Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 01:44 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Man you really need to check yourself; your reply tone in this thread is harsh and you're starting to spout off things that are incorrect. It's like you have this perpetual axe to grind.
My reply tone is harsh ? Me doubting Raleigh will be Atlanta is incorrect? I have a contrarian view to y’all guys , that’s about it . No harshness . It’s a forum you give and take as long as no one disrespects the other .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 07:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
This is to wizard-Izzy……

Every factor surrounding Atlanta and Raleigh are completely different and they will never follow a similar trajectory nor have they in the past.

Population numbers mean nothing. The feeling and purpose of Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta have already been established and growth will not ever change them.

Atlanta has always served as the only big city in the Southeast where marginalized populations went to live freely and be whoever they wanted to be. Gay people like myself and minorities have always flocked to Atlanta where they weren’t as accepted in small town Southeast regions. Georgia still reeks of the sleepy Deep South in its government agencies and DOT. Every aspect of Georgia is almost the exact opposite of NC despite almost identical populations. Georgia only reacts to conditions that can’t be ignored any longer.

Raleigh is a humble, understated capital of a state of hundreds of small towns. It values excellence over trends and flashy pretentiousness. NC is a very advanced, contientious state that is overseen and managed better than almost all other states. It is a prolific road builder and planner for the future. It sets standards that are copied by the rest.

Atlanta felt the same when it had 2.5 million people and Raleigh feels not too much different than it did in the late 80s when the metro population was 700,000. The universities’ influence has been a constant for the area as well as RTP for at least 40 years.

Atlanta keeps fracturing into new cities without coordination and no new freeways have been built since the original interstates in the 1960s except for the GA400 connector in the 1990s.

I can’t think of any other two cities that will share less of the same fate as Atlanta and Raleigh.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:24 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I still doubt it . Very much so . Places don’t grow like that anymore . Not too mention in 1990 onwards Atlanta began to add 1 million people a decade . I don’t see how that happens. Assume they added counties to their metro which helped with that.
So like if the Triangle added a Harnett or an Alamance County to its sphere?

The Triangle is not Atlanta. Not even Charlotte is Atlanta. But growth is coming. Better to plan for it now than pretend it isn’t happening and then do pikachu shock face in 20 years.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:56 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
This is to wizard-Izzy……

Every factor surrounding Atlanta and Raleigh are completely different and they will never follow a similar trajectory nor have they in the past.

Population numbers mean nothing. The feeling and purpose of Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta have already been established and growth will not ever change them.

Atlanta has always served as the only big city in the Southeast where marginalized populations went to live freely and be whoever they wanted to be. Gay people like myself and minorities have always flocked to Atlanta where they weren’t as accepted in small town Southeast regions. Georgia still reeks of the sleepy Deep South in its government agencies and DOT. Every aspect of Georgia is almost the exact opposite of NC despite almost identical populations. Georgia only reacts to conditions that can’t be ignored any longer.

Raleigh is a humble, understated capital of a state of hundreds of small towns. It values excellence over trends and flashy pretentiousness. NC is a very advanced, contientious state that is overseen and managed better than almost all other states. It is a prolific road builder and planner for the future. It sets standards that are copied by the rest.

Atlanta felt the same when it had 2.5 million people and Raleigh feels not too much different than it did in the late 80s when the metro population was 700,000. The universities’ influence has been a constant for the area as well as RTP for at least 40 years.

Atlanta keeps fracturing into new cities without coordination and no new freeways have been built since the original interstates in the 1960s except for the GA400 connector in the 1990s.

I can’t think of any other two cities that will share less of the same fate as Atlanta and Raleigh.
I agree for the most part with your perceptions of Atlanta and Raleigh, but I’m curious to know how you perceive Charlotte in relation to the former cities?

Old 01-09-2022, 11:03 AM

563 posts, read 956,178 times
Quote:
My reply tone is harsh ?
It actually is and that has been the case with most of the comments that I have seen you make.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:38 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
It actually is and that has been the case with most of the comments that I have seen you make.
Seconded

Old 01-09-2022, 04:55 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
Right on the cape fear river of all god damn places . Not even lillington, in between buies creek and lillington

Please, think about what you are posting.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
So dissent is harsh ? I’m supposed to be all aboard with this ? As far as I can tell none of the moderators have suggested anything . I’m not positive on the rampant sprawl no . I don’t understand how that’s a harsh opinion. Yes it is a negative and yes it takes away from the natural environment and yes it ruins the character oftentimes of many of these unique places , at least in the fashion it tends to be done . Why is that harsh to say ? Again, I’ve been pretty thoughtful in my responses especially with them drawing everyone’s ire . I fail to see the harshness .

Old 01-09-2022, 07:45 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Dissent is fine. Your posts just come across as very aggressive.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:53 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I agree for the most part with your perceptions of Atlanta and Raleigh, but I’m curious to know how you perceive Charlotte in relation to the former cities?
In my opinion, Charlotte looks like a big metropolis, and because it looks like a big city, visitors from around the world will retain that visual and will move there sometimes after reading about NC's highly regarded reputation.

Because it is surrounded by several smaller growing metros, I don't think it will meteorologically rise to be the big, lone metropolis that everyone flocks to reinvent themselves or live out their dream unattainable elsewhere in the Southeast.

And that is why I maintain that the feel of it being a medium size city will stick. That had been decades in the making and no handful of ultra wealthy CEOs can change through tall buildings. I think the energy comes from the populace and social fabric that has formed in the larger region.

I think Charlotte isn't the perfect representation of NC due to the SC proximity and influence. The rural Western piedmont and foothills is substantially different from rural Eastern piedmont and coastal plain region.
In other words, the country folks are influenced from different things, scenery, industry, etc.

One isn't better than another, but I encourage Charlotte folks to get to know the whole state's rural areas and not assume every county is like the ones immediately outside Charlotte.

Charlotte will get big, really big because it looks like a city and 1/2 the world's population only wants to live in a big city.

But the state in its entirety is what is highly regarded around the world, and being part of it rather than the only NC worth considering is the best way forward in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary