Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 06:29 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times

Advertisements

Surprise, it is NC, isn't it? Trump country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Surprise, it is NC, isn't it? Trump country.
Not all of it is, particularly in the Triangle. Wake County, where the wedding venue is located, had a majority vote for Biden, as did Durham and Orange counties.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:13 PM

715 posts, read 889,388 times
I would respect their decision to turn down the couple if they were honest rather than the excuse that it goes against their beliefs.....maybe one day that crowd can actual live like Jesus and love thy neighbor.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
I would respect their decision to turn down the couple if they were honest rather than the excuse that it goes against their beliefs.....maybe one day that crowd can actual live like Jesus and love thy neighbor.
Yeah, I feel like the extent to which this affects one’s personal (not business) beliefs would be more like “my faith prevents ME from getting married to someone of the same sex.”

Since a venue is just a place people rent out, refusing to rent it based on these men’s sexual orientation is just straight discrimination.

I did not see any mention of the venue owner performing the ceremony or being part of the wedding itself.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:21 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Marriage is a sacrament in the Catholic church and not allowed. It's completely valid for a Catholic to think supporting another's gay marriage is a venial sin.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:43 AM

781 posts, read 744,471 times
I doubt the business owners are Catholic, there just aren’t many down here.

Anyway, most Catholics I know do support gay marriage. This is my age group 30s/40s and my parents generation 60s/70s. However, with the exception of one friend, none of them actually go to church. I remember my boss (up north) in her mid 50s telling me she was the youngest person at mass when she would attend. I’m a former Catholic, perhaps the church could modernize some of these views to get the younger crowd back. That’s a while other subject though.

Yes, NC is a red state but I do think it will change in the next decade. I’m in one of the highly desired towns and it seems quite moderate to me.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Marriage is a sacrament in the Catholic church and not allowed. It's completely valid for a Catholic to think supporting another's gay marriage is a venial sin.

A question if I may.

What about marriages which aren't conducted by the church; Catholic or otherwise?

I can certainly understand (even while I don't share their view) that Joe and and Jane Q Public may not support same sex marriage as it goes against their faith. Even though another couple getting married really has little to do with them; they certainly aren't entering into a gay marriage and aren't being asked to.

But there are many, many marriages which are not sacraments. I was married by a Justice of the Peace at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas after obtaining a marriage license at the Clark Co. Marriage License Bureau. While I was raised Catholic, I left the church when it came time to be Confirmed and my wife was raised a Wicken mother. We requested there be no mention of god, faith, religion, sacraments etc in our ceremony. Not because we are antagonistic towards faith, but because we weren't getting married in the context of our faith. Our ceremony was about us, joining together in a legal civil manner (and all the fun things that come with that, like tax returns, hospital visits etc) and to share that day with family and friends.

I have no issues with a Church declining to marry a gay couple. I have no issues with a small business, assuming it is legally set up a 501c3 non profit, from doing business in such an event. But beyond that, you lose me.

Marriage was a sacrament to you (?) and is to Catholics....but you're projecting if you apply that belief to everyone's situation. People can and are legally bound together in the eyes of the law and never did so within the confines of god. That may make their (my) marriage less real to you, but I assure you it isn't. The IRS disagrees with that position, as does the Social Security Administration, Private Insurance companies (and the employers who provide said benes) disagree with it.

In closing, here is the Rorschach test I apply to these situations when they come up. If the small business refuses to serve a gay couple based on religious beliefs, ok, then I must assume they also refuse to serve a straight couple whose marriage isn't the first for either, since a second marriage is a sin towards the first. Or that the couple in question didn't live together prior to getting married or that they didn't have sex before the ceremony (Corinthians has a bunch of verses on this).

If the small business isn't checking on those other situations (not first marriage, or if the couple is living in sin to name a couple) then their refusal to serve a gay couple really has very little to do with "not engaging with situations their faith tells them are sinful" and really is about something quite different. God doesn't allow men to pick and choose when it's ok to engage with a sinner and when its not...Ezekiel lays this out very clearly.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
I doubt the business owners are Catholic, there just aren’t many down here.

Anyway, most Catholics I know do support gay marriage. This is my age group 30s/40s and my parents generation 60s/70s. However, with the exception of one friend, none of them actually go to church. I remember my boss (up north) in her mid 50s telling me she was the youngest person at mass when she would attend. I’m a former Catholic, perhaps the church could modernize some of these views to get the younger crowd back. That’s a while other subject though.

Yes, NC is a red state but I do think it will change in the next decade. I’m in one of the highly desired towns and it seems quite moderate to me.
Actually, Raleigh has experienced massive growth in the Catholic population. Lots of Catholic transplants from the Northeast. It’s not going to rival New Orleans anytime soon, but I’d say that “there aren’t many down here” isn’t true anymore.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 AM

386 posts, read 436,887 times
Just thinking about the full context here, my guess is that this place has been largely closed or at least tremendously limited in terms of the number and types of gatherings they can host. Theoretically at least, they've had an extremely challenging last 12 months financially. So they are fully willing to walk away from business for a reason personal to them.

Some will still book their events there, some will blacklist it. The market will play this out and it will be interesting to see.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:52 AM

386 posts, read 436,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

In closing, here is the Rorschach test I apply to these situations when they come up. If the small business refuses to serve a gay couple based on religious beliefs, ok, then I must assume they also refuse to serve a straight couple whose marriage isn't the first for either, since a second marriage is a sin towards the first. Or that the couple in question didn't live together prior to getting married or that they didn't have sex before the ceremony (Corinthians has a bunch of verses on this).

If the small business isn't checking on those other situations (not first marriage, or if the couple is living in sin to name a couple) then their refusal to serve a gay couple really has very little to do with "not engaging with situations their faith tells them are sinful" and really is about something quite different. God doesn't allow men to pick and choose when it's ok to engage with a sinner and when its not...Ezekiel lays this out very clearly.
well stated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary