Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 12:07 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

I'm a big Duke Health System fan, but prefer getting second opinions from a different system. (I have an unreasonable idea that a Duke doctor will never flat out disagree with a colleague. Id say the same physicians affiliated with UNC, Wake, Mayo Clinic - ANY healthcare system.)

DH had back surgery at Duke about 8 years ago. Very successful - until he fell a couple of months ago. Today's x-rays indicate that at least one metal pin is loose (his symptoms coincide with the x-ray).

We have an appointment next week with the same neurosurgeon. I suspect he will recommend revision surgery. Before DH agrees to that, I want a second opinion.
So I'm looking for recommendations for a spinal Neurosurgeon not affiliated with Duke. Preferably one at UNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 12:13 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I don't happen to know any neurosurgeons (spinal or otherwise), but if you want one at UNC, then search for the website for Department of Neurosugery at UNC and look at their list of physicians. They'll list specialties for each physician, as well as their credentials.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:14 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Dr Robin Koeleveld at Rex

https://findadoc.unchealthcare.org/n....google.com%2F

Old 01-07-2022, 06:13 PM

308 posts, read 297,818 times
Does anyone know why the reviews on the site read like they're bot-generated? Is that just dumb 3rd party software? I am going in for something in a month and noticed it about other doctors as well. Honestly, it looks really bad, but I've learned not to rely on Yelp reviews for health-related things.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:14 PM

405 posts, read 317,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm a big Duke Health System fan, but prefer getting second opinions from a different system. (I have an unreasonable idea that a Duke doctor will never flat out disagree with a colleague. Id say the same physicians affiliated with UNC, Wake, Mayo Clinic - ANY healthcare system.)

DH had back surgery at Duke about 8 years ago. Very successful - until he fell a couple of months ago. Today's x-rays indicate that at least one metal pin is loose (his symptoms coincide with the x-ray).

We have an appointment next week with the same neurosurgeon. I suspect he will recommend revision surgery. Before DH agrees to that, I want a second opinion.
So I'm looking for recommendations for a spinal Neurosurgeon not affiliated with Duke. Preferably one at UNC.
So the fall made the surgery unsuccessful ? Or did the loose pin make him fall ? Methinks that this makes no sense, and doctors, like lawyers, are loathe to kick up a ruckus amongst their brethern.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
So the fall made the surgery unsuccessful ? Or did the loose pin make him fall ? Methinks that this makes no sense, and doctors, like lawyers, are loathe to kick up a ruckus amongst their brethern.
Geez, paranoid much?

• Surgery 'cured problem for 8+ years.
  • At a poker game in a friends home, a raggedy folding chair broke beneath him, landing his as$ on the cement floor.
  • In the 3-4 months, one of his pre-surgical back problems has returned to a small degree.
  • I requested x-rays PRIOR to his visit to the original surgeon. Radiologist reports specifically state that a pin is loose in the EXACT vertebrae associated with his symptoms.

And, just to clear the air, we've had quite a few 2nd opinions that differed from the 1st. I've had the uncomfortable experience of having a physician admit to my face he made a mistake.

Ultimately, physicians are human. They make mistakes. So does God.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-08-2022 at 08:51 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 09:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Ouch.

Just looked up my mom's and he is associated with Duke Raleigh - sorry!

Old 01-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ouch.

Just looked up my mom's and he is associated with Duke Raleigh - sorry!
Thank you for checking - much appreciated.

Here's another "ouch": The home and chair involved is owned by a lawyer. No, we're not going to sue. Accidents happen - with friends, neighbors AND physicians.

There is a difference between accidents and negligence. Personally, I think they don't teach that in law school.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:07 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Is UNC (and Wake Med, etc) covered as In-Network under your insurance? It seems most plans cover Duke or UNC/Rex, but not both.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:22 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is UNC (and Wake Med, etc) covered as In-Network under your insurance? It seems most plans cover Duke or UNC/Rex, but not both.

If retired, on Medicare-- Plan G covers both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary