Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 AM

91 posts, read 131,561 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering relocating my family to Raleigh-area from the Nashville area (Franklin) due to skyrocketing home prices. I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum on any differences I should be mindful of. We are looking for the same things most other families are looking for: good schools, fun things to do/culture and safe area. The one additional and very important thing I'd like to get a feel for is acceptance of other cultures. Our family is mixed race (Indian and Caucasian) so that's always something we like to do some homework. Not expecting any special treatment of course, but just want to make sure we're not going to be excluded.

Thanks and I appreciate any info-the more detailed the better!

Vik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:49 AM

376 posts, read 655,290 times
You'll be fine race wise- we have tons of diversity and esp a large Indian populace- no one will care there. House prices, well don't expect them to be significantly less than Nashville. Esp popular locales with good schools like Cary, North Raleigh, Holly Springs.

Plenty of museums and outdoors stuff and in non Covid lots of festivals. There's plenty of reasons as you probably know Raleigh ranks very high consistently in best cities overall, best for young families etc.

Also NAshville to Raleigh weather is very similar so I don't see that being an issue. Raleigh will be closer to the ocean (2 to 2.5 hours) if that's your thing but maybe slightly further to the mountains. BNA airport will probably have more direct flights than RDU if that's a concern to visit family etc.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the great info-totally makes sense! I appreciate the quick response as well.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:37 PM

65 posts, read 105,433 times
I moved from Franklin (still have family there) to Raleigh 20 years ago. Both places have changed drastically during that time. Other than sky rocketing home prices, are there other driving factors?

Old 04-14-2021, 01:49 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,580,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
Hello,

I am considering relocating my family to Raleigh-area from the Nashville area (Franklin) due to skyrocketing home prices. I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum on any differences I should be mindful of. We are looking for the same things most other families are looking for: good schools, fun things to do/culture and safe area. The one additional and very important thing I'd like to get a feel for is acceptance of other cultures. Our family is mixed race (Indian and Caucasian) so that's always something we like to do some homework. Not expecting any special treatment of course, but just want to make sure we're not going to be excluded.

Thanks and I appreciate any info-the more detailed the better!

Vik
I just looked it up[, and the median home price here in the triangle is almost identical to that of the Nashville area.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,189,580 times
I think the prices are slightly higher in Franklin, but it's just as competitive in Raleigh. The area is pretty diverse, so I don't think anyone will blink an eye about your race. As others have pointed out, there is a high concentration of Indian-American families in the area, especially Morrisville and Cary.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:26 PM

Hi Gillac,

Main factor is the skyrocketing prices also, the Williamson County (where we live) are considered great schools but after a few years I think they are overrated compared to other regions of the US. The latter piece isn't the main reason but something that makes us say "eh, maybe we should look somewhere else"

Old 04-14-2021, 02:28 PM

Thanks. Yes, I think the housing market is almost as competitive. What we have in Franklin is out of state bidders offering $100K over list price and waiving inspection which is hard to compete with. Not sure if that dynamic is present in Raleigh.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:14 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikm23 View Post
Hi Gillac,

Main factor is the skyrocketing prices also, the Williamson County (where we live) are considered great schools but after a few years I think they are overrated compared to other regions of the US. The latter piece isn't the main reason but something that makes us say "eh, maybe we should look somewhere else"
Between the schools and the home prices, you're just jumping from the frying pan into the fire. But good luck.

Yes the same dynamic is preset here with offers, no inspection and crazy high due diligence fees.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,189,580 times
Fair warning: The school system is very complicated, but we have excellent schools. I don't know how they compare to Franklin though. We have a county wide school system and it does mean that some students are bussed to achieve socioeconomic diversity. We also have a robust magnet school program, although it can be difficult to get in if you don't apply for an entry year (K, 6th, 9th). Wherever you decide to live, you should pick a place where you will be happy with the current school assignment. In high growth areas, there is a lot of redistricting that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary