Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 07:22 AM

873 posts, read 1,018,210 times

Advertisements

Raising Cane's, a popular fast food chain based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, will have its first Triangle location having bought the old Spanky's/Lulas and Starbucks building at the corner of Franklin and Columbia streets in downtown Chapel Hill. Raising Cane's, also known as just has more than 160 locations in 29 states including North Carolina, with operations in Greenville and Camp Lejeune.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...hill-sold.html

Incidentally, the foodie website Thrillist in 2020 ranked Cane's as having the best chicken tenders and the third best dipping sauce among national fast food restaurants.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...77a93806b.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 07:36 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
My kid is pretty excited, being a chicken tender connoisseur and all.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:01 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Seems like a really odd location for that kind of restaurant. The upfront cost must have been insanely high plus they can't have a drive thru and there's limited parking that's mostly pay. I guess they're going to rely mostly on students and games, but that seems destine to fail. My husband and I are already betting on when it'll go out of business. Franklin Street just keeps getting worse and worse.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:19 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Seems like a really odd location for that kind of restaurant. The upfront cost must have been insanely high plus they can't have a drive thru and there's limited parking that's mostly pay. I guess they're going to rely mostly on students and games, but that seems destine to fail. My husband and I are already betting on when it'll go out of business. Franklin Street just keeps getting worse and worse.
We'll see.

I've been saying for years that a walk-up Cookout on Franklin would make a killing.

I've never had Raising Cane's and honestly hadn't even heard of it until relatively recently but it seems to be cut from the same cloth/appeal to the same crowd as cookout, Bojangles, etc.

Franklin St gets a lot of flack for turnover and that being blamed on high rent but if the demand wasn't there; the prices wouldn't be there. I think it gets more attention from said turnover because of how "name brand" it is and how dense it is. There is quite a bit of turnover in most shopping centers throughout the Triangle because the reality is that food service is a business with RAZOR thin margins to begin with no matter the locale. Beaver Creek, Crossroads, Brier Creek, Renaissance Village/SP etc have all seen significant turnover in their storefronts over the years too.

No doubt the challenges of being a college town where the population fluctuates so dramatically throughout the year has an effect on the bottom line too; but I think the "Franklin St is a death-trap for restaurants" stigma is over-stated/exaggerated.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 12-27-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-27-2021, 08:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
We'll see.

I've been saying for years that a walk-up Cookout on Franklin would make a killing.

I've never had Raising Cane's and honestly hadn't even heard of it until relatively recently but it seems to be cut from the same cloth/appeal to the same crowd as cookout, Bojangles, etc.

Franklin St gets a lot of flack for turnover and that being blamed on high rent but if the demand wasn't there; the prices wouldn't be there. I think it gets more attention from said turnover because of how "name brand" it is and how dense it is. There is quite a bit of turnover in most shopping centers throughout the Triangle because the reality is that food service is a business with RAZOR thin margins to begin with no matter the locale. Beaver Creek, Crossroads, Brier Creek, Renaissance Village/SP etc have all seen significant turnover in their storefronts over the years too.

No doubt the challenges of being a college town where the population fluctuates so dramatically throughout the year has an effect on the bottom line too; but I think the "Franklin St is a death-trap for restaurants" stigma is over-states/exaggerated.
I don't think it's necessarily a death trap for restaurants. I just think this one is a bad fit and doesn't stand much of a chance especially if there's ever another location in the Triangle. It doesn't seem like something most people would bother going to that part of Franklin Street for, especially once the novelty wore off. Maybe I just don't know my chicken fingers though. Time will tell.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Not gonna lie, I'm happy for the news. I don't often eat fast food, and/or chicken tenders, but always enjoyed eating Raising Cane's when traveling and wanting to have something quick. I'm not sure what's unique about their breading, but it's always super crunchy and has just the right amount of seasoning to make me happy each time I've eaten there.

And now we can feed some energy into the great chicken tender debate between Zaxby's, PDQ, and now Raising Cane. It'll be like the newest version of the Great Pizza Debate that sweeps through this forum annually.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:05 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Not gonna lie, I'm happy for the news. I don't often eat fast food, and/or chicken tenders, but always enjoyed eating Raising Cane's when traveling and wanting to have something quick. I'm not sure what's unique about their breading, but it's always super crunchy and has just the right amount of seasoning to make me happy each time I've eaten there.

And now we can feed some energy into the great chicken tender debate between Zaxby's, PDQ, and now Raising Cane. It'll be like the newest version of the Great Pizza Debate that sweeps through this forum annually.
Bo's Chicken Supremes: "Am I joke to you?"

Old 12-27-2021, 09:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I’m with ITB_OG. Probably won’t last but I am glad to see something going in there again. And although I doubt I will ever eat there I hope it succeeds. Be happy when the seafood place is on the other corner too. Now we just have to get that third corner leased.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:23 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Doubt this lasts . Putting a good ol chicken place in snotty high priced chapel hill sounds like a bad business plan . Folks in chapel hill only eat sushi and foods you can’t pronounce ! I’ll try it though next time I’m in chapel hill and it’s open .

Old 12-27-2021, 10:43 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Doubt this lasts . Putting a good ol chicken place in snotty high priced chapel hill sounds like a bad business plan . Folks in chapel hill only eat sushi and foods you can’t pronounce ! I’ll try it though next time I’m in chapel hill and it’s open .
Sounds healthier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary