Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 10:42 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,085,878 times

Advertisements

No in general BC is not a good place for independent businesses. Restaurants are the only thing that comes to mind that are independent... like Champa, the Beer garden, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 10:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,627,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Brier Creek has never been the place to find independent businesses in general tbh
Except for Flame Kebab!
(sorry, I can never miss a chance to plug Flame Kebab).

Old 03-05-2021, 11:00 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,273,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I agree with the OP with one caveat. I have an independent coffee shop close to where I work (Deja Brew). But if I work from home it doesn't help me. I live out in Brier Creek. We have Caribou (terrible), Starbucks (terrible but acceptable) and soon our own Dunkin' Donuts. (Don't get me started.) Any others that I missed? I wish we could have our own Joe Van Gogh coffee shop.

I think it's much better if you aren't living in the suburbs. Meaning, much better if you are in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, Cary, etc.
one, you don't know how to make coffee?

two, if you want a Joe van Gogh ... open one up and Brier Creek will have it's own.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Except for Flame Kebab!
Yes it's pretty good.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:39 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,588,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Except for Flame Kebab!
Also A Slice of NY, still an all-time favorite pizza place.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Also A Slice of NY, still an all-time favorite pizza place.
I haven't gone back there for 10 years. Didn't like it. YMMV.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:40 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,588,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I haven't gone back there for 10 years. Didn't like it. YMMV.
Typically I'd get all Zen and roll with the "YMMV" comment, but as someone who grew up in NYC and has a deep appreciation for what the non-NYC world likes to refer to as New York style pizza, I'm manning my post.

A Slice of NY is owned and operated by a family that relocated here from the Tri-State area. Their pizza is authentic NY, their assortment of counter pies probably the most extensive I've encountered outside of where I grew up and their product consistently excellent. For whatever reason you didn't like it, that's fine because your opinion is absolutely yours to shape and offer. But if you consider yourself a fan of NY style pizza and didn't like what they served, it's a Zitsky problem, not A Slice of NY problem. I have eaten there probably more than a hundred times over the past decade plus and have never had a bad experience.

You're free to flash your coffee connoisseur badge and have at the major players, but leave A Slice of NY alone.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Typically I'd get all Zen and roll with the "YMMV" comment, but as someone who grew up in NYC and has a deep appreciation for what the non-NYC world likes to refer to as New York style pizza, I'm manning my post.

A Slice of NY is owned and operated by a family that relocated here from the Tri-State area. Their pizza is authentic NY, their assortment of counter pies probably the most extensive I've encountered outside of where I grew up and their product consistently excellent. For whatever reason you didn't like it, that's fine because your opinion is absolutely yours to shape and offer. But if you consider yourself a fan of NY style pizza and didn't like what they served, it's a Zitsky problem, not A Slice of NY problem. I have eaten there probably more than a hundred times over the past decade plus and have never had a bad experience.

You're free to flash your coffee connoisseur badge and have at the major players, but leave A Slice of NY alone.
Anyone can read the Yelp reviews and decide for themselves.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:09 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,885,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
one, you don't know how to make coffee?

two, if you want a Joe van Gogh ... open one up and Brier Creek will have it's own.
I was out early here in Greenville, SC, driving to a FaceTime showing appointment (trying to get a jump on the 100 other showings for that home) and I could not believe the line for the drive through at Starbucks! I only visit a coffee shop to meet clients or grab something to wake me up in the afternoon if I am out showing all day.

I do like the one on Strickland Road- I guess the name has changed? We met friends there the last time we were in Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 AM

6,659 posts, read 5,613,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I was out early here in Greenville, SC, driving to a FaceTime showing appointment (trying to get a jump on the 100 other showings for that home) and I could not believe the line for the drive through at Starbucks! I only visit a coffee shop to meet clients or grab something to wake me up in the afternoon if I am out showing all day.

I do like the one on Strickland Road- I guess the name has changed? We met friends there the last time we were in Raleigh.
Nora Cafe? That’s one of my Raleigh favorites (used to be called Maude’s Garden)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary