Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 09:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy the coffee scene in Raleigh and the Triangle as whole. The area is home to lots of great local shops, incredible roasters and cold brew creators. We even have two US Barista Champs that call the Triangle home.

There may be a few corners of the area without a local shop, but that is usally due to lease restrictions prevening competitors when places like Starbucks are already located in the same strip mall. Aside from that I'd love to hear what people think is missing from the Traingle coffee scene. Pound for pound I think it is probably the best you are going to find among cities of comparable size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I really enjoy the coffee scene in Raleigh and the Triangle as whole. The area is home to lots of great local shops, incredible roasters and cold brew creators. We even have two US Barista Champs that call the Triangle home.

There may be a few corners of the area without a local shop, but that is usally due to lease restrictions prevening competitors when places like Starbucks are already located in the same strip mall. Aside from that I'd love to hear what people think is missing from the Traingle coffee scene. Pound for pound I think it is probably the best you are going to find among cities of comparable size.

"I'll drink (coffee) to that!"

Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 AM

29 posts, read 19,311 times
Have you tried:
  • Juballa Coffee (2, soon to be 3 locations) are as good as you'll find anywhere, great espresso, pour-over, even tea
  • Black & White Coffee: Owned by the 2 US Barista Champs North Raleigh Guy noted. Has a national reputation as a roaster for their amazing single origin coffees; 3 locations
  • Solas: Cozy spot, great for hanging out, good job with espresso drinks and pour-over
  • Benelux
  • Morning Times
  • Heirloom
  • Iris Coffee
  • Idle Hour
  • Benchwarmers - great bagels but also great coffee
  • 24th and Lawrence
  • Sir Walter
  • Third Place
  • Cup a Joe
These are just off the top of my head in Raleigh. And if that fails you, you can always pick up a bag of Counter Culture coffee at most grocery stores in the area. They're HQ'd in Durham and one of the biggest names in third wave coffee.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustoCoppi View Post
Have you tried:
  • Juballa Coffee (2, soon to be 3 locations) are as good as you'll find anywhere, great espresso, pour-over, even tea
  • Black & White Coffee: Owned by the 2 US Barista Champs North Raleigh Guy noted. Has a national reputation as a roaster for their amazing single origin coffees; 3 locations
  • Solas: Cozy spot, great for hanging out, good job with espresso drinks and pour-over
  • Benelux
  • Morning Times
  • Heirloom
  • Iris Coffee
  • Idle Hour
  • Benchwarmers - great bagels but also great coffee
  • 24th and Lawrence
  • Sir Walter
  • Third Place
  • Cup a Joe
These are just off the top of my head in Raleigh. And if that fails you, you can always pick up a bag of Counter Culture coffee at most grocery stores in the area. They're HQ'd in Durham and one of the biggest names in third wave coffee.
*42nd and Lawrence (not 24th & Lawrence)

Also NoRa Cafe, Lucky Tree, Fount Coffee, Crema, New World Cafe, Pine State Coffee, Full Bloom, Global Village, The Optimist, BREW, Deja Brew, Joe Van Gogh

And a bunch of bakeries that have indoor seating + have counter culture coffee (Lucettegrace, Boulted Bread, Yellow Dog etc....)

Old 03-08-2021, 01:28 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,540,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustoCoppi View Post
Yeah, when I first moved to DC, I was really excited to try out the coffee shops. Turns out that pretty much everywhere was just selling Counter Culture... which means that the Triangle is a coffee aqueduct pointed north.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Yeah, when I first moved to DC, I was really excited to try out the coffee shops. Turns out that pretty much everywhere was just selling Counter Culture... which means that the Triangle is a coffee aqueduct pointed north.

CC consistently gets voted as the top roaster in the nation. I never understood the idea of someone wanting to have lots of coffee shops rather than high quality coffee roasters. Why have 50 coffee shops if all of them are using one roaster's coffee (or buying some trash by bulk - not a single origin (so mixed with who knows what), not rated beans)?

I personally roast my own coffee, so I drink the freshest coffee in the world (from my roaster to my grinder then to Chemix and my cup), but when I run out I get CC or if I crave an espresso my current favorite is Cocoa Cinnamon, I like their roast too, I think it's called the Fourth Dimension (??). So I'd rather see more high quality roasters than mediocre coffee shops.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:13 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Certainly I can't be the only person who keeps reading that title as Raleigh being a coffee dessert

Old 03-08-2021, 02:23 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Certainly I can't be the only person who keeps reading that title as Raleigh being a coffee dessert
Bittersweet and Lucettegrace are great places to go for both!

Old 03-08-2021, 02:51 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
CC consistently gets voted as the top roaster in the nation. I never understood the idea of someone wanting to have lots of coffee shops rather than high quality coffee roasters. Why have 50 coffee shops if all of them are using one roaster's coffee (or buying some trash by bulk - not a single origin (so mixed with who knows what), not rated beans)?

I personally roast my own coffee, so I drink the freshest coffee in the world (from my roaster to my grinder then to Chemix and my cup), but when I run out I get CC or if I crave an espresso my current favorite is Cocoa Cinnamon, I like their roast too, I think it's called the Fourth Dimension (??). So I'd rather see more high quality roasters than mediocre coffee shops.

I pop into Handi Hugo's and pick up the pot for a sniff. If it smells like it has been on the burner for less than an hour, and is over half full, you've met my threshold of "Coffee."

Old 03-08-2021, 04:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I pop into Handi Hugo's and pick up the pot for a sniff. If it smells like it has been on the burner for less than an hour, and is over half full, you've met my threshold of "Coffee."
You should give Bojangle’s coffee a try Mike...hmm...hmm...hmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary