Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:48 PM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times

Advertisements

Now in Durham, but I'm pretty sure it will spread.
https://abc11.com/amp/restaurants-li...rham/10802555/

Since I intend to avoid drama today, I won't comment or opine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 01:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Now in Durham, but I'm pretty sure it will spread.
https://abc11.com/amp/restaurants-li...rham/10802555/

Since I intend to avoid drama today, I won't comment or opine.

It's fine. It should be a standard practice. Just add the service charge and let customers' decide if your food + service is worth it. Just like in Europe, if someone goes above and beyond, you can tip additionally if you want. But, you do not have to.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:08 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,965,883 times
I read the article and I don't have a problem with it. It seems like the 20% will be distributed to the staff and not the owners so in essence it's just ensuring that the waitstaff gets a decent tip. Too many people treat waitstaff terribly and then leave next to nothing for them. I've been known to overtip because I would much rather see people working than collecting checks from the government (taxpayers like me.)

One thing I'll add is that the restaurant should make it clear to the diners that the charge will appear on their bill and explain what it's for. As long as that happens, I'll probably add a tip too because I like to see people employed.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:30 PM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

One thing I'll add is that the restaurant should make it clear to the diners that the charge will appear on their bill and explain what it's for. As long as that happens, I'll probably add a tip too because I like to see people employed.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:47 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,938,241 times
While I don't have a problem paying this since I already pay at least a 20% tip......what bothers me about this is that "some" owners may not disclose the amount that they are really making and will keep some of it. I've heard far too many stories (and they just may be stories) where managers/owners have not been honest when it comes to a shared tip pool.

Plus I would rather give a tip directly to the person providing me great service rather than that person having to share their tip with another employee that may not work as hard especially since many wait staff only make $2.13/hour plus tips (even though I know an employer must pay the difference if the server does not make enough in tips to meet the standard minimum wage).

So to make a long story short if they want to get away from the "tipping for service" and have this fee instead, I would rather them just offer their employees a better hourly wage (and increases in their hourly wage based upon performance). My gut tells me that the good servers who go out of their way to provide exceptional service are going to be the one's hurting and will walk. And then places are going to be left with crappy service which will make me not want to spend my money there anymore.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:54 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Certified Durham living wage businesses: https://www.durhamlivingwageproject.org/certified

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO BECOME LIVING WAGE CERTIFIED?
Local employers that pay a living wage are part of a community that aims to do well by doing good. Living wage certification is free to employers. To be certified by the Durham Living Wage PRoject, all you have to do is:

Endorse the value that Durham workers need a living wage, which we define as the amount of income needed for an individual or family to meet basic needs such as housing, food, and transportation without public or private assistance
Pay at least Durham City and County's current Livable Wage amount to all regular full-and part-time employees. For 2017-2018 this amount is $13.35/ hour. If employers provide health insurance (paying at least 50% of the premium), the livable wage is reduced by $1.50 to $11.85/hour. For tipped employees, wages plus tips must equal $13.35/$11.85 an hour when averaged out
Complete a brief straight-forward Living Wage Employer Application

Old 06-18-2021, 03:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
We most always tip 20% or more when we get good service so I have no problem with this.

I do have an issue if it impacts the service. My daughter lives in Australia. They pay their servers minimum wage (used to be $17 per hour) and there is no tipping. Service isn't that great.

Last night we had terrible service as did the tables around us. We tipped the guy 20% anyway because he was new (that was his first night) and it was busy!

My kids were servers while in high school and college and I know they made much more than minimum wage. I remember a few years ago my daughter was averaging $30 per hour as a server.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:26 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
We most always tip 20% or more when we get good service so I have no problem with this.

I do have an issue if it impacts the service. My daughter lives in Australia. They pay their servers minimum wage (used to be $17 per hour) and there is no tipping. Service isn't that great.

Last night we had terrible service as did the tables around us. We tipped the guy 20% anyway because he was new (that was his first night) and it was busy!

My kids were servers while in high school and college and I know they made much more than minimum wage. I remember a few years ago my daughter was averaging $30 per hour as a server.
Yup.
Good servers in busy establishments see $15/hour as a threat to their livelihoods.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:31 PM

926 posts, read 827,990 times
A “living wage” fee? I don’t think it’s a good idea, mostly just pandering. Most servers easily rake in $20+ hr provided they give good service.

Let servers control how much they earn, based on their level of service. I would guess that most servers will actually earn less. Good job, way to ruin a successful tipping culture.

I usually tip 30-35% for good service, sometimes I even tip 150% if it’s exceptional. When customer service gets sloppy because they are guaranteed a flat rate (see most drive thru workers), then my business will go elsewhere.

In addition to that, the profit margin for restaurants is so small (most of you probably earn significantly more than the majority of local restaurant owners), that I would foresee many restaurants just ending dine in service altogether to save money, which we have seen in many areas recently.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:41 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
A “living wage” fee? I don’t think it’s a good idea, mostly just pandering. Most servers easily rake in $20+ hr provided they give good service.

Let servers control how much they earn, based on their level of service. I would guess that most servers will actually earn less. Good job, way to ruin a successful tipping culture.

I usually tip 30-35% for good service, sometimes I even tip 150% if it’s exceptional. When customer service gets sloppy because they are guaranteed a flat rate (see most drive thru workers), then my business will go elsewhere.

In addition to that, the profit margin for restaurants is so small (most of you probably earn significantly more than the majority of local restaurant owners), that I would foresee many restaurants just ending dine in service altogether to save money, which we have seen in many areas recently.

Welllll... The venue has to be successful enough, bring in enough traffic, to provide tips.

We were at a sports bar the other night. Like many, they have a permanent "Help Wanted" sign out front. And, more servers than tables. They cannot generate enough business to provide tips to all those servers, and the servers cannot get enough reps to learn how to do really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary