Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 6,481 times

Advertisements

Any kid who does not turn 5 before August (for that academic year), must score at the 98th percentile or higher on a standardized intelligence battery administered by a licensed
psychologist or licensed psychological associate in order to be considered for the EKE program.

My kid scored 95 percentile & was unable to hit 98 percentile mark. I understand most people are not in favor of sending kids early for KG. Keeping that aside, and keeping what challanges kids/famalies faced over last 15 months or so due to covid, how can I convince wake county public schools to consider my application?

Plese provide suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 01:12 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
You probably can't since you're trying to fight both the cutoff date and the benchmark they've set for kids who haven't reached that date.

They have to have some hard and fast rules so they can have a general idea of how many kids they are going to have every year...especially with the K-3 class size mandate coming down the pike.

Based on your prior posts your kid not only misses the cutoff, but misses by SIX WEEKS and wouldn't have made the old cut off date that was in effect till 10 years ago...so there's really never been a time when WCPSS was going to take your kid based on their birthday.

If you want a real answer you should call WCPSS but I think you know what the answer is going to be.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:31 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
I remember back in the 90s, the hard cutoff was October 15th. And my sister, who had been reading since 2 missed it by a week. My mom pulled out all the stops for a couple years and got nowhere. The year after my sister went to school, NC changed to a more nuanced deadline. My dad used to tell my mom that it was likely her that broke them lol.

Sorry, just an anecdote, nothing much to add except to say twingles seems to have the measure of this.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:40 PM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Isn't this already going to a boom year for KG due to all the parents that red-shirted their kids last year due to COVID? I'm seem to recall some online article talking about this years class being 15-20% up due to this. Would seem like a tough year to get an exemption to send your kid early as they will likely already have their hands full.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:10 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Isn't this already going to a boom year for KG due to all the parents that red-shirted their kids last year due to COVID? .
Probably!

Old 07-05-2021, 02:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Even if your child had passed the test, it would still be up to the discretion of the principal. The only way around it is to send your kid to private school.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:38 PM

466 posts, read 700,945 times
Out of curiosity why are you so excited to get your kid into Kindergarten this year?

Do you think they will have a leg up in life or get an extra year of income by graduating a year early?

I'm not trying to be mean or judge, I'm honestly curious.

Keep the good fight if you'd like but I would be shocked if the school system sided with you.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:57 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times
If you are so set into this, you need to get on the waiting list (although it's probably super long but you never know) for Thales Academy or other private schools. I mention Thales because they have several locations and have more chances getting off a wait list.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Out of curiosity why are you so excited to get your kid into Kindergarten this year?

Do you think they will have a leg up in life or get an extra year of income by graduating a year early?

I'm not trying to be mean or judge, I'm honestly curious.

Keep the good fight if you'd like but I would be shocked if the school system sided with you.

I think my son is ready for KG. This is just my observation & I can be wrong but I have seen my son thriving when challaged. May be its true for most kids but specially true for my kid, any time my son needs to do something repetative, he looses interest and focus. I have seen him doing better than most his friends academically as well. Saving sometime is the last thing on my mind.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Even if your child had passed the test, it would still be up to the discretion of the principal. The only way around it is to send your kid to private school.

Is it possible to send kid to a private school for KG and then move to first grade in a public school ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary