Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 06:30 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
We built new screen deck and patio this year. Called amica to notify. We had to do a Hover app process. Our original home value was from 2019. The Hover assessed our home value to be 140k more. The Hover value does match comps in the last year. So amica increased home coverage from 1200/yr to 1650/yr. Policy goes till June 2023. Not sure if I will shop it, I really do like amica and the increase does seem fair and related to our home value and addition of 65k in new spaces.

I like Amica also but not loyal enough for insurance brands - it's just an insurance company who in the end don't care about you. Just can't equate that to the Toyota/Ford/Chevy, etc-loyal brands people go crazy for. I priced out Allstate with the same coverage amounts and the increase in home value from 2020 and the premium was still way less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:08 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I like Amica also but not loyal enough for insurance brands - it's just an insurance company who in the end don't care about you.
Amica is a mutual insurance company, which means it is owned by the customers.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:15 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
That's true. The question, properly framed, is whether a mutual insurance company or any other organization of a similar structure is actually run in accordance with the views of the majority of stakeholders -- or whether the organization is run by senior management and a board of directors that's self-selecting, for all practical purposes, without any meaningful input from the stakeholders. At the end of the day, if a policy-holder doesn't like how the mutual insurance company is operated, about the only recourse is to move to a different insuror.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Amica definitely did not care about my complaints of end-of-life roofs being replaced under insurance.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:43 PM

715 posts, read 1,040,502 times
Just received our policy renewal, payment due Jan. 15th. Very happy to report back that our homeowners only went up 4% this year. State Farm.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:08 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
Looks like we're going to be switching from Amica to Farm Bureau...gonna save almost 20% on homeowners and a little bit on umbrella. Auto is a wash.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,151,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Looks like we're going to be switching from Amica to Farm Bureau...gonna save almost 20% on homeowners and a little bit on umbrella. Auto is a wash.
Same, Amica rate sky rocketed. Switched to farm bureau and saved on both home and auto. Folks over there friendly and I got setup real quick. They probably gave me a promo rate but whatever, can shop around again in a year.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:07 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
Our policies have steadily climbed, when I got a new quote I was asked how old my roof was! My roof was "shot", leaking during heavy rain and had those crappy certainteed shingles. I replaced it on my own, in hind sight it was a mistake should of got insurance to pay like every one else.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:58 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Our policies have steadily climbed, when I got a new quote I was asked how old my roof was! My roof was "shot", leaking during heavy rain and had those crappy certainteed shingles. I replaced it on my own, in hind sight it was a mistake should of got insurance to pay like every one else.
Thanks for doing the right thing. If more people did, our insurance rates wouldn't be so high.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:19 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I am in the only house in my section of the neighborhood who hasn't replaced their roof in the last 18 months. Everyone did it with a claim.

Was told point blank by a neighbor that "you aren't virtuous, you're a sucker" for not using my Insurance to pay for it.

Welcome to club fellow poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary