Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 10:55 AM

39 posts, read 24,168 times

Advertisements

When checking flights for a weekend or extended weekend trip, the fares were higher than expected, nearly $500 and over unless booked out a few weeks in advance. Very few are non-stop.

Also checked flights from Charlotte but they are not much lower to warrant the long drive.

Are there other alternatives? We don't fly much and are unfamiliar with this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 11:08 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,745,935 times
Not much available well under $500 that isn't super inconvenient if looking in the next two weeks, but if you really wanna save money:

Allegiant Airlines has a nonstop from Asheville to Austin for $98 roundtrip leaving Friday and returning Monday. You'll need to research their bag fees if you plan to bring onboard or check. Once you get to Austin, it is a 3 hour drive to DFW area.

CLT has nonstops on AA for $301 if looking at the 19th / 22nd combo.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:23 PM

1,462 posts, read 670,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Not much available well under $500 that isn't super inconvenient if looking in the next two weeks, but if you really wanna save money:

Allegiant Airlines has a nonstop from Asheville to Austin for $98 roundtrip leaving Friday and returning Monday. You'll need to research their bag fees if you plan to bring onboard or check. Once you get to Austin, it is a 3 hour drive to DFW area.

CLT has nonstops on AA for $301 if looking at the 19th / 22nd combo.
Going to Austin sounds like a really good idea. Then you can get a slice of Home Pizza (I think that's what it's called) on South Congress Street. Austin is a really fun visit (great donuts but the place that sells them escapes me).

Old 03-11-2021, 12:43 PM

13,742 posts, read 12,556,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
When checking flights for a weekend or extended weekend trip, the fares were higher than expected, nearly $500 and over unless booked out a few weeks in advance. Very few are non-stop.

Also checked flights from Charlotte but they are not much lower to warrant the long drive.

Are there other alternatives? We don't fly much and are unfamiliar with this route.
Well yes, the closer your booking day to departure date the more expensive it is. Sweet spot is typically 6 weeks in advance. Southwest to DAL (Love Field) is under $300 per person looking at it.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,195,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Austin is a really fun visit (great donuts but the place that sells them escapes me).
I'm sure they have lots of doughnuts, but Gourdough's is one of my favorites.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:10 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,797,111 times
Quote:
Are there other alternatives?
I hear cosmic surfboards will get you there fast

Old 03-11-2021, 04:05 PM

39 posts, read 24,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well yes, the closer your booking day to departure date the more expensive it is. Sweet spot is typically 6 weeks in advance. Southwest to DAL (Love Field) is under $300 per person looking at it.
Thanks for the replies everyone, repped you.

I did check DAL but didn't see anything, will check again, thanks.

Austin might be another trip for another time, this time need direct.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:15 PM

13,742 posts, read 12,556,054 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone, repped you.

I did check DAL but didn't see anything, will check again, thanks.

Austin might be another trip for another time, this time need direct.
Did you check Southwest’s website?

Old 03-11-2021, 05:03 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,754,629 times
The problem is that vaccinated people can return to travel faster than the airlines can pull aircraft out of long-term storage, return flight crews and support personnel to service, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if we endure hire fares and packed flights until supply catches up with the accrued demand.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,541,491 times
I commute to NY weekly and flights are wiiiiiide open.

Looking at places like FL, TX, etc, places with decent economies and such that have mostly eliminated business closure mandates, bookings are solid.

RDU is mostly dead though, our airport was a very business centric airport, and bookings are still very thin with limited flight availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary