Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 06:02 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
LMAO.

I know I may sound like a coffee snob.... yeah, who am I kidding, I am.

I do like good coffee. But I like my money too. Because I roast it myself, it costs me about $7 per pound. And, I do buy a really high quality, verified, rated, fair trade green beans. 1lb coffee makes about 60oz of brewed coffee. So if you drink 12 oz, that's about 5 cups of coffee. $7/5=$1.4. So, yep, everyone should do it.

Plus when you roast your own coffee, you kinda start really "getting" coffee.

Anyway, for those who are interested here is some info: Home Coffee Roasting an excellent book to get started;Sweet Maria's Home Brewing -- this is a shop out of Oakland, CA where I buy my green beans. They also have excellent educational materials.

Finally, a good tip about getting your coffee at a coffee shop, try to switch from drip coffee to Americano. The price is going to be almost the same, but for Americano they'll grind your coffee just for you, and you'll at least get a freshly ground coffee for the same $$.

And, with that I stop this snobbery.
Dang.
I'm glad I didn't mention the Keurig at the office and the Lowes Foods pods, 30 pods for $10....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 06:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 784,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Dang.
I'm glad I didn't mention the Keurig at the office and the Lowes Foods pods, 30 pods for $10....

Yeah, I can't beat that.

Gonna be honest, I am afraid my snobby taste buds would probably pack up and leave me too.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I can't beat that.

Gonna be honest, I am afraid my snobby taste buds would probably pack up and leave me too.
Well... Honestly, I generally drink run of the mill coffee.
But, I have sort of moved up a tiny notch.

Instead of buying HT house coffee when they are Buy2, Get 3 free, whenever I can, I buy fancier beans when I find them on sale. I like Charleston Beans.
And, I dumped the chopper and bought a cheap burr grinder. That actually does make a difference.

But, when I just need caffeine and I have limited choice, my tastes smoothly revert to my basic animal instincts.

And, if I am at your place, and you offer coffee, Imma drinkin what's offered.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,633,507 times
Though I am a pizza and bagel snob, I drink Folgers

BUT. When given excellent coffee, I will enjoy it, though not completely understand it

Old 03-09-2021, 12:24 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,888,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well... Honestly, I generally drink run of the mill coffee.
But, I have sort of moved up a tiny notch.

Instead of buying HT house coffee when they are Buy2, Get 3 free, whenever I can, I buy fancier beans when I find them on sale. I like Charleston Beans.
And, I dumped the chopper and bought a cheap burr grinder. That actually does make a difference.

But, when I just need caffeine and I have limited choice, my tastes smoothly revert to my basic animal instincts.

And, if I am at your place, and you offer coffee, Imma drinkin what's offered.
LOL I used to buy those HT coffees all the time, but they weren't that fresh by the time I got to all of them. I like Charleston beans, as well as Peets, and there is a local roaster about 2 miles from my house that has delicious beans. Are there local roasters in the Raleigh area?

Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
LOL I used to buy those HT coffees all the time, but they weren't that fresh by the time I got to all of them. I like Charleston beans, as well as Peets, and there is a local roaster about 2 miles from my house that has delicious beans. Are there local roasters in the Raleigh area?

I went through a LOT of Peets, before I realized, to MY personal taste, I wouldn't pay any more for it than I do for HT.
It just was underwhelming to me.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:45 PM

13,730 posts, read 12,527,528 times
Quote:
CC consistently gets voted as the top roaster in the nation. I never understood the idea of someone wanting to have lots of coffee shops rather than high quality coffee roasters. Why have 50 coffee shops if all of them are using one roaster's coffee (or buying some trash by bulk - not a single origin (so mixed with who knows what), not rated beans)?
I agree. But on the same token, how many restaurants from high end places down the line are served by the same food distributors?
Quote:
I personally roast my own coffee, so I drink the freshest coffee in the world (from my roaster to my grinder then to Chemix and my cup), but when I run out I get CC or if I crave an espresso my current favorite is Cocoa Cinnamon, I like their roast too, I think it's called the Fourth Dimension (??). So I'd rather see more high quality roasters than mediocre coffee shops.
My brother used to work in a coffee shop (small chain, really) that roasted their own, he trained people how to roast coffee.

I asked why the one shop he worked at (of two,) he said fire codes stopped it in one location.

He said that, at least on a commercial level, it was trickier than you thought, since if the roaster overdid it once the machine was ruined for lighter applications; all subsequent batches would be imparted with an overburnt taste.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:17 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,077,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I like Counter Culture from Durham.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:28 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times
I live in walking distance to the Larry's Coffee warehouse in Raleigh and they're a pretty solid option as well.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:33 PM

1,462 posts, read 668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I stepped it up this year and got an AeroPress - https://aeropress.com/
It sounds interesting. However, is it made of plastic? I can taste heated plastic at 50 paces and even bought an all stainless steel electric coffee percolator because of all the plastic used in the other coffee makers. Especially the new ones. To me the coffee tasted like burnt plastic.

Does that make me a stainless steel snob?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary