Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 10:33 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
In fact when this concept goes all the way to the supreme court who rules in favor of the relegious exemption and you guys get outraged and talk about boycott you're completely out of step with the laws and respective the constitution.

If you cant respect valid religious expression you guys are attacking the constitutional foundation (as determined by scotus) by attempting to chill and punish such actions on behalf of the LGBT rights agenda.
You're confusing what's legal with peoples' reactions to it.

Sure it's legal for them to deny the same sex couple. It's legal for people to take their business elsewhere because of that. It's legal for people to say "HEY I'M GONNA USE THEM BECAUSE I LIKE HOW THEY THINK" and that undoubtedly is going to happen.

None of this is newsworthy. Frankly this couple should have just moved on. Why are you whining about a place that doesn't want to do business with you? Have you ever been a woman trying to transact something like buying a car by yourself? If we went running to the news every time that happened there'd be nothing else on the news.

I DO NOT agree with death threats and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 10:41 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,064,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I DO NOT agree with death threats and things like that.

Correct. Protest/boycott if you feel obligated to. Spend your money elsewhere if you must. But threatening people's lives (if that is happening, SMDH) is a no-go from this reader.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:27 AM

18 posts, read 54,906 times
Never beg people to take your money. Life is too short, just make another choice where i'm sure they will have a nicer time.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,251,200 times
Quote:
Durham is kicked off their annual black farmers market this month. Is that racial discrimination?
if non-Blacks aren't allowed to attend, yes.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Oh come on, hey_guy, don't make this a "what absolutism" argument. Stick to the facts at hand, which is that the venue's operators got caught discriminating against a gay couple for what they're legally entitled to request from them. Why they did that is stupid, especially considering that one of the men is an attorney ready to point out such injustice and that the venue could use the business as we're slowing coming out of the pandemic.

Now they're paying the price with bad publicity and at least one cancellation noted so far. Actions have consequences, and the venue's owners are learning this right now, likely more than what they expected.
Oh, they knew one was an attorney? And his legal standing in this matter is ...? Is he going to sue for emotional distress? Does he want to make a name for himself with a legal case that's already been determined at the SC level?

The couple was legally entitled to ask them for a "good or service", and the venue was legally allowed to decline.

Anybody that is considering using a wedding venue is welcome to know this about that place, and act how they want. That's kind of it, isn't it? Is it important to know that some folks now wouldn't use them, and some folks specifically would?

Old 04-13-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
In fact when this concept goes all the way to the supreme court who rules in favor of the relegious exemption and you guys get outraged and talk about boycott you're completely out of step with the laws and respective the constitution.

If you cant respect valid religious expression you guys are attacking the constitutional foundation (as determined by scotus) by attempting to chill and punish such actions on behalf of the LGBT rights agenda.
In some spaces, I agree with you, and in some I'd say consider the discussion.

There's a vast difference between "I would not patronize that business" and "We should all band together and drive them out of business"

A difference between a personal boycott (like, good luck finding Bo in a Wal-Mart) and an organized boycott intended to harm a business for legally disagreeing with "your" beliefs.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:15 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times
Quote:
Damn I thought private businesses could do what they wanted
I'm gay and in principle I hate that this is allowed, but in terms of common sense and life being quite short,

I say just go somewhere else to do business.

I am from the Triangle and I think it's one of the most homophobic regions still left in the country.

I think it stems from the small town mentality as NC is a leading state that's comprised of hundreds of small towns.

Gay people reside even in the smallest NC towns, but aren't big enough in number in small towns to have a voice or even visibility.

They get silenced by the majority of heteros talking about their lives, wants, desires, etc.

As adults these small town natives and even worse, some Raleigh natives, continue to resent anything inconsistent with what they grew up with as being acceptable.

It's a family oriented city and that is awesome, I want it to remain like that.

But life's too short to bang your head in frustration over these folks who will always hate you and not want you to even exist, likely because they aren't happy in their own lives and find gay people an easy low hanging fruit (pardon the pun) to feel superior to.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times
It's obvious that hey-guy doesn't like that the whole package of "the facts of life." He likes part of it, but get agitated if he has to even hear the other parts that don't apply to him.

In NC men are raised to behave according to a strict set of rules that reinforce heterosexuality and forbid any acts or suggestions of attraction towards other men.

Some men follow these rules to a tee and are very conscious of them at all times as they attempt to be accepted socially. And then along comes some guy who flaunts every rule rendering them irrelevant at best, and that is a cause for intense hatred.

Like the guy in the awful clothes telling Clay Aiken not to run for congress and go live in another state.

A gay native has every much as right to any and every aspect of NC that the straight majority has, that's why this country is a Republic. One person's individual rights cannot be taken away by the majority.

Gay people are gentle, kind souls for the most part and probably designed every woman's entire wardrobe that you think looks so pretty on them, lol.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 781,733 times
This is all talk. Unless we get actual laws, it doesn't matter. People continue getting denied services because of who they are. Currently, the private business cannot discriminate based on person's race, national origin and religion. Sexuality isn't part of it. Greensboro, Durham and Orange recently voted to have these anti-discrimination ordinance added. If you live outside of these cities/counties, and want to do something, call your representative. Ask them to sponsor a similar a bill/ordinance for your city/county or even better for all NC. Yes, money talks but laws talk louder. Without these state-wide ordinances, another bathroom laws are easy-peasy. It's already happening elsewhere. NC has already tasted the consequences of those backwards laws, so they probably won't dare, but it doesn't mean things like this won't sneak into legislature.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 PM

1,204 posts, read 781,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It's obvious that hey-guy doesn't like that the whole package of "the facts of life." He likes part of it, but get agitated if he has to even hear the other parts that don't apply to him.

In NC men are raised to behave according to a strict set of rules that reinforce heterosexuality and forbid any acts or suggestions of attraction towards other men.

Some men follow these rules to a tee and are very conscious of them at all times as they attempt to be accepted socially. And then along comes some guy who flaunts every rule rendering them irrelevant at best, and that is a cause for intense hatred.

Like the guy in the awful clothes telling Clay Aiken not to run for congress and go live in another state.

A gay native has every much as right to any and every aspect of NC that the straight majority has, that's why this country is a Republic. One person's individual rights cannot be taken away by the majority.

Gay people are gentle, kind souls for the most part and probably designed every woman's entire wardrobe that you think looks so pretty on them, lol.

Good lord, you are an old fart aren't you? You do not have to self-deprecate all the time to be liked. You are who you are. We all do not have to fit into a box... not all gays like cocktails or dresses. We are all people... different and same. I am pretty sure there are lots of murderous mothertrucker psychopaths among us too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary