Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 04:10 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
It sounds interesting. However, is it made of plastic? I can taste heated plastic at 50 paces and even bought an all stainless steel electric coffee percolator because of all the plastic used in the other coffee makers. Especially the new ones. To me the coffee tasted like burnt plastic.

Does that make me a stainless steel snob?
Yeah it is made of plastic - that's probably the #1 complaint about it but I can't taste it personally so all good on my end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Pa7hxJUfA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 05:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Any place in Apex for great coffee? I think I may have found the coffee desert you speak of. I mean, I love Apex, but still...

Last edited by loveautumn; 03-09-2021 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Add comment

Old 03-09-2021, 05:51 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Any place in Apex for great coffee? I think I may have found the coffee desert you speak of. I mean, I love Apex, but still...
Wake Zone Coffee House and Common Grounds!

Old 03-09-2021, 08:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
LMAO.

I know I may sound like a coffee snob.... yeah, who am I kidding, I am.

I do like good coffee. But I like my money too. Because I roast it myself, it costs me about $7 per pound. And, I do buy a really high quality, verified, rated, fair trade green beans. 1lb coffee makes about 60oz of brewed coffee. So if you drink 12 oz, that's about 5 cups of coffee. $7/5=$1.4. So, yep, everyone should do it.

Plus when you roast your own coffee, you kinda start really "getting" coffee.

Anyway, for those who are interested here is some info: Home Coffee Roasting an excellent book to get started;Sweet Maria's Home Brewing -- this is a shop out of Oakland, CA where I buy my green beans. They also have excellent educational materials.

Finally, a good tip about getting your coffee at a coffee shop, try to switch from drip coffee to Americano. The price is going to be almost the same, but for Americano they'll grind your coffee just for you, and you'll at least get a freshly ground coffee for the same $$.

And, with that I stop this snobbery.
Hold up, what brew method are you using that you only get 5 cups of coffee from a pound bag????

I usually use between about 23-25 grams in my pour over which is pretty typical and can get 12-16 cups of coffee from a pound depending on how strong I make it.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 PM

138 posts, read 154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
We like Common Grounds and Mission Market in downtown Apex, as well as The Wake Zone Coffee House on Old Jenk’s Rd.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:55 PM

138 posts, read 154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustoCoppi View Post
Have you tried:
  • Juballa Coffee (2, soon to be 3 locations) are as good as you'll find anywhere, great espresso, pour-over, even tea
  • Black & White Coffee: Owned by the 2 US Barista Champs North Raleigh Guy noted. Has a national reputation as a roaster for their amazing single origin coffees; 3 locations
  • Solas: Cozy spot, great for hanging out, good job with espresso drinks and pour-over
  • Benelux
  • Morning Times
  • Heirloom
  • Iris Coffee
  • Idle Hour
  • Benchwarmers - great bagels but also great coffee
  • 24th and Lawrence
  • Sir Walter
  • Third Place
  • Cup a Joe
These are just off the top of my head in Raleigh. And if that fails you, you can always pick up a bag of Counter Culture coffee at most grocery stores in the area. They're HQ'd in Durham and one of the biggest names in third wave coffee.
Great post! We have visited many on your list. I have to say, Cup a Joe is a trip. Great coffee, unusual vibe in that space. And, have to agree, Counter Culture has some of the finest coffee beans we’ve ever tasted.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post
Great post! We have visited many on your list. I have to say, Cup a Joe is a trip. Great coffee, unusual vibe in that space. And, have to agree, Counter Culture has some of the finest coffee beans we’ve ever tasted.
Every time I go to Raleigh a friend and I go to Cup a Joe on Hillsborough St. The place is great.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:30 AM

Thx for the Apex suggestions, I’ll definitely check them out. Looking forward to venturing out more now!

Old 03-10-2021, 06:51 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I like Counter Culture from Durham.
I really like Counter Culture coffee, and it's the coffee I would buy for company, to treat myself, etc. It's the coffee I'd insist on using my pour-over for.

But saying they're a local roaster is like saying Carolina Ale House is a local sports bar. True, technically. But ubiquitous enough elsewhere that it loses some of it's cache.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:15 AM

Thx for the Apex suggestions, I’ll definitely check them out. Looking forward to venturing out more now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary