Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 07:14 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,065,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Same here, honestly I don't know how people stick just one store because there's always a few items that one store carries that the others don't, Publix has a particular sausage and HT carries some of the same brand, but it doesn't carry the Jalapeño beef sausage I like.

I don't eat pork and Wegmans is the only store that carries beef bacon
Lidl is the only grocery store where you can go in for groceries and end up buying a lawnmower, a hammock, a skateboard, a couple of shirts and swimming trunks, and some play shoes to run in lol.
Publix is another store I just can't see what people are talking about as far as price, Publix is cheaper than HT and Food Lion on SEVERAL items and has way more bogo deals, and I like Jamaican beef patties and publix brand items are very good and wegmans only has the medium beef patties when I like SPICY, and for some reason I notice some stores don't carry spicy on some items they be having just Mild
Food Lion is less than a mile soooo there's always convenience for those days you gotta make a TP run or something lol also while all have a nectar drink, food lion is the only one that always has the banana strawberry nectar drinks

Aldi like lidl you go in for their Parker Avenue Brisket(which is actually pretty solid on aldi's delicious brioche buns ) and then you see a camping tent for 10 dollars)

Any who this is a long way of saying you gotta shop around.

Damn near spit out my coffee reading this. Well done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 10:01 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,680,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I honestly have cut down significantly on my meat consumption (only 50% of the time) so there's more money to splurge on stuff like The Butcher's Market

But I do most of my grocery shopping at Wegmans/Trader Joe's - The Butcher's Market is just a periodic thing for me when I want something higher quality.
This is us ^^^. Our red meat consumption is seldom as well as pork. Chicken and salmon are more appealing to us and we get those at Costco.

We shopped at Wegmans 40 years ago when we lived in the Northeast. Most people I knew used them as their main (or only) grocery store then and still do. We like their fresh deli sandwiches but yes, the hot prepared foods particularly are somewhat pricey. Not ridiculous though.

In another state, we went to Publix. We don’t have one convenient to us here and therefore don’t go.

Wegmans treats their employees well. I knew several kids who worked there and used their college scholarship program (not sure if that is still in existence).

I never found Whole Foods that appealing and prefer Trader Joe’s. We have found produce is less expensive and just as good.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,207,480 times
Quote:

Aldi like lidl you go in for their Parker Avenue Brisket(which is actually pretty solid on aldi's delicious brioche buns ) and then you see a camping tent for 10 dollars)

Any who this is a long way of saying you gotta shop around.
There's an Aldi that's 2 blocks away from Lidl on the same road in Raleigh. Sometimes I hit that one too if I can't get what I want at Lidl!

Old 08-18-2021, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 4,122 times
For me, the meat seems really expensive. I will stick to the farmers market for fresh. Everything else is on point with other places.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:06 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,805,788 times
The main thing I like at Wegmans is the seedless watermelon and the tilapia. The red meat and chicken I find slightly overpriced and not much better than LIDL or Harris Teeter to justify it. Hell, even Target meat is still very respectable against Wegmans.

Moving to Charlotte, I’m not heartbroken that Wegmans isn’t down there. The one I went to when I used to work in Fairfax, VA was a lifesaver being stuck working out there during the day, especially the hot food options. The Chapel Hill one is just meh, stop there if I’m down in South Durham on other business.

Super excited to have a Publix around the corner there tho. Their fried chicken gives me old Farm Fresh vibes. If you are from the 757, you know that chicken was a staple at every church picnic and family reunion in Hampton Roads.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:33 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
The chicken tender sub with Buffalo sauce is my favorite thing about Publix

Old 08-19-2021, 09:50 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,878,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The chicken tender sub with Buffalo sauce is my favorite thing about Publix
Now think it was you that said you cutting back on red meat but dang if you haven't had wegmans meat ball sub try it out, it's SOLID.
Also I love publix chicken tender sub....but I always tell them to take two tenders off lol, it be literally too much chicken that it can't even fit.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:19 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Lidl is the only grocery store where you can go in for groceries and end up buying a lawnmower, a hammock, a skateboard, a couple of shirts and swimming trunks, and some play shoes to run in lol.
Funny, I once was sent there on an errand and bought a pair of leggings for my wife since (as I do the laundry) i noticed that a couple of hers were getting worn out.

Apparently, she's too bougie for Lidl leggings but not their greek yogurt. That a man can love a woman, he can never truly know her, seems to hold true.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:44 AM

30,343 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Since it opened, we've started doing our weekly shopping at the Chapel Hill Wegmans, except for produce (which we get largely at Weaver Street Market). I had an odd experience the other day at Weaver St. The fellow at the check out said he was seeing me less often, and I said that we're shopping more at Wegmans. Another shopper said, "Wow, I wish I could afford to do that!"

But we did some price comparisons before we switched and for many items, Wegmans costs a lot less. Rice milk, soy milk, carrot juice, organic chicken, eggs. And their fish counter is fabulous.

I looked around the parking lot the other day and Wegmans did seem to have a preponderance of luxury cars (four out of seven in one row were Mercs and another a Lexus).

Do many people see Wegmans as a luxury store?
No. I have compared the prices to HT, FoodLion, Aldis, Publix, and based on what I normally get, Wegman's is, by far, way cheaper for me even when I include the 10 mile drive to get there.

If I bought their fresh goods at the bakery, or bought their other food in the over priced 'food court', then yes, it would be 'luxury' and expensive.

But I have taken the same list to each of the stores I mentioned above, and Wegman's comes out a lot cheaper in the end.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,619,959 times
I switched my regular shopping to Wegmans for the most part - from Harris Teeter - but I think I spent less at Harris Teeter. So little by little I'm going back to HT for staples and Wegmans for the produce, bakery, and specialty items (their store brand of garlic pierogi! So good - and very cheap there). I always use the coupons they send. Still go to Whole Foods (which I think has the best produce) but not as much. Weaver St. isn't convenient for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary