Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 09:46 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,165,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Exactly. And as you said, they transfer in with much less effort expended doing the work at community college/other state school than it would have taken in high school.
But, they don't get that freshman experience at UNC that is the crux and foundation of a Carolina education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 09:55 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,165,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
Curious if anyone thinks that private schools enables a better chance for competitive university admittance - ie due to a more rigorous curriculum. Our kids have several peers going this route, not necessarily for this reason and mostly Thales, but we’re not convinced it will really move the needle in the end.
To a certain extent I would say yes. I actually had one professor at PENN insinuate that having a private school pedigree was "desired" for students entering PENN. Made me feel very insecure with my JoCo public school education, eventhough I had excellent grades.

On the other hand, not all private schools are equal, as we all know. They would probably consider an education from schools like Ravenscroft or Cary Academy as better preparation than certain other private schools in the area.

Since these schools get sooooo many applications from students that have 4.5-5.0 GPAs, 1500-1600 SAT scores, and boatloads of extracurricular activities to boot, they essentially need ways to distinguish one applicant from another. I would say that all top schools look for one common thing...evidence that the applicant has the ability to think outside the box.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 07-21-2021 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 04:38 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Curious if anyone thinks that private schools enables a better chance for competitive university admittance - ie due to a more rigorous curriculum. Our kids have several peers going this route, not necessarily for this reason and mostly Thales, but we’re not convinced it will really move the needle in the end.
All private schools have colleges that they are “feeders” to. Thales is likely not well established enough to be in that position yet. I believe having gone to Gibbons helped my son get into State but if you’re talking about schools like Ivies then no I don’t think so. In fact so few kids go to private colleges from public high schools around here that I think just being from NC is an advantage in a lot of cases. We’ve all heard the story of the girl from Panther Creek who didn’t get into UNC a few years ago but got into Harvard.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:16 PM

129 posts, read 116,059 times
Quote:
My guess is not really, maybe the top 2 or 3 in area. We were enrolled in a private that was not one of those and I actually think it would have been a negative in our case. He got into a charter we wanted and we backed out. At the private he was forced to take a freshman seminar, theology and PE whereas at the charter he doubled up in science and took an enriched history course in place of those. More freedom which we liked. We came from a K-8 private, most choose for the perceived bubble more than anything. The private is a fine school, just not the best choice for my kid, it would have held him back.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:32 PM

82 posts, read 134,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
The extra curriculurs will help a great deal. My son got into UNC 2 years ago with a 4.5 GPA, 1500 SAT, 10 APs but few extras besides a varsity sport (and his parents being alumns).
Legacy status only applies if you are out of state applicants.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
I thought most Ivy League schools only accepted one or two students a year from a single school. Wouldn't attending a school like Enloe or Raleigh Charter put you at a disadvantage?

Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 AM

129 posts, read 116,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I thought most Ivy League schools only accepted one or two students a year from a single school. Wouldn't attending a school like Enloe or Raleigh Charter put you at a disadvantage?
I thought through this when we were deciding. I was possibly putting my kid at a disadvantage going to RC, but I knew without question he would be more challenged and come out smarter than our other options. The likelihood of Ivy outcome at any school is so slim that it seemed silly to make a decision based on this. Not sure what others think, but that was my logic.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:18 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
There are 8 Ivies even if they each accept 1 kid per high school that’s 8 kids…add to that their own competitive criteria that’s plenty of opportunity at most high schools. Again many kids and parents think stellar grades are enough for an Ivy and that’s not close to the truth.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are 8 Ivies even if they each accept 1 kid per high school that’s 8 kids…
But they definitely don't accept 1 kid per high school. There are more high schools in the US than there are first year students in all the Ivy League schools put together.

There are plenty of other excellent schools out there that are not in the Ivy League like UNC, Duke, Stanford, MIT, U-Chicago, Berkeley, Vanderbilt, GA Tech, etc. It would be a shame to limit your child to only the Ivies. Another school might be a better fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary