Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,307,751 times

Advertisements

You said you're against prepping your kids, but it really seems like you want to prep them....

Do what you think is best for your child. Just remember that when the time for college applications come, well-roundedness is much preferred over academic excellence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,347,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You said you're against prepping your kids, but it really seems like you want to prep them....

Do what you think is best for your child. Just remember that when the time for college applications come, well-roundedness is much preferred over academic excellence.
I am against prepping but I am also against unfairness
every kid should be tested on the same playing field but if they make prep books, that's unfair, and so i wouldn't want my kid to be at a disadvantage going blindly into the test

ideally there should not be prep books at all, kids be tested on their true ability

I wouldn't say well-roundedness is preferred over academics since college applications still look at scores first, and academic scores/ability/foundation starts in elementary school and AIG programs seem to foster that and make it seem important enough that parents want their kids to try their best to get in

Old 12-08-2021, 07:59 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,307,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I am against prepping but I am also against unfairness
every kid should be tested on the same playing field but if they make prep books, that's unfair, and so yes i wouldn't want my kid to be at a disadvantage going blindly into the test

ideally there should not be prep books at all, kids be tested on their true ability

hope that makes sense
I get what you're saying, but I personally just can't imagine worrying about it that much.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:03 PM

22,722 posts, read 36,928,387 times
Foster a love of learning and curiosity. Encourage extra curriculars of interest. Stop micromanaging and worrying about what's "fair". If your kid can't get into AIG without prep, why do you want them to be there? To feed YOUR ego, or because you really think theyr'e gonna miss out if they don't? I have a friend who went to great lengths to do everything possible for her gifted child, while doing nothing to address a whole host of underlying issues. Two HS transfers later I am very anxious to see how this all turns out for the girl. My DD is a senior in HS and the stress these kids put themselves through to get into "wherever" without even thinking about whether said school is a good fit or even offers a major of interest is mind boggling. As she said several weeks ago "A pall has settled over the high school. Carolina applications are due this week". Teachers even change deadlines when applications are due. Craziness. She has two good friends who have never gotten a "B" and aren't even in the top 10% of their class. You want to get your kid into a good college? Move out of Wake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary