Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:11 AM

5,871 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ugh, I hate Aldi. Just do not get it.
Aldi (and Lidl) are hard discounters, offering very limited selections at a very low price, often up to 40% less. I was surprised during a recent trip when they had TWO choices for ketchup, as usually they only have one of anything. Like many generics, some of their stuff is not very good. However, other things, like their Brioche buns and dark chocolate peanut butter cups are better than any of the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I always really like Publix' bakery, especially Cuban bread, though the Cuban bread here isn't as good as in FL, IMO.

Now with Wegmans I do not need the Publix bakery.

But I have to say I haven't been very happy with the produce at the Chapel Hill Wegmans, and I had really hyped it. Something is going wrong there. Bell peppers starting to wrinkle, bagged kale expiring in a couple of days, items missing. The Cary store is better.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Best grocery store bakery in the Triangle is Weaver Street IMO. Can't be beat. I have not been to Wegman's yet, but I can't imagine it can compare. Weaver Street has an actual bakery in Hillsborough. Their sourdough bread is the best, so fresh no preservatives — that and their chocolate chunk cookies are what my kids grew up on.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Best grocery store bakery in the Triangle is Weaver Street IMO. Can't be beat. I have not been to Wegman's yet, but I can't imagine it can compare. Weaver Street has an actual bakery in Hillsborough. Their sourdough bread is the best, so fresh no preservatives — that and their chocolate chunk cookies are what my kids grew up on.
Wegmans is an actual bakery too, but I do lurve Weaver Street

Old 04-04-2021, 11:36 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Publix bakery and deli is good, and so is their fried chicken. But overall I think I prefer Harris Teeter and their prices seem to be lower than Publix which has increased more than Harris Teeter in the past year.
If it’s Friday, I go to the Teeter. That $5 sushi is hard to beat. The sub special is also great.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:17 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Ugh, I hate Aldi. Just do not get it. Been there done that. Never wanna go back.

For the mainstream grocery stores I'm a Harris Teeter shopper, but I also like Trader Joes. I have not been to Wegman's yet. Letting the crowds die down some. Usually shop at Weaver Street, too, and the farmer's markets can't be beat for produce. HT is for our junk food needs. Weaver Street for the best bread in the area and other staples, great produce, much of it local. Farmer's markets for all local super fresh produce.
Same! I tried both Lidl and Aldi and was seriously disappointed. Yes they were dirt cheap but the quality of almost everything I picked up was questionable. Bought a few things to try and couldn't even eat them...the sliced lunch meat was shiny as plastic and did not smell like turkey. My dog didn't even eat it.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:

For sure! I've been making my own sourdough bread for over 10 years now, so I do not buy them at stores. But I do like Weaver Street's baguettes, very good, chewy and airy. They also sell local flour milled right here in NC. I do not mind going to Hillsborough WSM on weekends, I usually combine my hikes with shopping. But, the Carroboro/CH location is a bit of a mess, IMO. It's too tight and the check out area gets crazy because of that. I wish they would reconfigure it. The outside seating area is cool though, at least pre-Covid it was nice. I haven't been there since Covid hit though.

Also, a quick shout out to Durham Co-op. It's smaller than WSM, but definitely has everything you need. Plus they sell J-cafe's bakery items -- challah and babka are REALLY good. Their beer selection is small but they do carry lots of local craft beer. They've recently expanded their meat and deli section so they now sell more stuff -- pretty much everything local and sourced by "Left hand meats" (?). The problem with Durham Co-op again it's a bit small and if you go during busy times, it gets a bit crazy.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:24 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Same! I tried both Lidl and Aldi and was seriously disappointed. Yes they were dirt cheap but the quality of almost everything I picked up was questionable. Bought a few things to try and couldn't even eat them...the sliced lunch meat was shiny as plastic and did not smell like turkey. My dog didn't even eat it.
I sometimes drop into stores only for stuff I wouldn't put into my mouth.
Lidl and Ollies come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary