Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:53 AM

1,204 posts, read 790,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My bad. Your answer is great. I just didn't ask the right question for clarification.
As it is, if my server doesn't meet my very reasonable expectations and I have a quibble, (or server gets wrongly blamed for something happening in the kitchen, which is not uncommon reason for some folks for stiffing them on the tip), how would such a quibble be addressed when I pay a mandatory tip?
For decent people, tips are immediate feedback to the employee that something is not up to snuff.
I actually LIKE the idea of people working on commission-based compensation, but not for cheapskates to use that as leverage to promote poverty so they can feel superior to the lowest paid amongst us..

And, to your point...
Establishments that are aggressive about taking care of the employee SHOULD be up front about it.
I have thought for years that an establishment that supports living wages should group and develop a certification including the ability to place a large acknowledgement on the door or a window stating something like:
"We support wages that will support our staff. This establishment pays all employees a minimum of $XX/hour. We price our goods and services to support the staff that supports YOU."

"Living Wage Certified Business" symbol and label would do nicely for many.

If people will pay up for quality and service, this would set certified employers apart.

I'll be honest, I do not have an answer for that. My only thought is that the restaurant that decides to go this way must be absolutely sure that their service is going to be top-notch. They'll probably spend time on training their servers a lot. Maybe because of a flat fee, 1 table-1 server idea will go away. Customer satisfaction is important, so you get multiple servers checking on you. So I don't know. They'll probably make mistakes, people are going to leave bad reviews all over Yelp. Or, maybe they'll come out of it gloriously.

As for the living wage argument, what you are saying is totally the way to go. Maybe this is the first step, and after a bit they'll hopefully get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 09:59 AM

43,556 posts, read 77,662,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I'll be honest, I do not have an answer for that. My only thought is that the restaurant that decides to go this way must be absolutely sure that their service is going to be top-notch. They'll probably spend time on training their servers a lot. Maybe because of a flat fee, 1 table-1 server idea will go away. Customer satisfaction is important, so you get multiple servers checking on you. So I don't know. They'll probably make mistakes, people are going to leave bad reviews all over Yelp. Or, maybe they'll come out of it gloriously.

As for the living wage argument, what you are saying is totally the way to go. Maybe this is the first step, and after a bit they'll hopefully get there.

Bad reviews can kill a business, for sure. I think I never leave one. I have done a couple on EBay, but that was in response to basic fraud.

And, servers who make $$$ during surge periods, thereby offsetting slack time, may well come up short if their compensation is fixed at $XX/hr. and patrons use a "liveable wage" as a reason never to tip.

Eh. Hospitality is a tough labor nut to crack, also for sure.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:54 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,613,860 times
Quote:
At what point would a diner reasonably quibble about a "20% service charge," which obviously is a mandatory tip?
How would you handle the quibble and placate the customer?

I’ve never come across a 20% mandatory service charge anywhere, over here in U.K. the most you’ll generally see on a restaurant bill is a “discretionary” service charge of 12.5%.
Presumably by discretionary they mean that it is up to the diner to pay the service charge or not, personally I’m happy to go for the 12.5%, it saves me working out a tip in my head, and 12.5% is peanuts compared to the average of 18% that I’m normally happy to tip in the U.S.
On this particular subject, my wife and I were waiting for a flight in a bar in Tampa International with a girlfriend of hers, when the girlfriend gave me a $50 bill, and said, “I’m going to the ladies room, get a round Jean, I’ll have sparkling water please.”
I ordered a shot of bourbon, a glass of white wine, and the water, and gave him the $50 when he brought the drinks over, and said, “Thank you.”
After a while I realised I’d had no change, so I raised my hand to the waiter, and asked about the change.
He said, “When I brought the drinks, you said ‘Thank you’, over here that usually means keep the change.”
I said, “Really? Well I’m not from over here, where I come from WE decide if we’re going to tip and how much, and I would have given you at least 15%, even though it wasn’t my $50.”
He gave our friend back her change, and she tipped him well, but we were treated to some good old American stink eye from him.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,627,393 times
why not include 10%-15% in the bill,if customer wants to tip more,go ahead.
To be honest,most restaurants these days do not really have a real cook in the kitchen,chicken cordon bleu,sole filet stuffed with crab meat they all come frozen from the food vendors.
all they do is heat it up and bring it to you

Old 07-18-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
why not include 10%-15% in the bill,if customer wants to tip more,go ahead.
To be honest,most restaurants these days do not really have a real cook in the kitchen,chicken cordon bleu,sole filet stuffed with crab meat they all come frozen from the food vendors.
all they do is heat it up and bring it to you

10-15%?
Just numbers. Customer can tip over 20%, too. I often do already.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:14 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,627,393 times
I know some are generous tipper,but
once a local French restaurant offered a Sunday deal,two for dinner at $100-soup or salad,appetizer,entree and desert,coffee or tea is extra.
Thats a lot of work for the waiter and many did not tip or tip little,so now they add 10% to the bill.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I know some are generous tipper,but
once a local French restaurant offered a Sunday deal,two for dinner at $100-soup or salad,appetizer,entree and desert,coffee or tea is extra.
Thats a lot of work for the waiter and many did not tip or tip little,so now they add 10% to the bill.

Yeah. Some people are just pathetic.

Ouch.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,371,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
“When I brought the drinks, you said ‘Thank you’, over here that usually means keep the change.”

I said, “Really? Well I’m not from over here, where I come from WE decide if we’re going to tip and how much, and I would have given you at least 15%, even though it wasn’t my $50.”
He gave our friend back her change, and she tipped him well, but we were treated to some good old American stink eye from him.
Man that server is full of it.

I tended bar and served drinks for many years when I was younger. I have never heard this interpretation of "thank you" before.

FWIW, I recently ate at Toro. The server made it very clear about the new policy as we were seated and it is clearly marked on the menu which they point out as well. I don't have a problem with it one bit as I almost always tip 20% and I have no worries about getting anything but great service there.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Man that server is full of it.

I tended bar and served drinks for many years when I was younger. I have never heard this interpretation of "thank you" before.

FWIW, I recently ate at Toro. The server made it very clear about the new policy as we were seated and it is clearly marked on the menu which they point out as well. I don't have a problem with it one bit as I almost always tip 20% and I have no worries about getting anything but great service there.

We need a TriangleExplorer review of the Chow at Toro!
Heck, we DEMAND one.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:12 PM

6,666 posts, read 5,644,527 times
Quote:
We need a TriangleExplorer review of the Chow at Toro!
Heck, we DEMAND one.
Speaking of pizza, Pizzeria Toro is one of the best pizza places in Durham if not the Triangle (ducks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary