Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 AM

4,183 posts, read 2,908,762 times

Advertisements

I’m not wading through all of this thread. I just read the article. Is the waitstaff’s hourly pay going up enough to make up for losing tips? Conversely are sou chef hourly pay going down since they will now be sharing tips? Something doesn’t quite add up in my head. I feel like the restaurant is playing a shell game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 05:02 AM

43,512 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’m not wading through all of this thread. I just read the article. Is the waitstaff’s hourly pay going up enough to make up for losing tips? Conversely are sou chef hourly pay going down since they will now be sharing tips? Something doesn’t quite add up in my head. I feel like the restaurant is playing a shell game.

The proof of the pudding will be in successful staff retention.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I keep seeing posts on social media about restaurants shortening hours because no one wants to work due to “government handouts” (referring to Covid era unemployment checks). There’s a sign some restaurant owners have hung on this doors thanking patrons for patience with the staff that “did choose to come to work today”.

What’s the real story?

As usual, in adult life, everyone has their own "real story," so there is no "one real story." There is no one simple answer.

The restaurant doesn't have the traffic to support the staff and the staff doesn't have the immediate funds and/or income to support going to work, child-care (if they can find it and it is safe from COVID), someone to be home for remote learning help for kids, available car and/or fuel $$$ to commute, etc.

So, what comes first, the hot wings or the omelettes?

Old 06-20-2021, 07:03 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,773,254 times
My daughters worked at about every type/class restaurant possible when in school.

The more the restaurant focused on younger diners, the more sketchy the tipping.

But, they were living at home. Free. I was providing for both of them. Their living wage was $0.00 since they could live just fine without working.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:24 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times
I went to a restaurant on Friday night and it took 20 minutes before I got acknowledged by a waiter because they were so short staffed. There were 2 poor waiters running around for 14 tables.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:55 AM

374 posts, read 242,623 times
By charging a fee and not making it voluntary, the owner of the restaurant can subsidize his kitchen labor. Legally tips must go to people who actually provide service and not dishwashers, cooks, etc. A service fee otoh, can be divvied up however the owner sees fit.

Expect service quality to decline when servers aren't directly incentivized by tips. It's also not fair because many people who work back of the house jobs wouldn't be able to do the server's job (language barrier, tendency to fly off the handle, etc).

Old 06-20-2021, 09:02 AM

66 posts, read 59,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Now in Durham, but I'm pretty sure it will spread.
https://abc11.com/amp/restaurants-li...rham/10802555/

Since I intend to avoid drama today, I won't comment or opine.
just stop eating out, let them all bankrupt and make it like it was during pandemic. It's a new time now. I am tired of all the new roles Idk

Old 06-20-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
just stop eating out, let them all bankrupt and make it like it was during pandemic. It's a new time now. I am tired of all the new roles Idk

Totally agree with your "IDK." You don't.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:24 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,218,287 times
I'm all for paying food service workers a living wage and eliminating tipping is a necessary part of that. However, I'm annoyed by doing it as a surcharge. It's basically false advertising. Why not just raise your prices 20% and disclose the actual cost? What's funny though is one of the biggest obstacles is the restaurant workers themselves, who are largely against eliminating tipping because they believe they make more money that way, despite all evidence to the contrary. I think it's a Joe the Plumber situation, where workers aren't actually benefiting from the status quo, but they have aspirations of making it to the elite ranks of their profession.

To get there, it's going to require regulation to create an even playing field. I think this is the same situation we saw with smoking in restaurants and bars. Most wanted to ban it, but they were afraid of losing business to those who choose not to. So by banning indoor smoking by law, it created an even playing field. So if we just eliminated tipped wages and made tips optional, everyone could raise their prices and pay their workers prevailing wages.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:35 AM

805 posts, read 527,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
As usual, in adult life, everyone has their own "real story," so there is no "one real story." There is no one simple answer.

The restaurant doesn't have the traffic to support the staff and the staff doesn't have the immediate funds and/or income to support going to work, child-care (if they can find it and it is safe from COVID), someone to be home for remote learning help for kids, available car and/or fuel $$$ to commute, etc.

So, what comes first, the hot wings or the omelettes?
I was honestly surprised to hear that there are lots of places with too much staff, given the rhetoric I’ve been hearing about the industry. If they do need workers, they may have to provide guaranteed pay (vs tips) to attract workers with childcare needs. Too many times, service workers are sent home from shifts when it isn’t busy enough. Often after paying for an Uber to take them to work, possibly securing childcare, etc.

Food service workers are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary