Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 02:29 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Right, the growth rate has not been even across Wake County or the Triangle area. I think it's accurate to say it's been rapid in certain areas though. If not, I must be seeing things.
Funny I missed that assertion in your post. In fact you very specifically said “the area”. Sorry I didn’t understand what you meant. Sure we can always zoom into any specific hyper local area and get some wacky numbers. I mean dang what was cow pasture can turn into 500 houses where there was one farmhouse before. That’s a high percentage! Development moves around in a metro area like this. In the decade before I was born, it was North Hills, when I was a kid, it was all North Raleigh, then moved further north and to Wake Forest and Cary, and so on. But the metro has had relatively consistent growth overall and the last two decades are slower than the previous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 03:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Apparently no one here drives the 15-501 corridor from Chapel Hill to Pittsboro. The level of development is off the charts. When you have a small town like Pittsboro on the edge of the MSA completely losing it's character and becoming Cary-esque sprawl, it's a problem.

Mebane is booming now. Small charming town being suburbanized rapidly and prices going way up.

Some of y'all in Wake don't realize the transformational changes occurring just outside. Raleigh has always been accustomed to growth, but some of this growth is just completely sad. If I had grown up in Pittsboro, I would be devastated to see what it is becoming. Not to mention, the speculation on properties is just ridiculous.

I always liked this area because I said it had the best blend of rural, suburban, and urban locales. That's quickly becoming a thing of the past.
I understand your pain perfectly as someone who has grown up in Zebulon. Admittedly Zebulon isn’t and probably never will go through the transformation pittsboro is going through, but it’s growing . Then nearby Wendell and Rolesville are booming too. What character is there when it’s all the same storage units and generic neighborhoods? I like where I live and I live there for what it is . I keep saying only silver lining is technically growth on a statewide level has been slowing and that’s by RAW numbers . This is an urban forum so you won’t find too many sympathetic to your pleas.

I will say, there are some of us who are content with a simple , not so rich life . Y’all mention the prosperity but that’s mostly for those coming in anyways . I watched my peers graduate high school to work the publix they opened in Wendell serving the newcomers . No local can afford that store . That’s why Carlie Cs does so well in Zebulon. Again, some of us are ok with a porch a rockin chair a pretty sunset and a few extra dollars only in our holey pockets . Not all of us aspire to drive the nicest cars , or live in the largest houses .

Old 01-13-2022, 03:04 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Funny I missed that assertion in your post. In fact you very specifically said “the area”. Sorry I didn’t understand what you meant. Sure we can always zoom into any specific hyper local area and get some wacky numbers. I mean dang what was cow pasture can turn into 500 houses where there was one farmhouse before. That’s a high percentage! Development moves around in a metro area like this. In the decade before I was born, it was North Hills, when I was a kid, it was all North Raleigh, then moved further north and to Wake Forest and Cary, and so on. But the metro has had relatively consistent growth overall and the last two decades are slower than the previous.
Almost all of wake county’s growth I read on here or elsewhere has happened in area of roughly 230 sqmiles that covers Raleigh Cary apex . Vast majority of the county lives in those 230 sq miles . Interestingly enough now that those 3 areas are running out of greenfield land to develop , instead of eastern wake county seeing that high level they saw ( it has picked up granted ) it just shifted further west into Chatham and south in harnett.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,542 times
Quote:
Funny I missed that assertion in your post. In fact you very specifically said “the area”.

Because I was having a normal conversation and thought it went without saying and you clearly missed things in my post and latter posts that would have helped clarify for you. I don't know why you're fixating on this, but it seems like you're being deliberately obtuse and pedantic.

Quote:
Sure we can always zoom into any specific hyper local area and get some wacky numbers. I mean dang what was cow pasture can turn into 500 houses where there was one farmhouse before. That’s a high percentage! Development moves around in a metro area like this. In the decade before I was born, it was North Hills, when I was a kid, it was all North Raleigh, then moved further north and to Wake Forest and Cary, and so on. But the metro has had relatively consistent growth overall and the last two decades are slower than the previous.
I don't know what to tell you if you think I'm just talking about a cow pasture here and there. We clearly don't have the same understanding of reality then, on that you're correct.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:24 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post

Because I was having a normal conversation and thought it went without saying and you clearly missed things in my post and latter posts that would have helped clarify for you. I don't know why you're fixating on this, but it seems like you're being deliberately obtuse and pedantic.

I don't know what to tell you if you think I'm just talking about a cow pasture here and there. We clearly don't have the same understanding of reality then, on that you're correct.
I think it’s pretty obvious that I was taking the point you made and making it ridiculous. You said that the whole area was growing faster in the last several years, multiple people pointed out, with receipts, that you were wrong, then you tried to say that you didn’t mean the whole area but instead specific small pockets of growth.

The posts are all there to see.

The reason why I’m making the point is because your line of thinking just doesn’t work. You can’t “just stop things being built until the infrastructure catches up” because of the laws in the state, property rights and the fact that if you put hard limits on one town, the people moving just go to another nearby town, and still drive through where you are.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 01-14-2022 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I think it’s pretty obvious that I was taking the point you made and making it ridiculous. You said that the whole area was growing faster in the last several years, multiple people pointed out, with receipts, that you were wrong, then you tried to say that you didn’t mean the whole area but instead specific small pockets of growth.

OH FFS! That is false. I never said either one of those things, not the "the whole area" nor "small pockets" much less ever even thought them. You seem to have an axe to grind here maybe from previous conversations here with other people, and it's causing you to make erroneous assumptions and have preconceived notions.

As to your assertion that "multiple people pointed out, with receipts, that I was wrong," it was mostly you and Heel82 the way I saw it, although another poster pointed out, respectfully I might add, growth data from Wake County although I never mentioned Wake County. This was fine by me (notice I didn't challenge or reply to them) since it was accurate and didn't negate anything I was trying to say. As a matter of fact, it lined up with the fact that I said "this area has been growing for many years."

But more to the point, the conversation was about why so many people seem resentful of growth here now which is why I specifically said "the kind of growth we've been experiencing lately." Context is key. There are areas here, be they large sections of Raleigh or formerly rural areas farther afield, that have experienced tremendous growth and change in the past couple of decades as the area expands farther and farther out of the cities and also doubles back filling in areas that got missed the first time. I could point out specific areas, but you don't seem to want to have an actual conversation and the data easily found. The website you linked has some good data actually.

Quote:
The reason why I’m making the point is because your line of thinking just doesn’t work. You can’t “just stop things being built until the infrastructure catches up” because of the laws in the state, property rights and the fact that if you put hard limits on one town, the people moving just go to another nearby town, and still drive through where you are.
And you are way off base as to what I'm thinking, and I never said any such thing. You are the one stating falsehoods. You seem to be mistaking my ability to empathize with people who are upset about growth and change as me having some anti-growth agenda.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:22 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
You two need to meet-up at McDonalds for a senior coffee?

Old 01-14-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
You two need to meet-up at McDonalds for a senior coffee?
If you're calling me old, I'm going to have a problem with you too.

Anyway, sorry for contributing to the side conversation, but I don't backdown from anyone putting words in my mouth or accusing me of lying.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:55 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Incidentally...Triangle MLS might as well rename the "Coming Soon" status to "selling-sight unseen".... translation: "we are definitely trying to get this property sold without having any showings...you're a moron if you expect this property to go active so you can actually tour it LOLz"

Old 01-16-2022, 08:00 PM

405 posts, read 317,456 times
Quote:

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary