Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 03:11 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Since most of the tax revenue comes from the suburbs and not this "urban center", the tax dollars from the suburbs are used to maintain the urban center, it sounds like you are proposing somehow taxing every vehicle from outside this area that drives into the city of Raleigh. I'm not sure it is feasible given how many streets and roads enter/exit Raleigh.
Yes. The "London Model" (and I think Sydney does it too off the top of my head) is if you live in say Cary and want to drive into Raleigh for the day/night out, you pay a tax to drive your car in. They do it to control the amount of congestion in the urban core for pollution/walkability reasons.

If a city the size of London (roughly 6 times bigger area wise than Raleigh) can figure it out....I'd say Raleigh would be easy by comp.

Raleigh.....really isn't that big. Its twice the area of Boston and Boston has walking tours that take you around the city.

ETA - To be clear. I am not arguing Raleigh will be a quick adopter of this. But this is the model cities have taken to limit cars in city cores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 04:00 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Yes. The "London Model" (and I think Sydney does it too off the top of my head) is if you live in say Cary and want to drive into Raleigh for the day/night out, you pay a tax to drive your car in. They do it to control the amount of congestion in the urban core for pollution/walkability reasons.

If a city the size of London (roughly 6 times bigger area wise than Raleigh) can figure it out....I'd say Raleigh would be easy by comp.

Raleigh.....really isn't that big. Its twice the area of Boston and Boston has walking tours that take you around the city.

ETA - To be clear. I am not arguing Raleigh will be a quick adopter of this. But this is the model cities have taken to limit cars in city cores.
The city core of Raleigh is very small compared to the overall size of the city. And, with so much of the suburbs part of Raleigh proper, it would likely have a limited effect on the number of cars in that core. It might, though, result in fewer people from outside of Raleigh visiting the downtown area, which I'm not sure would be a good thing for Raleigh or said area.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:55 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

London has great mass transit. If you can't drive your car to Raleigh, not sure how you're gonna bother going.

Raleigh isn't remarkable enough to make people pay a tax anyway. It ain't London, or Boston.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:59 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
London has great mass transit. If you can't drive your car to Raleigh, not sure how you're gonna bother going.

Raleigh isn't remarkable enough to make people pay a tax anyway. It ain't London, or Boston.
Correct.

Plus, to take it a step even further; not nearly as many people commute to downtown Raleigh for work from the suburban areas (be they within Raleigh city limits or separate suburban towns/unincorporated areas) compared to most other similarly-sized metros; let alone those significantly larger. This was the case even before the pandemic due to the multi-nodal dynamic of the region.

Raleigh's core will densify as all cities do as they grow. Yes; a decrease in surface parking lots and an increase in walkability and transit options can, should, and will become a part of that no matter how many NIMBY Karens/Kens complain to city council. But I think it is fairly silly to assume this area will see anything close to Boston, NYC, London, DC level commuting patterns (for work or pleasure) or core density in the lifetime of any adult currently living here.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:00 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

No no, I agree with all points.

I was simply jumping on to the point about “cities being more anything but car focused” as we move forward and sharing that other cities have already started systems which force you to pay for that personal convenience and that I see US cities; certainly not ours to start (I mean chit people on this board bish about dollar something in tolls on 540….I paid more than that in college to go home to my parents and I was making 7.25/hr making pizzas…Charmin soft).

The next century won’t be car focused like the 20th was (ie “LA blocks are bigger than NYC blocks because LA was built for the car”)

Old 10-19-2022, 08:20 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Having spent the equivalent of 18 months in London, I'll say that the definition of "London" is ambiguous. You probably don't mean the formal City, which is rather small. You probably don't mean everything inside the M25, which roughly corresponds to the Low Emission Zone. You might mean a 5-mile radius, which is roughly the Ultra Low Emission Zone (which is about to expand). Or you might mean a 2-mile radius, which is roughly the Congestion Zone where you have to pay a £15 daily fee to drive during business hours and certain other times.

Mass transit on the north side of the Thames is excellent. Most tourists seldom venture much beyond the south bank of the Thames, however. Mass transit there isn't so great.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:44 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Iconic CHAR-GRILL on Hillsborough St getting demolished.

First Char-Grill In Downtown Raleigh To Be Torn Down, Rebuilt Alongside Mixed Use 20-Story Building
https://www.wral.com/first-char-gril...ding/20354708/

Booooooo

Old 01-26-2023, 02:18 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Iconic CHAR-GRILL on Hillsborough St getting demolished.

First Char-Grill In Downtown Raleigh To Be Torn Down, Rebuilt Alongside Mixed Use 20-Story Building
https://www.wral.com/first-char-gril...ding/20354708/

Booooooo
We all knew this was coming and the owners of the Char Grill made this decision and are making the money off of the sale.

Old 01-26-2023, 02:40 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
We all knew this was coming and the owners of the Char Grill made this decision and are making the money off of the sale.
Indeed we knew...that article is from last June.

Old 01-26-2023, 03:17 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
The writing was on the wall before the news broke. Any of the old places like Char-Grill that are still around in that part of town are on borrowed time and have been for awhile.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll incorporate the new place into the plans and if it'll be successful. I think a big part of the appeal of Char-Grill was the ambiance of that old place not to mention how easy you could get in and out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary