very caffeinated.
Thanks for keeping me from doing all that typing. It is accurate info. I like one of their coffees labeled as Island Blend. A flavorful light roast. You can buy these on Amazon or in the store. Enjoy!

Regards,
Streamer1212

Last edited by Streamer1212; 03-11-2021 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: incompleteinfo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary