Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 03:52 PM

43,295 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
My "problem" is that I don't like seeing a poster singled out for being "harmless" in promoting his home town. And if you're a realtor, you might want to educate yourself on the development that's going on in Franklin County.

And I have family members who live in Cary, been there plenty--and always happy to leave.
LOL
It was harmless indeed. He was picked at for suggesting a community that in no way meets the OP's very detailed wishes.
I don't get excited by the Architect's Louisburg boosting. Other folks poked at him, and I didn't. And I offered an explanation. It really is that simple.

Jeeze. Are you claiming to have met all 170,000 Cary residents? Or do anger, prejudice, and bigotry comprise your favorite tool kit for judging people you have never met?

What IS your problem? Hate is a terrible burden for those who embrace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 04:12 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
My "problem" is that I don't like seeing a poster singled out for being "harmless" in promoting his home town. And if you're a realtor, you might want to educate yourself on the development that's going on in Franklin County.

And I have family members who live in Cary, been there plenty--and always happy to leave.
Then I imagine I’d be teased a bit if, knowing that, I suggested Cary as great choice for you.

The OP knocked the Louisburg idea, and also knocked Cary neighborhoods that aren’t wealthy enough. Kildaire Farm got dragged even though it wasn’t suggested

Old 09-10-2021, 05:05 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Oh yes, they did; read the thread. You don't know Louisburg, so you haven't the remotest idea what you would be missing. I don't recall mentioning Cary, but now that you did: Cary is cookie-cutter BORING. Compared to Boston or Chicago: a big YAWN, filled with pathetic status-seekers.
So you profess to hate generalizing, but do it yourself. Cary is a town of almost 160K but ok. You got us. Louisburg has correctly been pegged as a town of wanna-be hicks with nothing to offer currently but a bunch of McMansions and the OP is right not to consider it. Nothing so amusing as a person waiting for gentrification (and yeah, you can't have it both ways....you say you'll "have to" deal with that, but you know you want it to happen to gain some cred).

Oh, whoops, that's probably offensive to you. See how that works?

I"m a firm believer the towns around this area are all great places to live but one must find their "vibe". The OP is married to Cary because she thinks it matches what she wants. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. That's on HER.

PS I didn't see architect getting singled out. I simply said to him that it wasn't what the OP is looking for. If I missed something, that's on me.

PPS many moons ago you helped me realize my son's acne was caused by dairy. Thanks for that!

Old 09-10-2021, 08:04 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
SF Boomer I know you wished no outside NC stuff but just a short one.

There is roughly 15 square miles where we live where over half the homes will meet your spec.

Here is 89129. North of Alexander over half the homes will fit your needs. And the next zip above it 89149 will fit as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...=en&authuser=0

Our home is about 3,000SF. The property is 0.6 acres. On a community well which is half the cost of municipal water and is actually better water than the municipal. Our Septic System get pumped every 5 or 6 years and is otherwise untouched. We have a good sized pool with an electric cover. A basketball court. Parking sufficient for a couple of RVs and two small grass yards for our pets.

Our cul de sac is very friendly. And the whole area is as well.

At this point I will shut up. Just wanted you to know there are large places that can fully meet your needs.

If the drought out there keeps getting worse what will happen then?

I had fun when I lived in Vegas but I am much happier here now.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:25 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So you profess to hate generalizing, but do it yourself. Cary is a town of almost 160K but ok. You got us. Louisburg has correctly been pegged as a town of wanna-be hicks with nothing to offer currently but a bunch of McMansions and the OP is right not to consider it. Nothing so amusing as a person waiting for gentrification (and yeah, you can't have it both ways....you say you'll "have to" deal with that, but you know you want it to happen to gain some cred).

Oh, whoops, that's probably offensive to you. See how that works?

I"m a firm believer the towns around this area are all great places to live but one must find their "vibe". The OP is married to Cary because she thinks it matches what she wants. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. That's on HER.

PS I didn't see architect getting singled out. I simply said to him that it wasn't what the OP is looking for. If I missed something, that's on me.

PPS many moons ago you helped me realize my son's acne was caused by dairy. Thanks for that!

First, I generalized so the snobs on here could get a taste of their own medicine.

Second, I wasn't responding to the OP. But yes, the OP--like anyone--has the right to choose to live where she prefers, if she can. Just as I could have bought in an area of McMansions--in Cary, Wake Forest, wherever-- but wouldn't even have considered it. Living in New England for most of my adult life, I prefer neighborhoods and areas with a longer history.

Third, I bought a house in Louisburg in a move from BOSTON, but I'm somehow desperate for "cred"?? Not offensive, because beyond hilarious. This isn't the first time I've encountered Wake County snobbery at the mention of Louisburg (or Franklin County, in general), usually along the lines of: "Louisburg? Why did you move to Louisburg?" And I always think, "Oh, the irony." In any case, yes, I would half-heartedly welcome "gentrification" only because it would infuse the local economy and, perhaps, elevate the school system. I would not welcome gentrification because Louisburg is one of the last holdouts of the American small town, populated by many people whose families have lived there for generations and who have a justifiable pride in the history and culture of the area. And there are A LOT of interesting people and stories in Louisburg. So, no, Louisburg is not a town of "wanna-be hicks," but if it makes you feel superior to say so, so be it. Your loss. In fact, I've yet to meet a "wanna-be" in Louisburg. Primarily because most folks there "wanna be" in Louisburg.

On another note: Glad I could help out with the acne/dairy thing.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 PM

18,099 posts, read 15,676,604 times
If this magical unicorn single story luxury house already exists in the narrow confines of stated acceptable and specific subdivisions or zip codes, I'd sure like to see it. Given all the variables and must-haves, a custom build or remodel is likely the only thing that will assuage. Thus, the infinite loop continues.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If the drought out there keeps getting worse what will happen then?

I had fun when I lived in Vegas but I am much happier here now.
Over the last 20 years the aquifer that supports our well has gone up almost 30 feet. In fact we moved our well depth up 30 feet about 12 years ago.. So remember the wells against the western foothills have no problem.

The Colorado River may well have problems. But we are not dependent on that source.

And if things get really ugly our well is drilled almost 150 feet deeper than where we pump.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:36 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Over the last 20 years the aquifer that supports our well has gone up almost 30 feet. In fact we moved our well depth up 30 feet about 12 years ago.. So remember the wells against the western foothills have no problem.

The Colorado River may well have problems. But we are not dependent on that source.

And if things get really ugly our well is drilled almost 150 feet deeper than where we pump.
I guess you have solar power as well? I remember electric being cheap back when I lived there, but with the Hydro being cut and possibly ending, I hope it doesn't get too bad for everyone else.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I guess you have solar power as well? I remember electric being cheap back when I lived there, but with the Hydro being cut and possibly ending, I hope it doesn't get too bad for everyone else.
Electric is just good old NV Energy. Quite cheap. We intend to go solar in two or three years. I have professionally followed the solar art for over 50 years. I see a couple more things that will happen soon that I want. So not yet but soon.

And actually NV does not use its full water allocation from the Colorado. And it also has wells capable of supplying significant water from the underlying aquifers. A major reason our well has gotten higher is that the water company is not pumping nearly as much as it used to.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,180 times
Default How is the search going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Yes, you do have many beautiful neighborhoods, including those which are so pretty one might think they had died and gone to heaven; places where one can walk in one's own neighborhood and feel like they are in a park. That's what we both seek.

Thank you for your good wishes!

Hello, SFBayBoomer,

My husband and I are also thinking of relocating to the Raleigh area from the SF Bay Area.

How is your research going in terms of finding your ideal place vs. building your own home? I believe that many of the posters are correct about renting in the area for a few months to actually see what is available.

Have you looked at the Lochmere community outside of Cary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary