Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:07 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,050,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
It looks like Apple set off some domino effect. Another San Fran based company will be moving its HQ to Durham/RTP area. Austin was a contender but they went with Durham.

Here is the Smart Wire's release about this event: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301342505.html
It may be because there are three other major Smart Grid/Metering companies in the area - Elster/Honeywell, Itron and Sensus. Lots of great talent to poach !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:04 PM

85 posts, read 117,995 times
When is Apple suppose to start construction of the RTP campus ?

Old 07-28-2021, 09:15 PM

4,332 posts, read 6,029,193 times
Don’t believe there’s any word yet. Might be a while given the size of the campus and the need to get through the approvals and permitting.

They’re currently working through that process with the town of Cary on their temp space at MetLife III, which will obviously be a lot quicker given the building is already there so it’s just a tenant upfit.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 AM

4,305 posts, read 4,762,994 times
Parcels in the park are subject to approval processes of either unincorporated Durham County or unincorporated Wake County, depending where they sit. I assume the Apple site is in Wake County. The park foundation and owner's association have their own development rules and approval processes. So far as I know, no municipal ETJ has jurisdiction.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:14 AM

4,332 posts, read 6,029,193 times
Correct, Apple is in the Wake portion of RTP, and RTF and the county will be the ones handling approvals and permitting.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 AM

30,523 posts, read 23,950,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Whether you cut down the trees with your own two hands or were several (or many) steps removed from that, you absolutely contributed to the growth you're complaining about.

That "available apartment" would have been taken by someone else who now needs to find another place to live, and dominoes on down the line. Do you not drive anywhere, contributing to traffic? Do you not patronize retail stores, increasing demand and driving further growth?
Again wrong. The area I live in has multiple upon multiple vacancies in many apartment complexes, every single month.

I did not destroy a damn tree or forest anywhere for some ugly gargantuan ridiculous HOA cookie cutter home with vinyl siding and brick base. (Who the hell told anyone that was a good look? It's hideous.)

I took no ones job, no one is without a job because of me.

The complex I live in now has been here for over 30 years, I did not go into one of those new fancy shmancy complexes. Where I live now has vacancies.

So, wrong.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:18 AM

9,157 posts, read 14,844,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again wrong. The area I live in has multiple upon multiple vacancies in many apartment complexes, every single month.

I did not destroy a damn tree or forest anywhere for some ugly gargantuan ridiculous HOA cookie cutter home with vinyl siding and brick base. (Who the hell told anyone that was a good look? It's hideous.)

I took no ones job, no one is without a job because of me.

The complex I live in now has been here for over 30 years, I did not go into one of those new fancy shmancy complexes. Where I live now has vacancies.

So, wrong.
What do you think was there 31 years ago? What's your limit for when cutting down a tree is “good” v bad”? 29 years?

And vacancies are normal in all complexes. It's planned for and needed for cleaning, painting, etc. The fact is if you didn't move to the area, there would be need for one less apartment overall. Multiply that by all the people who move here a week. You can choose to believe it doesn't matter, but facts say yes.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:01 AM

3,681 posts, read 3,975,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
One of the first things I noticed about N. Caroline when I moved here was how many trees there were. It was beautiful. So. Many. Trees! Forests everywhere.

In the year and a half since I've been here - they've destroyed so many of those forests for stupid HOAs. Ugly, cookie cutter houses, huge houses, (who the hell needs a house that stinkin' big?), all kinds of forest areas bulldozed to the ground.

Traffic already sucks, this will make it worse.

Sometimes, 'development' is not worth the so called 'gains'.

Wildlife is running out of places to live. Daily, wildlife is splattered on the side of the road.

Just a few weeks ago, 2 young deer leaped out in front of my car within an hour of each other, in completely different areas. Both of them in areas that were developed, with a sliver of forest left on the sides.

Some months ago, a fully grown deer leaped out in front of my car at 7:30 pm on the road after taking the Lake Boon Trail exit. Luckily, I saw him on the side of the road, although it was relatively dark, and was in the left lane, so I was already applying my brakes before he decided to jump right in front of me. Had I not seen him before, my car and myself would have been a mess.

At the time, I had not been to that area very much, but the next time I was there, taking that same exit in the day time, I looked to see how deep the 'forest' area was. There were hardly any trees there - and then there's the freeway. Where the hell did he come from? That can't be their home, it's not thick enough.

This state is being destroyed. I'm not a native, but in just a year and a half, there has been so much destruction of what makes this state beautiful.

It's really sad, and sickening.

I've come from concrete jungles. I really wish NC wouldn't go that way.
I too am concerned about the loss of trees which are the main appeal to the Piedmont landscape.

If you look at Google maps, you'd see that there are far less tree-filled areas than what is perceived. Farm land is the main reason, nut 30 years of non-stop development has come at a huge cost and now threatens NC's beauty and pleasant landscape.

Believe it or not, Raleigh is on of the most forested spots in the region. And while I hate the tree-less postage stamp lots, when you fly into RDU you can see that those tightly situated homes have spared a lot of the tree canopy and it's still beautiful.

But we can easily solve this issue by going and planting a couple of trees next week. So many benefits, almost no downsides, trees with save the earth.

So please go plant a tree this week!

Old 08-01-2021, 12:30 PM

52 posts, read 43,263 times
Confirmed that Apple will start out on Weston Parkway in one of the Metlife Towers until construction in RTP is complete. Good news for that area of Cary!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:46 AM

4,305 posts, read 4,762,994 times
Deforestation in the Triangle also works the other way around... small family farms that were abandoned in the last 30 years and are returning to forest. From 2004 to 2014, the number of tobacco farms in NC fell by 75%. Most of those were small family operations, sometimes only an acre or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary