Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,044 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a position in Rocky Mount. We are looking to live closer to Raleigh --- thinking about Wake Forest. It will be quite a commute, but we have been through years of commuting in the Detroit area. Any thoughts on Wake Forest? We have an eleven year old boy very active in Hockey and other sports along with 4 year old twin boys.

I am currently looking for a job in the area, but no luck yet. Are there many two income families? I see many references to stay at home moms......

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 04:58 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
"We have an eleven year old boy very active in Hockey..."
Well, we'll tell you, but we don't want to hear a bunch of Detroit Redwings stuff.
Go Canes!

Good schools in Wake Forest. For more information here is the link to Wake County Schools Website:
http://www.wcpss.net/schoolmain.html

Broad variety of housing options exists in W-F, from starter homes to McMansions.

You will find both two income families and stay-at-home moms.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
hi

I live in wake forest, and have been here almost 2 years. I have two little ones (2 and 4, really close to 3 and 5). Anyhow, wake forest is definitely family friendly, has a great small town feel but has all of the amenities that you would need daily (grocery, good schools, target, walmart, etc). The factory (ice hockey, indoor soccer) website is eatshopplay.com and you can get more information regarding the hockey program.

I do think many families are double income. My friends are from my kids preschool and the majority of the moms stay home, but some (me included) work part time. In my neighborhood it is probably half and half, single and double income.

For your twins, most of the elementary schools are going to be year round in the fall with only 2 being on the traditional calendar (wake forest elementary which is also a magnet school and forest pines elementary). For the middle schools, two are traditional (wakefield and wake forest rolesville) and one is year round (heritage). I think it can be confusing when you first start learning about it, but check out the wake county public school website and that might help www.wcpss.net

PM me if you have more questions. I really do love wake forest, it has a great small town feel. I have lived in the triangle area most of my life (since I was three) and since I have been married we have lived in holly springs, raleigh, apex and cary, and now wake forest. I like the feel of wake forest the most.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Leigh

Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbz View Post
My husband is taking a position in Rocky Mount. We are looking to live closer to Raleigh --- thinking about Wake Forest. It will be quite a commute, but we have been through years of commuting in the Detroit area. Any thoughts on Wake Forest? We have an eleven year old boy very active in Hockey and other sports along with 4 year old twin boys.

I am currently looking for a job in the area, but no luck yet. Are there many two income families? I see many references to stay at home moms......

Thx
There are plenty of two-income families....we are one! I think that due to the seminary's influence, yeah, you see more SAHMs then in other areas of the triangle...but don't let that stop you. Wake Forest is a great area for families. The 'downtown' doesn't offer much to be honest, and most shops seem to close at 5pm anyway so those with most jobs couldn't shop there most of the time, but we are close enough to everything else that it doesn't matter.

Also, the Factory is great for skating (my daughter takes basic figure skating), we had a wonderful time at WF Elementary and our friends seem to be happy with the other schools(elementary and middle).

Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,044 times
Great thanks for all of your input! I'm trying to be prepared as possible for this move, but as it gets closer I feel less and less prepared.

As far as the Wings comment, no worries - the Hurricanes are the only reason our son agreed to moving to Raleigh...

Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"We have an eleven year old boy very active in Hockey..."Well, we'll tell you, but we don't want to hear a bunch of Detroit Redwings stuff. Go Canes!
Mike, your hockey team has my old #1 Flyers favorite, Rod Brind'Amour. I haven't watched the Flyers play since they traded him to your Hurricanes, I was just sick about him leaving. I actually had tears in my eyes when I watched t.v. and saw him skate around the ice holding the Stanley cup. I was so happy for him. I told my DH, "Now we HAVE to check out NC. It worked out well for ROD!"

[CENTER][/CENTER]
Sorry for the hijack!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
"the Hurricanes are the only reason our son agreed to moving to Raleigh..."
That's a smart boy you've got there.

And adream: Yep, that trade surely was a winner for Carolina, huh?

Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbz View Post

Thx
Congrats on the new position in Rocky Mount! Wake Forest is a beautiful town with all the amenities mentioned above, and the hockey at the Factory will be right up your son's alley. It will be about an hour commute, so I would recommend staying on the eastern side of WF, or possibly looking at Rolesville. The schools are great - my kids are in school in WF, although we live in Raleigh right on the WF border. I agree that it feels like 50/50 SAH moms and working moms. If you're concerned about after school care, etc., there are great programs available. My daughter is in the YMCA after school program which is actually at her school, and they also offer "track out camps" for the kids in year round school. She loves going to the "big Y" for camp.

What kind of work are you looking for? Are you full-time or part time? If you need any additional info on schools, either pm me or search my posts - I used to teach on traditional schedule while my daughter was in year round, so I can offer some perspective on that issue.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary