Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 02:08 PM

9,156 posts, read 14,818,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
People with discipline control their spending regardless of the media of exchange.
People without discipline cannot handle cash or credit.

I don't leave home without my phone, wallet with credit cards, or cash in my pocket.
Reminds me of back about a thousand years ago (well, 25 or maybe ) when my wife and I were living together/first married, we had a budget and that involved having X amount to eat out with per month. We would put that money in cash in an envelope and take out whatever amount each weekend. When we were out of money, we stayed home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Anything over $20 and/or online goes on the credit card to be paid off each month for those wonderful points and cash rewards.

$20 and under (in-person) goes on the debit card (or cash when I have it).
We stopped using our debit card for anything other than withdrawals at our bank’s ATM or others we carefully checked about 5-6 years ago after one too many times of it getting compromised. Much easier with AMEX as they have better protection. The points accumulation is a nice side benefit.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 06-20-2021 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 02:27 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Anything over $20 and/or online goes on the credit card to be paid off each month for those wonderful points and cash rewards.

$20 and under (in-person) goes on the debit card (or cash when I have it).

Debit card is for getting cash at Bank ATMs.
Never anything else.

And, no one is ever provided access to our bank accounts but my wife, and maybe me with her permission.
No bills are paid by auto-draft, never-ever. Auto-payments are only on CC, and if they won't do that, a check will work.

Yeah, I want my CC mileage/rewards, too.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:54 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,349,088 times
Quote:
Yup.
Good servers in busy establishments see $15/hour as a threat to their livelihoods.
People are willing to pay for quality food and service, the market will work it out.

Just like you can buy a Chevy or a Mercedes, and the price is not the same, the market will figure out how to compensate service industry workers for their level of skill and dedication.

I also tip over 20% usually. If workers at TORO or other places stop making money, they'll go somewhere else. Either Toro will respond, or someone else will fill the shoes. And as consumers, we'll pay for it one way or the other. Either tips, 'living wage fee', or higher prices to support higher wages.

BTW: Kudos to Toro, for making it clear, and not trying to hide it in the cost of the food. Very transparent IMO.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
People are willing to pay for quality food and service, the market will work it out.

Just like you can buy a Chevy or a Mercedes, and the price is not the same, the market will figure out how to compensate service industry workers for their level of skill and dedication.

I also tip over 20% usually. If workers at TORO or other places stop making money, they'll go somewhere else. Either Toro will respond, or someone else will fill the shoes. And as consumers, we'll pay for it one way or the other. Either tips, 'living wage fee', or higher prices to support higher wages.

BTW: Kudos to Toro, for making it clear, and not trying to hide it in the cost of the food. Very transparent IMO.

Welllll... "SOME people are willing to pay for quality food and service...." might be more accurate.

But, yes. The funds to pay the help and the owner come from the cash register, where the are derived from one source: "Customers."
I still grin when I think of one anti-tipper who said, "Why should I pay their staff?"

Old 06-23-2021, 07:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 784,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Agreed. People are getting so worked up about it, as if in other parts of their lives they do not run into tiered services or products. This will not happen with every single restaurant. Most likely will happen with popular urban places. They know their demographics and that demographic is mostly okay with it. I am pretty sure they'll have info on each table, you won't miss it. Also, look at your receipt? It'll have a service charge line showing the additional 20%. Also, if I were running that restaurant I would completely get rid of the the tip section to avoid controversy. When you can't add a tip, you'll obviously won't leave it by mistake and then blame the restaurant for being dishonest.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Agreed. People are getting so worked up about it, as if in other parts of their lives they do not run into tiered services or products. This will not happen with every single restaurant. Most likely will happen with popular urban places. They know their demographics and that demographic is mostly okay with it. I am pretty sure they'll have info on each table, you won't miss it. Also, look at your receipt? It'll have a service charge line showing the additional 20%. Also, if I were running that restaurant I would completely get rid of the the tip section to avoid controversy. When you can't add a tip, you'll obviously won't leave it by mistake and then blame the restaurant for being dishonest.
At what point would a diner reasonably quibble about a "20% service charge," which obviously is a mandatory tip?
How would you handle the quibble and placate the customer?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:55 AM

1,204 posts, read 784,924 times
Quote:
At what point would a diner reasonably quibble about a "20% service charge," which obviously is a mandatory tip?
How would you handle the quibble and placate the customer?
I would train my hostesses and the waiters to mention that right from the get go. I will also put that info right when you enter the restaurant, or even in a cool way at one of the windows (I am imagining Pizzeria Toro right now). There are lots of opportunities to do that even before people get to their table. Marketing companies are great at that. They can figure something out.

Be upfront about it. Have it written. Those who are not okay with it, they can leave. Good thing Durham doesn't lack good places to grab a bite.

Also, Pizzeria Toro knows their clientele and they are sure this will fly. As I said not everyone will be willing to go this route.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I would train my hostesses and the waiters to mention that right from the get go. I will also put that info right when you enter the restaurant, or even in a cool way at one of the windows (I am imagining Pizzeria Toro right now). There are lots of opportunities to do that even before people get to their table. Marketing companies are great at that. They can figure something out.

Be upfront about it. Have it written. Those who are not okay with it, they can leave. Good thing Durham doesn't lack good places to grab a bite.

Also, Pizzeria Toro knows their clientele and they are sure this will fly. As I said not everyone will be willing to go this route.

My bad. Your answer is great. I just didn't ask the right question for clarification.
As it is, if my server doesn't meet my very reasonable expectations and I have a quibble, (or server gets wrongly blamed for something happening in the kitchen, which is not uncommon reason for some folks for stiffing them on the tip), how would such a quibble be addressed when I pay a mandatory tip?
For decent people, tips are immediate feedback to the employee that something is not up to snuff.
I actually LIKE the idea of people working on commission-based compensation, but not for cheapskates to use that as leverage to promote poverty so they can feel superior to the lowest paid amongst us..

And, to your point...
Establishments that are aggressive about taking care of the employee SHOULD be up front about it.
I have thought for years that an establishment that supports living wages should group and develop a certification including the ability to place a large acknowledgement on the door or a window stating something like:
"We support wages that will support our staff. This establishment pays all employees a minimum of $XX/hour. We price our goods and services to support the staff that supports YOU."

"Living Wage Certified Business" symbol and label would do nicely for many.

If people will pay up for quality and service, this would set certified employers apart.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-23-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 09:34 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times
Quote:
And, to your point...
Establishments that are aggressive about taking care of the employee SHOULD be up front about it.
I have thought for years that an establishment that supports living wages should group and develop a certification including the ability to place a large acknowledgement on the door or a window stating something like: "We support wages that will support our staff. This establishment pays all employees a minimum of $XX/hour. We price our goods and services to support the staff that supports YOU."

"Living Wage Certified Business" symbol and label would do nicely for many.

If people will pay up for quality and service, this would set certified employers apart.
There is such a group in Durham: https://www.durhamlivingwageproject.org/

Old 06-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There is such a group in Durham: https://www.durhamlivingwageproject.org/

https://www.durhamlivingwageproject.org/certified

Not many eateries on the list. A few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary