Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 12:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if the lease was coming up for renewal. Used to be Neo-China. Was originally a Shoney's, as was the Outback on Creedmoor Rd. I believe the PDQ on Falls of Neuse was built on the site of a former Shoney's.

We've patronized Imperial Garden for 30+ years and still do. But for broader Asian selections in NW Raleigh, the new Kazu Hibachi at Brennan Station is fabulous. Also, Chai's Asian Bistro at Towne North is under new management and has upped its game.
The PDQ site on Falls of Neuse was formerly a Ruby Tuesday's restaurant for many years before they closed. Captain Stanley's Seafood did a major renovation remodel on the existing building but they didn't survive very long before they closed. PDQ razed the old building structure and then built the existing restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 01:51 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
I checked the Wake County real estate records. Shoney's bought the property (6305 Falls of Neuse) in 1984. It had a series of owners beginning in 1992, which was around the time that most of the Shoney's in Raleigh were closing. That's probably when the other restaurants took over. PDQ bought the property in 2012 although it's now owned by an LLC in Charlotte.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I checked the Wake County real estate records. Shoney's bought the property (6305 Falls of Neuse) in 1984. It had a series of owners beginning in 1992, which was around the time that most of the Shoney's in Raleigh were closing. That's probably when the other restaurants took over. PDQ bought the property in 2012 although it's now owned by an LLC in Charlotte.
Yes, I remember when that was a Shoney's. I used to work at the T K Tripps (where the Auto place is now), back in the '80s, & Shoney's was right out our window.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
While no longer one at the top of our of our go-to Chinese list, we went to Imperial Garden recently for the first time in a long time, to see they don't have onsite dining and are take-out only (PF Chang is always packed). The vibe I got from the owner there was of some quiet desperation.

I know that some places are doing well through the pandemic, not sure about there.
Imperial Garden is where I was talking about that I go to every week. They did open up for dine-in for about 3 months in the summer, before closing back due to Delta. I'm really pulling for them and the woman who works the door is SO sweet and always recognizes me by voice even though she doesn't know my name after over a year of almost weekly visits (because I never have reason to give it).

The food may have declined in the past year; I don't know as I'm not very picky and we always get the same 5-6 things. I suspect they are going overboard in being careful, because of the anti-Asian sentiment last year & because, being a small business of non-native English speakers, they may not always have the pulse of what other restaurants are doing as far as opening back. One story about a positive COVID test there would probably ruin them, while a corporate place like PF Chang's can absorb a little bit of press.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:13 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Imperial Garden is where I was talking about that I go to every week. They did open up for dine-in for about 3 months in the summer, before closing back due to Delta. I'm really pulling for them and the woman who works the door is SO sweet and always recognizes me by voice even though she doesn't know my name after over a year of almost weekly visits (because I never have reason to give it).

The food may have declined in the past year; I don't know as I'm not very picky and we always get the same 5-6 things. I suspect they are going overboard in being careful, because of the anti-Asian sentiment last year & because, being a small business of non-native English speakers, they may not always have the pulse of what other restaurants are doing as far as opening back. One story about a positive COVID test there would probably ruin them, while a corporate place like PF Chang's can absorb a little bit of press.
Thanks for sharing this, Francois. I've always liked Imperial Garden - in fact, I think it's one of the nicer sit down Chinese restaurants in the area (excluding the ones with $22 noodle entrees). And we've enjoyed the food. I do wish it were in Brier Creek (I don't drive at night except in that immediate vicinity when necessary.)

I'll make it a point to head over there in the next week or so.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:16 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Agree, she is a nice lady, and I too hope they pull through this. We never went there as often as that even when we were regulars but at some point she knew my name.

Back then we used to cycle between there, Red Dragon, and mostly Beansprout until 2 or 3 visits with inexcusably terrible rice and haven't been back since (Beansprout that is). Imperial is good as they will modify the dishes to taste, like less cornstarch or batter on meat or less heavy sauce. They also made me something off the menu a few times.

Sometimes PFs is just good because it's predictable, but giving thought to this I'd much rather support places like IG.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:18 PM

643 posts, read 351,495 times
That's bad. Me, my wife and her recruiter had a lunch there to celebrate her first job before. It's ten years ago already. After that we've never been there again.
They sell Chinese American food. So maybe it's not authentic enough for Chinese food fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary