Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 06:22 AM

9,149 posts, read 14,782,569 times

Advertisements

Someone asked me about Bitcoin a couple of years ago, so I signed up for a BitPay account. I can take it for payment and they convert it based on the pricing that day, to cash and deposit it I'm my account. So, no risk to me. I'm personally not interested in holding any crypto.

As far servers, the ones I've talked to do have slightly mixed feelings. As Mike said, the best, working in a place that can turn the tables $15 an your would earn less money most likely (and some quite a bit less of people didn't also tip some. But for many, it would be an upgrade or at least give them stability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 06:38 AM

43,348 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Someone asked me about Bitcoin a couple of years ago, so I signed up for a BitPay account. I can take it for payment and they convert it based on the pricing that day, to cash and deposit it I'm my account. So, no risk to me. I'm personally not interested in holding any crypto.

As far servers, the ones I've talked to do have slightly mixed feelings. As Mike said, the best, working in a place that can turn the tables $15 an your would earn less money most likely (and some quite a bit less of people didn't also tip some. But for many, it would be an upgrade or at least give them stability.
I now see excess staff standing around waiting for customer traffic in so many places. Kids making no wage and no tips, so their time is cheap for the restaurants.
@$20+/hour, because $15 wage doesn't come close to the actual labor burden to employers, and a lot of shaky restaurants we rely on would just not make it.
And, many would cut back so hard on scheduling and service, they would not handle large groups well. We already see capital investment allowing reduced staff in fast food. Maybe we would see buffets gaining traction again. Sweet Tomatoes or Golden Corral, anyone?

None of this is meant to support taking advantage of employees, but the answers always seem SO simple to people who have never run a restaurant or had to make payroll in a small business.
I knocked on a LOT of small business doors for a couple of years, peddling accounting services, and the struggles of small businesses are very real.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:49 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I now see excess staff standing around waiting for customer traffic in so many places. Kids making no wage and no tips, so their time is cheap for the restaurants.
@$20+/hour, because $15 wage doesn't come close to the actual labor burden to employers, and a lot of shaky restaurants we rely on would just not make it.
And, many would cut back so hard on scheduling and service, they would not handle large groups well. We already see capital investment allowing reduced staff in fast food. Maybe we would see buffets gaining traction again. Sweet Tomatoes or Golden Corral, anyone?

None of this is meant to support taking advantage of employees, but the answers always seem SO simple to people who have never run a restaurant or had to make payroll in a small business.
I knocked on a LOT of small business doors for a couple of years, peddling accounting services, and the struggles of small businesses are very real.
Good post Mike. All restaurants are not created equal either (nor should they be, there's usually something for everyone). What works for one business may not work for another.

This business owner, Pizzeria Toro, made some good points in his WRAL interview though. He kind of danced around it, but as a former server I knew what he was getting at. Some people consider it their right and/or their mission to go out for a meal and make their server's life as difficult as possible. There is no pleasing them. Then there are others who engage you in conversation, act like they're the best people you will ever meet, and then stiff you. Both types can be spotted a mile away, they just don't realize it. Taking tipping out of the equation neutralizes these types.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:08 AM

43,348 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good post Mike. All restaurants are not created equal either (nor should they be, there's usually something for everyone). What works for one business may not work for another.

This business owner, Pizzeria Toro, made some good points in his WRAL interview though. He kind of danced around it, but as a former server I knew what he was getting at. Some people consider it their right and/or their mission to go out for a meal and make their server's life as difficult as possible. There is no pleasing them. Then there are others who engage you in conversation, act like they're the best people you will ever meet, and then stiff you. Both types can be spotted a mile away, they just don't realize it. Taking tipping out of the equation neutralizes these types.

Yeah, this came up here years ago and some Insightful Economic Icon said, "Why should I pay the help?" As if....

No tipping:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=foo...ages&ia=images

I think I tip well. Comes from seeing Evel Knievel when it came out. The scene in which the food truck told sassy Evel, "Boy, A man once spit in my eggs and told me after I et 'em."
https://youtu.be/04T1luY79WQ?t=961

I like people handling my food to be well compensated.

And, my girlfriend/wife was a "waitress" right out of high school. I bused for free after closing so she could get off work. Then she managed a sub shop for a few years. Glory Days! So, I am sympatico...

I also watched the CPA I sold for either usher restaurants into bankruptcy, or skirt bankruptcy. These owners were making nothing, even less than the help.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-19-2021 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-19-2021, 10:38 AM

805 posts, read 525,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I now see excess staff standing around waiting for customer traffic in so many places. l.
I keep seeing posts on social media about restaurants shortening hours because no one wants to work due to “government handouts” (referring to Covid era unemployment checks). There’s a sign some restaurant owners have hung on this doors thanking patrons for patience with the staff that “did choose to come to work today”.

What’s the real story?

Old 06-19-2021, 12:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 6,072,325 times
I don't care what an employer does with his money once I pay him for services.

I really dislike a breakdown of services for a hamburger or hotdog. It it's 10 bucks, charge me 10 bucks don't list all your expenses to validate your cost. It makes me wonder why they feel the need to explain why or how they are fleecing me.

Same goes for my power bill, cable bill, tire purchases, etc. Jeez, sometimes the bill is two pages long for additional fees they tack on to pay different agencies, suppliers, recyclers, government programs, etc.
I want to know my power bill is 125 dollars, I don't give a crap about what their coal costs are, what their environmental impact fees are. I JUST WANT TO SEE THE BILL.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:16 PM

599 posts, read 333,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I much prefer the practice in Japan and Singapore - a flat 10% service charge and people in those roles are paid properly, and in Japan at least, have willing and knowledgeable service capabilities and mentalities.
And in Japan you generally don't have just one waiter assigned to your table. It's just however many waiters working all the tables - you say sumimasen and someone will come over and help you. You don't have to wait until you catch the eye of "your" waiter. I like that system. I think of Japan every time the tipping topic comes up here and get a little misty eyed.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:13 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,875,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
And in Japan you generally don't have just one waiter assigned to your table. It's just however many waiters working all the tables - you say sumimasen and someone will come over and help you. You don't have to wait until you catch the eye of "your" waiter. I like that system. I think of Japan every time the tipping topic comes up here and get a little misty eyed.
In my years of experience I don't remember having different servers at proper restaurants. Agree that they are all hyper-service oriented and will come over regardless if their table or not if you look like you want help with something.

Last edited by Repatriot; 06-19-2021 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2021, 04:27 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,875,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I keep seeing posts on social media about restaurants shortening hours because no one wants to work due to “government handouts” (referring to Covid era unemployment checks). There’s a sign some restaurant owners have hung on this doors thanking patrons for patience with the staff that “did choose to come to work today”.

What’s the real story?
What we've experienced a few times has been, in a busy place, and there being tables free, being told the wait is due to not having enough staff to service the tables. Will try to remember where, may have been Yard House.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:40 PM

599 posts, read 333,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
In my years of experience I don't remember having different servers at proper restaurants. Agree that they are all hyper-service oriented and will come over regardless if their table or not if you look like you want help with something.
Admittedly I only have a couple weeks of experience with restaurant service in Japan. Anyway, it always feels refreshing when visiting countries where tipping restaurant servers isn't part of the culture, and being a waiter is just another job like anything else. I hope it can catch on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary