Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:47 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,592 times

Advertisements

Anybody still reading this? Whole Foods has some very nice house brand coffees at varying roast levels and is a bargain to boot. Like 24 ozs. for $10.99. Already ground if you don't have a grinder, but whole bean if you do. Used to love Third Place. Still love Cup a Joe on Hillsborough. La Farm Bakery brews a nice cup, and the pastries there are the best on the planet.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 AM

29 posts, read 19,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post
Great post! We have visited many on your list. I have to say, Cup a Joe is a trip. Great coffee, unusual vibe in that space. And, have to agree, Counter Culture has some of the finest coffee beans we’ve ever tasted.

If you like Counter Culture, you should try Black & White. It's a bit harder to find, sold mostly in their cafes, but also on-line. I never realized that coffee could taste like lychee, grapefruit, raspberry jam, peaches, and all sorts of other flavors until I tried them. They have some mind blowing single origin coffees. I think they are one of the most interesting roasters in the country right now.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:05 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hold up, what brew method are you using that you only get 5 cups of coffee from a pound bag????

I usually use between about 23-25 grams in my pour over which is pretty typical and can get 12-16 cups of coffee from a pound depending on how strong I make it.

You are correct! I should have said about 8-10 cups. Because I make it for 2 people. I was strictly counting my own cups, lol. I use a pour over method too, and about 40 grams every day. So that would make about 8-10. I am being conservative in my calculations because when you roast green beans, they lose moisture so a pound of green beans usually yields less than a pound of roasted, ready to brew beans.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
You are correct! I should have said about 8-10 cups. Because I make it for 2 people. I was strictly counting my own cups, lol. I use a pour over method too, and about 40 grams every day. So that would make about 8-10. I am being conservative in my calculations because when you roast green beans, they lose moisture so a pound of green beans usually yields less than a pound of roasted, ready to brew beans.
Any idea how much you lose weight-wise? Like how much more volume is a 1 lb bag of store bought beans compared to a 1lb bag of green?

Old 03-10-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Any idea how much you lose weight-wise? Like how much more volume is a 1 lb bag of store bought beans compared to a 1lb bag of green?

I used to weigh it a lot when I just started it out, on average I lose about 10%. But, I roast about 8oz per batch. So a VERY small batch coffee, haha. It also depends on the green beans: in my experience you lose less on wet-processed coffee than the natural, dry-processed one. I personally prefer dry processed coffee flavor, so I buy it anyway.

Also, chaff! When you roast green beans, some get a lot of chaff others don't. Again with wet-processed coffee you get less chaff. I also noticed that high quality Ethiopian coffee yields a very small amount of chaff.

After trying multiple varieties for almost 1.5 years, I now stick with Ethiopian and Guatemalan coffees from Sweet Maria's. Once in a while I splurge on their special blends, they are very good too. I found East Timor and Java coffees are my least favorite. I tried to roast them so many different ways, but still do not like the flavors. I do not think these coffees are "there" yet. I used to get a 3-5 lbs just to get my average cost down (I order 20-25lbs for one order, green beans do not get bad), but then quickly realized that Sweet Maria's rating system is really good. I figured I'd rather pay a $1-$2 per lb on highly rated coffees anyway than not using Java/Timor coffee just sit there b/c no one likes it.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:00 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
Anybody still reading this? Whole Foods has some very nice house brand coffees at varying roast levels and is a bargain to boot. Like 24 ozs. for $10.99. Already ground if you don't have a grinder, but whole bean if you do. Used to love Third Place. Still love Cup a Joe on Hillsborough. La Farm Bakery brews a nice cup, and the pastries there are the best on the planet.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Yes.

Is it literally called WHOLE FOODS COFFEE or is there a brand name? Maybe something I could find on Amazon? I could stop by the WF on Six Forks & Strickland in Raleigh.

How good is WF coffee on a scale from 1 to 10? I should check reviews online.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Yes.

Is it literally called WHOLE FOODS COFFEE or is there a brand name? Maybe something I could find on Amazon? I could stop by the WF on Six Forks & Strickland in Raleigh.

How good is WF coffee on a scale from 1 to 10? I should check reviews online.

No, just like any WF brand, it is called 365 Value, or something like that.

Just like someone mentioned earlier here, roasting is a bit tricky in large roasters. Plus, the average Joe's coffee palate is a bit odd. They like dark coffee, something that's usually called a Vienna roast. That's because for a LONG time, people drank a pretty terrible coffee here (Starbucks claims, of course, that they reversed that trend; but their regular drip coffee tastes BURNED so they definitely take it to the 2nd crack and possibly beyond).

When you roast coffee you have two check points: 1st crack and 2nd. Most of the third wave coffee is roasted lighter, and pulled bit after the first crack right after you get the oils released. The regular french roast is darker.

Anyway, why am I filling your head with all this gibberish? Even if you get WF coffee try to avoid the Vienna roast. Try something that they are trying to do better, because it is much harder to do consistently good lighter coffee. With the dark coffee you just let it roast until it reaches its 2nd crack. So not much experience and craftsmanship is needed. If you are used to regular run of the mill coffee (so, dark), try their Full City roast instead -- it is not the name, it's roast type, and they usually add it right underneath the coffee name. The next level to try is City. City will be much lighter.

And, here what many people do not realize: the darker the roast, the weaker the coffee. The light roast is going to be very caffeinated.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:58 PM

595 posts, read 677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
No, just like any WF brand, it is called 365 Value, or something like that.

Just like someone mentioned earlier here, roasting is a bit tricky in large roasters. Plus, the average Joe's coffee palate is a bit odd. They like dark coffee, something that's usually called a Vienna roast. That's because for a LONG time, people drank a pretty terrible coffee here (Starbucks claims, of course, that they reversed that trend; but their regular drip coffee tastes BURNED so they definitely take it to the 2nd crack and possibly beyond).

When you roast coffee you have two check points: 1st crack and 2nd. Most of the third wave coffee is roasted lighter, and pulled bit after the first crack right after you get the oils released. The regular french roast is darker.

Anyway, why am I filling your head with all this gibberish? Even if you get WF coffee try to avoid the Vienna roast. Try something that they are trying to do better, because it is much harder to do consistently good lighter coffee. With the dark coffee you just let it roast until it reaches its 2nd crack. So not much experience and craftsmanship is needed. If you are used to regular run of the mill coffee (so, dark), try their Full City roast instead -- it is not the name, it's roast type, and they usually add it right underneath the coffee name. The next level to try is City. City will be much lighter.

And, here what many people do not realize: the darker the roast, the weaker the coffee. The light roast is going to be very caffeinated.
I love informative posts like this! Are you using a dedicated coffee roaster? I’m a home brewer and a few years ago I saw several companies started selling coffee roasting equipment as well. I slowly backed away before heading down the rabbit hole into another hobby. I’ve been very curious to try it.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
$2.79 Wegmans canned traditional ground coffee is how I roll haha
now you're just being mean pointing out that Raleigh 27608/27609 etc has a Wegman's within 5 minutes of their house

Old 03-10-2021, 04:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
man, you personal coffee roasters/grinders are gonna make it hard for the OP to make a killing with their new-concept coffeehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary