Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:40 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,559,460 times

Advertisements

There's no intact old-growth forest anywhere in the Triangle. A look at aerial photos shows that much of what's now "clear-cut" West Cary was already clear-cut farm fields just 40 years ago.

Less than a century ago, even Umstead State Park was rocky farm fields, not towering trees, as documented by government photographers at the time that the area's residents were forcibly displaced for our future recreational enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 PM

4,171 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Deforestation in the Triangle also works the other way around... small family farms that were abandoned in the last 30 years and are returning to forest. From 2004 to 2014, the number of tobacco farms in NC fell by 75%. Most of those were small family operations, sometimes only an acre or two.
My family’s Chatham County farm has largely become a tree farm since my grandfather passed 35 years ago.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:49 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,827,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again wrong. The area I live in has multiple upon multiple vacancies in many apartment complexes, every single month.

I did not destroy a damn tree or forest anywhere for some ugly gargantuan ridiculous HOA cookie cutter home with vinyl siding and brick base. (Who the hell told anyone that was a good look? It's hideous.)

I took no ones job, no one is without a job because of me.

The complex I live in now has been here for over 30 years, I did not go into one of those new fancy shmancy complexes. Where I live now has vacancies.

So, wrong.
I’ve never seen someone so dead bent on not admitting they are a human who consumes resources.

I moved down here from DC. I bought a job position that adds to Durham’s tax base along with my Hyundai which adds to Durham’s pollution and took an apartment which trees got cut down for regardless of if it was built before or after I was born 30+ years ago.

I will be doing the same thing in Charlotte in a matter of weeks and my place will go to someone who may use more or less of Durham’s resources. That is how life moves in a place that people want to be.

I’ll admit, Apple is hiring for a few positions that are within my field which I’d be interested in at the new campus. If my current company wasn’t treating me so good regardless of where I clock in from work from, the Triangle may have gotten another year from the Diss.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,220,005 times
This just in: Trees grow.

25 years ago, Hurricane Fran blew through Raleigh and felled A LOT of trees, so many so that dump trucks were clearing and burning trees for a year. Is that even noticeable today?

Just go to streetview on Google maps and play with the years to watch trees grow all over the place. The key is for the city to maintain good policy on tree planting in the public realm, and using codes to require that they get planted within private development.

Raleigh is not on the verge of losing its canopy, and even trees planted at new developments downtown are starting to make an impact on the sidewalk experiences.

When Apple builds its campus on the south side of the lakes from Cisco's campus, it will plant all sorts of new small trees like Cisco did 25 years ago. The trees that were planted on Cisco's campus when new now make seeing the buildings on the south side of Kit Creek Rd. quite difficult. That's how much they've grown.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:40 AM

9,153 posts, read 14,805,007 times
I'll never forget when they did some work at the now Village District maybe 15-20 years ago and had to tear down some trees. They were quite large oaks, people were freaking out some, complaining they were cutting down some sort of old growth forest. The owner was like hey, those trees were planted from saplings when the place was built, here are the photos.

I take drone photos in places all over the area practically every day. There are lots of trees. Would it be nice if new subdivisions could be built and save more? Sure it would. But then the average house would instantly cost probably 25% more than it does even now, due to the size lots that are required! Maybe more. It also would encourage even more sprawl which certainly has environmental impacts. Then you have the farm areas, much of which are being built on now, where there were no trees for the last hundred years or more and now trees are being planted. It's not a cut and dried issue.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:16 AM

36 posts, read 26,381 times
Not a fan of HOAs but there is a house in Apex with a ton of garbage and stuff in front yard. HOA would stop that. I'm sure the neighbors are thrilled. It's right near Apex high if you want to see it. Have to wonder if the guy is mentally ill.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:21 AM

4,279 posts, read 4,736,528 times
If it's that bad, someone should call the Town of Apex and cite their ordinances.

https://library.municode.com/nc/apex...0HESA_ARTIINGE

https://library.municode.com/nc/apex...DI_S12-110DEGA

Old 08-31-2021, 02:52 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,550,639 times
In several years, interesting Little Dr. extension, shown in this drone video:

https://youtu.be/rPus3JX8j0k

Old 08-31-2021, 02:57 PM

9,153 posts, read 14,805,007 times
It's been known a couple of years that instead of running 147 down to Town Hall Drive like what was planned, that it would curve around to Davis so at least improving connectivity there, since all the Preston whinersdon't want it to connect in case the Crabtree Crossing extension goes through.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 AM

82 posts, read 79,539 times
Sorry to bring this up again. Where will the actual campus be? I see where the temp location is in the Metlife building, but where will the actual campus be located?

I just bought a house, and selfishly, I am seeing if the location of my new home will be effected by the increase of higher income Apple employees, I.E. my house should increase in value once the employees start coming in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary