Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 07:30 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,051 times

Advertisements

I realize I'm echoing suggestions already made, but will add a personal spin to it.

Shop the warehouse clubs, all three have multiple options to consider. I would avoid overspending (anything considerably north of $2k) and also underspending; there's a reason it's so cheap. My wife was all excited having found the perfect set for our brand new screened-in porch last year on Wayfair, and for much less than the $1,500 I had budgeted. The base was and remains fine, but the cushions were incredibly thin and uncomfortable. We've since had to replace them with newer cushions from At Home, but even those will likely only last us a season or two.

As for overspending, unless you have a destination backyard (e.g., landscaped pool, outdoor kitchen) you're best served by something that's comfortable, functional, and can justifiably be replaced every 4-5 years as tastes change and elements wear things down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 07:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
IKEA has excellent quality wood patio furniture that when spar varnished lasts decades, I only wish I had made a cover for it as the freezing temps combined with rain worked its way into the wood and eventually split it after about eight years.

I don't think they had wicker though, it was all wood.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:57 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
IKEA has excellent quality wood patio furniture that when spar varnished lasts decades, I only wish I had made a cover for it as the freezing temps combined with rain worked its way into the wood and eventually split it after about eight years.

I don't think they had wicker though, it was all wood.

Eight years from an IKEA piece is fantastic return on your spend! Another good option I hadn't considered.

I have an "IKEA Hack" desk with no issues in 4 years. I "IKEA Hacked" a craft table for the kid's craft room out of two bookcases and two countertops and they have beat it up a good amount (mostly from water color painting)

Old 04-19-2021, 08:17 AM

1,480 posts, read 1,230,197 times
World Market has pretty decent outdoor furniture. I still have a set I bought over 6 years ago. I've replaced the cushions one time and just freshen it up with different pillows.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:45 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
World Market has pretty decent outdoor furniture. I still have a set I bought over 6 years ago. I've replaced the cushions one time and just freshen it up with different pillows.
Wife went to World Market last week, in search of replacement cushions. They no longer sell them. (May still sell the furniture, I don't know, but not the cushions.)

Also thinking Home Goods, Waccamaw, etc... Maybe TJ Maxx or Ross for cheaper stuff?

Old 04-19-2021, 12:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
We have hand-me-down wrought iron table and chairs we have pretty much completely neglected for the past 30 years or so and the bottom finally broke on one of the chairs last year. I think it could be repaired with some welding. Some friends gave it to us when they were moving out of town and they had used them for years before that. If you want low to no maintenance metal is the way to go.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:20 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wife went to World Market last week, in search of replacement cushions. They no longer sell them. (May still sell the furniture, I don't know, but not the cushions.)

Also thinking Home Goods, Waccamaw, etc... Maybe TJ Maxx or Ross for cheaper stuff?
They might sell them online. They didn't sell mine in the store

Old 04-19-2021, 04:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Buy good quality wrought iron patio furniture, and it can last a lifetime. My mom gave us a set of Lyon-Shaw when we got married almost 50 years ago...table, four chairs and two spring chairs. I painted it once and it’s in excellent shape still. My daughter can’t wait to get it. Lyon-Shaw was eventually bought by Woodard which I believe is still sold at Patio Pro in Raleigh.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Buy good quality wrought iron patio furniture, and it can last a lifetime. My mom gave us a set of Lyon-Shaw when we got married almost 50 years ago...table, four chairs and two spring chairs. I painted it once and it’s in excellent shape still. My daughter can’t wait to get it. Lyon-Shaw was eventually bought by Woodard which I believe is still sold at Patio Pro in Raleigh.
Yep. I didn't even do anything to this stuff our friends gave us and it still lasted 25-30 years. Just the one chair is a little messed up and I think it could be repaired. If you buy wood, wicker, or plastic faux wicker it will not last like metal.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:19 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yep. I didn't even do anything to this stuff our friends gave us and it still lasted 25-30 years. Just the one chair is a little messed up and I think it could be repaired. If you buy wood, wicker, or plastic faux wicker it will not last like metal.
Exactly right Poppy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary