Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM

152 posts, read 622,873 times

Advertisements

A few observations on my recent trip to Raleigh to look for a home.
Firstly what a beautiful state, the scenery is wonderful and the weather was great! Also how nice the people where there , riding around neighbourhoods everyone said hello and could not have been more helpful and friendly.
But, and here is the but I must say I was a bit disappointed in the homes that I saw around the North Raleigh area. We were looking in the 500k to 750k and went round some lovely older neighbourhoods but the homes whilst often lovely on the outside were very dark, old fashioned and most looked like they had never been updated since built inside. We then looked at new builds, supposedly custom homes that seemed very overpriced for the quality of build, upgrades you didnt get and although some homes were on sizeable lots often backed onto busy roads or your neighbour.
Do you think we were looking in the wrong place. We looked mainly at North Raleigh, subdivisions off the 50 upto the 98 in Wake Forest.
We did look at Flowers Plantation and whilst you got much better value for money we felt a bit too far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
What you seek is out there. If you found it in one weekend, you would be like the blind pig finding an acorn...

You have a home in mind. The job now is to find it.
What upgrades did you not see, that you think you should have seen?
I have a builder friend breaking ground on a couple of homes in the middle of your range, in a great subdivision, and you should be able to "drive the bus" a little on features and colors.

A lot of stuff built in the 80's in Raleigh has old-style design with tight passages, without "open" design spaces, not enough windows, dark stained floors, doors, and trim.
They really stand out, and I think are two generations behind unless significant updating has been performed.
I figure a housing design generation at about 10 years. Then expectations change, sometimes dramatically.

Flowers Plantation? You're right...Truly too far out if you want to regularly experience Raleigh's urban areas.

I don't know how one can call one's home a "Custom Build" if the owner is not in the mix from site selection and plan selection. Unfortunately, every builder is a "Custom Builder," at every price point, if you get to choose between two colors of carpet...

Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Although I am from this area, my hubby and I had the same feeling (and I am in real estate!!!) when we were looking for our own house. I remember looking at homes in north raleigh that were in the low 400's and thinking, do these people really understand that their home is on the market. Anyhow, I felt like I was looking at homes that I would have to put a lot of work and money into in order for the house to feel like a home for me.

We ended up looking in and loving wake forest. We looked at a number of resale homes and new neighborhoods and picked a spec house in a new development and haven't looked back. We are about 6 miles from 98 and creedmoor road (98 toward wake forest).

If you get the chance to come back, you should check out the houses in wake forest, you might see some things you really like. PM if you have any more questions.

Leigh

Old 01-01-2007, 06:16 PM

152 posts, read 622,873 times
Thanks for your replies. I guess your right Mike we were in Raleigh for 5 days and it is hard to get to know the area.
We live in a custom home now although bought it as a resale. Kitchens for example seem very basic in these 'custom homes'. Builders seem to think that putting in low grade granite and cheap stainless steel ranges makes a gourmet kitchen. I would expect to find wall ovens in a custom home and a built in fridge freezer. And in some of the homes the master bath could not fit in anyone taller than 4ft! One home we saw did not even have a walk in closet in the master suite and the builder thought it a bargain at $675k
I guess none of the homes we saw had any wow factor which seems a shame to me and normally the place to get the wow would be kitchen or master suite.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
A few observations on my recent trip to Raleigh to look for a home.
Firstly what a beautiful state, the scenery is wonderful and the weather was great! Also how nice the people where there , riding around neighbourhoods everyone said hello and could not have been more helpful and friendly.
But, and here is the but I must say I was a bit disappointed in the homes that I saw around the North Raleigh area. We were looking in the 500k to 750k and went round some lovely older neighbourhoods but the homes whilst often lovely on the outside were very dark, old fashioned and most looked like they had never been updated since built inside. We then looked at new builds, supposedly custom homes that seemed very overpriced for the quality of build, upgrades you didnt get and although some homes were on sizeable lots often backed onto busy roads or your neighbour.
Do you think we were looking in the wrong place. We looked mainly at North Raleigh, subdivisions off the 50 upto the 98 in Wake Forest.
We did look at Flowers Plantation and whilst you got much better value for money we felt a bit too far out.
I agree with most of what you had to say. The custom homes are very overpriced for the quality of the build and design. I actually had a builder tell me that the construction costs were higher in NC. When I pressed him to give me an example he cited labor costs. Guess what? All the framers and drywall laborers that I saw at the construction site were all Hispanics, same as here. Makes you wonder!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:56 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,110 times
You might like these! It is in Durham but super close to everything!

http://www.colvardfarms.com/homes.cfm?cmd=phase&id=4 (broken link)

http://loydbuilders.com/gallery.htm (broken link)

Old 01-01-2007, 07:44 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
nd in some of the homes the master bath could not fit in anyone taller than 4ft! One home we saw did not even have a walk in closet in the master suite and the builder thought it a bargain at $675k
------------------------------------------------------------------------

That seems really odd to me at that price range. Where are you moving here from if you don't mind me asking? I think that at your price range there are some nice homes in N Raleigh. Maybe you just looked in the wrong places?

We have friends who used to live in Moorlands subdivision and their home was beautiful--Wolf Range, built in fridge, etc--and on a very large wooded lot. Maybe that sub is over your price range but I'm not sure. Maybe you need to use a different real estate agent?

Sorry you didn't find much on your trip. :-( I'm glad that you enjoyed Raleigh itself and our friendly people, though. Are you sold on North Raleigh or can you look in other areas of the county?

I'm not in real estate, by the way, so I'm just throwing out ideas. lol

Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Just thought of two subs--Cross Gate and Ethan's Glen. I know that they are on large lots but I don't know much else about them.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
This post is depressing the heck out of me. It is a sad state of affairs when someone in the $600K price range still has to deal with homes that are of inferior construction quality. I have come to expect such things from less expensive homes, but I always assumed that the huge price tag for larger “estate style” homes not only reflected the larger square footage and better appliances, but assumed it meant better building materials and craftsmanship as well. I guess no matter what your price range, we all have to worry about poor construction. Doesn’t anybody take pride in his or her work anymore?

Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I think it depends GREATLY on if you are looking at homes built by custom builders or homes built by "production builders" such as Pulte or Drees, etc.

Living in this area for over 28 years, I can almost tell to the exact year when a home was built.

Back 20 years or so, we were really into building very traditional Williamsburg homes. So, if you buy an older home, it won't have the openness that the new homes have but you will pay less for it. Remember that people that live in their homes for 20 years may not even be aware of the new homes and the changes that have occurred. Most do not want to "update" their homes. The advantage to the buyer is that you get alot of square footage for the money but you must update. Most of the older homes have larger lots, as well.

Speaking of Ethan's Glen, which is one of my absolute favorite neighborhoods, you get an acre AND a custom built new or newer home, which should fit into your price range.

Hope this helps! Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary