Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:26 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,244,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Interesting house in Cary https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...ource=txtshare

I think you’ll be able to find something that meets your must have list, but it’s going to be waiting for the right one to come up when you’re ready to buy. It’ll be nestled in a beautiful neighborhood, but unlikely to find a neighborhood full of one floor main living.
the one in Chapel Hill is likely too close to 15-501 traffic, but yes it would be instructive what SFBB thinks about the house.

The Cary house seems to fall in the "too wide open" category though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 10:28 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,244,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I agree with your sentiment, above, (though I have not given up on finding some single story houses among other upscale homes) and I thank you for your comment.

The house to which you linked (Kevin Way) is actually in Kildaire Farms, which is not an area of interest to us, in part because of the age of the housing stock, in part because it looks like the extremely heavy tree canopy make the area dark and overly woodsy. (We love trees, but even we have a limit.) We dislike the flipped house, too.

It also isn't the most upscale neighborhood, and (I may be wrong) and the area has price reductions in price, so perhaps an area in decline?
Kevin Way is the backside of MacGregor Downs.

eta: as I see was pointed out. And by backside, I don't mean anything derogatory, I just mean the back edge.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:00 PM

599 posts, read 334,029 times
Quote:
Hi. I'd like to focus on just Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary and other close-in communities and not get led astray to outer areas that are of no interest to us.

I posted in the R.T.P metro forum because my sole interest in posting here is in this immediate area.
But you can't find an example of a house in a neighborhood that you would consider buying in?

Quote:
In considering a retirement move, we still want to continue to be near (very near) major hospitals, medical offices, universities, libraries, shopping, museums, entertainment, and we would prefer to be able to drive to at least one international airport but not be within earshot of it. We have absolutely no desire to live in a rural area away from these amenities.
Based on your previous comments I would guess you think of Durham as a crime infested hellhole, but it ticks a lot of your boxes and there are some very nice neighborhoods. Just saying.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:04 AM

363 posts, read 440,580 times
Hi have you looked around Carrboro or Sherwood Forest (something like that) in Durham?
Carrboro has lots of tear downs and also has a few MCM homes. I think l know what you mean about not having the trees right around the house, more like a buffer zone around the perimeter of the property? I would like that also; a sunny ranch house with windows on all sides is my preference.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 08-31-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-01-2021, 07:58 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
I haven’t read the entire thread, but this is my suggestion:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare

Buy this lot and built a house. Nobody has to join the country club to live in Preston.

Tree screens to the sides and back keep prying eyes away.

Just an idea.

ETA: Fireworks will always be wherever people are, though.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I haven’t read the entire thread, but this is my suggestion:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare

Buy this lot and built a house. Nobody has to join the country club to live in Preston.

Tree screens to the sides and back keep prying eyes away.

Just an idea.

ETA: Fireworks will always be wherever people are, though.
Thank you for your post.

I can see that it is in Morrisville, which, TTBOMK, means there will be significant airport noise, from what I have been told and what I have read and the flight path map I have seen. ETA: The aerial I saw of the lot shows that it is on a main road, and we want to be "tucked away" off a busy road.

https://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/102...397339_5_0.jpg

Also, TTBOMR, I said our strong preference is not to build a house ourselves, as we are not young and fit and we prefer established neighborhoods if we cannot locate a new development of the type we seek that is close in to hospitals, libraries, shopping, etc.

I doubt that your neighborhood fireworks are anything like what we experienced here this summer; nothing at all like the constant barrage of explosives that blew up all around our houses and landed in our yards.

I grew up with fireworks and enjoyed them the way they were then. As a child, we had a neighbor (a real estate agent, ) who used to invite all the neighbors over for ice cream and fireworks, and set off a nice display until the year his backyard building caught on fire from the display.

I still enjoy public displays, but what happens around here has escalated to the point of people and houses in serious danger.. This year was the worst on record in our neighborhood. ALL of the fireworks here were illegal. We have a new neighbor who may be an illegal fireworks seller (or related to one) and who may have decided to set off all inventory before it got seized. All were dangerous explosives. (As it happened, the news reported that shortly before July 4th, there was a large bust [15,000 pounds and a million dollars in cash, so those in possession were said to be getting rid of their stashes however they could.]).

The barrage went on nearly nonstop for about 5 hours. It seemed like molotov cocktails and military type rockets were everywhere. I suppose I could have called the police, but I didn't. I don't like to do that.
I just swore that if our house didn't burn down (I am not given to exaggeration), then I would move away ASAP.

We have a terrible problem with drought and fires in CA and the extensive use of illegal bottle rockets M-80's and who knows what else (I am no expert) is not only terrifying, but extremely dangerous to persons, animals and property.

Explosive fireworks are illegal in NC, from what I have read. And even if someone sets off some illegal fireworks, I doubt seriously that one household sets off tens of thousands of dollars of explosives. If I'm wrong, well OK, then I'm disappointed.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 09-01-2021 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Edit to add note re aerial of Morrisville lot

Old 09-01-2021, 09:41 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post.

I can see that it is in Morrisville, which, TTBOMK, means there will be significant airport noise, from what I have been told and what I have read and the flight path map I have seen. ETA: The aerial I saw of the lot shows that it is on a main road, and we want to be "tucked away" off a busy road.

https://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/102...397339_5_0.jpg

Also, TTBOMR, I said our strong preference is not to build a house ourselves, as we are not young and fit and we prefer established neighborhoods if we cannot locate a new development of the type we seek that is close in to hospitals, libraries, shopping, etc.

I doubt that your neighborhood fireworks are anything like what we experienced here this summer; nothing at all like the constant barrage of explosives that blew up all around our houses and landed in our yards.

I grew up with fireworks and enjoyed them the way they were then. As a child, we had a neighbor (a real estate agent, ) who used to invite all the neighbors over for ice cream and fireworks, and set off a nice display until the year his backyard building caught on fire from the display.

I still enjoy public displays, but what happens around here has escalated to the point of people and houses in serious danger.. This year was the worst on record in our neighborhood. ALL of the fireworks here were illegal. We have a new neighbor who may be an illegal fireworks seller (or related to one) and who may have decided to set off all inventory before it got seized. All were dangerous explosives. (As it happened, the news reported that shortly before July 4th, there was a large bust [15,000 pounds and a million dollars in cash, so those in possession were said to be getting rid of their stashes however they could.]).

The barrage went on nearly nonstop for about 5 hours. It seemed like molotov cocktails and military type rockets were everywhere. I suppose I could have called the police, but I didn't. I don't like to do that.
I just swore that if our house didn't burn down (I am not given to exaggeration), then I would move away ASAP.

We have a terrible problem with drought and fires in CA and the extensive use of illegal bottle rockets M-80's and who knows what else (I am no expert) is not only terrifying, but extremely dangerous to persons, animals and property.

Explosive fireworks are illegal in NC, from what I have read. And even if someone sets off some illegal fireworks, I doubt seriously that one household sets off tens of thousands of dollars of explosives. If I'm wrong, well OK, then I'm disappointed.
I don’t think the airport noise is too bad in that location. I say this because I dislike plane noise and am near there often.

As for Crabtree Crossing being a main road… sorta? The speed limit is 25 (I think) and it’s full of speed tables/bumps.

There are some retiree cluster homes right down the street.

You really are looking for a specialty needle in an exotic haystack without a metal detector.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don’t think the airport noise is too bad in that location. I say this because I dislike plane noise and am near there often..
I downloaded a map of the RDU flight path (where did that thing go?) and I recall seeing Morrisville being in the path of plane noise. Also I got a personal note about that Western area being problematic, noise-wise.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:12 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post.

Again, don't focus on what the mailing address says. Your neighbors 100 yards away are in Cary. Places in Wake Forest and Raleigh will have the same (really more considering the takeoff patterns) than Morrisville.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:44 AM

129 posts, read 116,353 times
From one picky person to another, no one is going to find anything you like and this exercise is a waste of time haha! That style of home is not common here like some other areas. We have tons of beautiful neighborhoods that are manicured and upscale, but the large single story is a bit of a unicorn. Hope you can visit soon to look around, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary