Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 07:05 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What are the crappy insurers?
If the price is too good to be true....

Also, stick with property and casualty insurers. Not life insurance companies who sell P&C.

If I were looking right now I'd be looking at Erie, Amica and Farm Bureau. Utica if they sell in NC but I've never had a claim with them so I don't think they do.

Last edited by twingles; 06-21-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Also, stick with property and casualty insurers. Not life insurance companies who sell P&C.
Honestly my premiums have gone up so much, I don't know what's too good to be true anymore

Old 06-21-2021, 07:35 PM

40 posts, read 50,612 times
Quote:

If I were looking right now I'd be looking at Erie, Amica and Farm Bureau. Utica if they sell in NC but I've never had a claim with them so I don't think they do.
What about State Farm? I will be calling this week as I will be closing soon. I have been renting the last three years, so just have my cars and umbrella policy with them, so hoping to have a nice bundle packaged.

Hoping State Farm is a solid choice.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:01 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Honestly my premiums have gone up so much, I don't know what's too good to be true anymore
Sounds like it's time for you to shop around a little.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:47 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
20% increase in March with Geico. Checked around and it was in line if not still cheaper than the rest.
Geico is great with auto, but their homeowners was $300 more than a couple of other companies I checked.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:18 AM

545 posts, read 1,604,906 times
I have Farm Bureau. Homeowners only went up 2.7% ($21 increase), but my auto went up 57.8% ($203 increase) due to a small fender bender where the repair costs to my vehicle was around $2,400 (before my $500 deductible, so they only paid out around $1,600). I was told there was first accident forgiveness if the repairs were under a certain amount; guess that amount is less than $2,400!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:37 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar1919 View Post
What about State Farm? I will be calling this week as I will be closing soon. I have been renting the last three years, so just have my cars and umbrella policy with them, so hoping to have a nice bundle packaged.

Hoping State Farm is a solid choice.
We've been with State Farm for over 20 years. We have car, home, and life with them and are paying a lot of money. It's time to shop around I think. My neighbor just switched to them and she got significant savings from her previous insurer.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Haven't got an increase but I'm going to be shopping all my insurance soon.

Amica is one of the more expensive insurers. But they have great claim service and if your house burns down you don't want to be insured with a crap insurer (I don't work for them).
It's interesting that you call out Amica as being one of the more expensive insurers, for us the opposite was true. And although our premium increased this past year, it was nominal and nothing concerning.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:07 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
It's interesting that you call out Amica as being one of the more expensive insurers, for us the opposite was true. And although our premium increased this past year, it was nominal and nothing concerning.

That's good to know - I am going to be shopping with them. I have State Farm now, been with them 30 years. But they've gotten way too expensive and my insurance has not decreased with my sons reaching the 3 year driving experience milestone and I'm told that the rate should go down now. I don't have tolerance for chasing down what's owed to me especially after being there so long. I know Amica has good service too. I don't mind paying if I'm going to get proper service when I have a claim.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
I've been happy with Amica but I can't take nearly a 100% increase in just 3 years - it's crazy. I argued it last year bringing up the whole socialized roofing thing, but they say their hands are tied because they have no way to prove the age of people's roofs because nobody pulls permits. Something needs to change in regards to how the insurance companies handle people making claims on 20+ year old roofs - passing off the cost to everyone does not work, our premiums will very quickly get out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary