Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 12:57 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,880,512 times

Advertisements

It's been a year different from any other, for a number of personal reasons I won't go into. It's left us with nothing really to do, which I was kind of ok with, but come the day am sure we will feel like we're missing out on things.

Is there anything actually open on Christmas Day, there must be others in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 02:38 PM

13,385 posts, read 27,173,643 times
Look for a sports bar playing the Camellia Bowl at 2:30 PM. Or look for a Chinese restaurant which traditionally serves Jewish patrons. Or look for a hotel with a buffet.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:41 PM

19,465 posts, read 27,980,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Look for a sports bar playing the Camellia Bowl at 2:30 PM. Or look for a Chinese restaurant which traditionally serves Jewish patrons. Or look for a hotel with a buffet.

Or go to a movie, then the chinese restaurant.

Frankly, I've preferred staying home under the same circumstances. I'd get a super expensive aged steak and cook it at home. Or lobster, king crab, etc.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:51 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,964,413 times
We’re staying home again this year due to the circumstances. Our daughter won’t be traveling down from Buffalo. So….we’ll be good hanging out with Marshall our dog. We love walking on the beach in winter, and our order is already in for Christmas dinner for two from a local deli

Old 12-12-2021, 03:55 PM

1,703 posts, read 2,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
... Or look for a Chinese restaurant which traditionally serves Jewish patrons. ...
0:48, rated G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooAtySpObLw

Old 12-12-2021, 06:12 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,267,402 times
Contact your local Jewish Community Center and see what if there are any volunteer opportunities?

A nice long walk in the woods if the weather is decent.

A long cooking recipe to take up a lot of the day.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,743,332 times
If I had my way I'd be as far away from family as possible
doing something I want to do. Christmas day is typically a
good day to hit some of the higher risk abandoned places
and that is what I would want to be doing but I can't be so lucky...

Old 12-12-2021, 07:04 PM

740 posts, read 478,543 times
Christmas day is typically a
good day to hit some of the higher risk abandoned places

whaaat ?

OP:

https://www.ocolly.com/lifestyle/10-...e2a89a095.html
Dated, but still applicable.

If it were me, I'd probably be going out to the loblolly trail in umstead for a nice long hike, complete with a packed picnic/wine.

Oh, who am I kidding.... I'd be doing number 2 from the provided link: Watch some hoops at a rundown bar, shoot pool, and cozy up with the barflies... share some some intimate revelations about myself... like the fact that I am actually an alien from another planet, just killing time while waiting to be beamed up to my starship...

Whatever you do or don't do, hope it turns out to be better than you thought it might.

edit: think they are still selling tickets for the nutcracker on the 24th.
https://www.visitraleigh.com/event/c...cracker/79217/

Last edited by herringbone; 12-12-2021 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 08:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,239,898 times
We used to go to movies in the afternoon between opening presents in the AM and Dinner at night. It was always a lot of fun. Not many are there, and it's like have a theater to yourself.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:58 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,350,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Contact your local Jewish Community Center and see what if there are any volunteer opportunities?

A nice long walk in the woods if the weather is decent.

A long cooking recipe to take up a lot of the day.
These all sound good.

Also, in addition to the food recs above:
Chinese restaurants and Jewish families is usually a Christmast Eve thing, more than Christmas day
But, at least in years past, a good Irish Bar usually opens, and that is always fun.
In general, "some" other local bars will open by dinner time. Also fun, if you are into that, it's something to do.

For me, it's usually family time, but when I was going through divorce, it was long bike-rides, or long hikes in the woods during the day. I discovered the Irish Bar thing because I was riding into DT Raleigh, enjoying the empty streets, and Tir Na Nog (RIP) was open with a Xmas buffet. Pleasant surprise, and a fun time for me. (wobbly bike ride home on my first single xmas ).

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary