Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:09 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,993,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
I take the train from Cary to Charlotte on a regular basis, and it's a breeze. It takes 3 hours to drive from downtown Cary to downtown Charlotte. It takes the same three hours to ride the train.
They must have improved things. The one trip I took from Cary to Charlotte took 4.5 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 12:26 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
They must have improved things. The one trip I took from Cary to Charlotte took 4.5 hours.
3 hours has been the norm since at least 2014 when I first rode it, at least in terms of scheduled length. Obviously if there’s delays it can take longer, just like with any travel

Old 01-08-2022, 12:41 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,281,824 times
7 hours scheduled from Cary to DC Union Station, where there is Metro connection. I may never drive to DC again after doing that a couple of times.
Yeah, the cars are iffy, but tons of legroom, no 300 person security line at TSA or arriving 2 hours early for that line.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:07 PM

4,275 posts, read 4,730,748 times
Most Amtrak routes in the south and east aren't particularly scenic, but there are exceptions if you know where and when to look for them. Example: the Crescent southbound between Greenville and Atlanta crosses Wells Viaduct, 1400 ft long and 200 ft high at the highest point. It's a spectacular sight particularly in the fall. (The northbound Crescent crosses it too, but late at night.) Trains from NYC northward to Albany provide nice views of the Hudson Valley if you sit on the correct side of the car. You can research these things before riding.

Going west, once you get near the Rocky Mountains things get much more interesting visually.

If I drive to Rocky Mount and catch the train there, it's about 6 hrs to DC Union Station. In the middle of the night, it can be driven in 4 hrs. But who drives in the middle of the night? The engineering has been done for train travel between Raleigh and DC to get to 4 hrs flat.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:33 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,555,815 times
I take Amtrak from Washington (or Alexandria) to Cary several times a year; it's my preferred way to go.

Sure, it's not very reliable -- but neither are flying nor (especially!) driving. As we saw this week,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
driving on I-95 between Richmond and DC ... a stretch I not-so-lovingly refer to as "Dante's Parking Lot"
That particular stretch seizes up all the time for no reason at all, and when there is a reason for traffic to stop... it stays stuck, for days. Oh, and the stretch from Raleigh to RVA is simply boooooring.

The Amtrak stations are right downtown, and I can bike to WAS & walk from CYN with no need to arrange a ride. The timing is fine, although I'm definitely looking forward to more frequent service in the years ahead. (Yes, this has been planned for decades, but at last the legal and funding barriers seem to be clear.)

There are a few scenic moments along the way, like some wetlands near the NC-VA border, a stretch along the Potomac shore, the James River bridge, and some towns like Ashland and Rocky Mount and Wilson, but like most train lines in the US most of the view is of farms and industrial areas.

Flights are shorter, much more frequent, and sometimes even cheaper, but honestly just maddening. It's a 43-minute flight, but the whole process of getting to, then through, the airport involves madly rushing to something else every 20-40 minutes... which adds up to half a day of stressing out, just to cross one (1) state. And yes, I've been on hundreds of flights, I have PreCheck and club access and all that jazz, but it's a fixed amount of hassle for a limited return.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,815,772 times
I took the train from Cary to Orlando two years ago. As someone upthread said, it's a night train, so super easy. Just went to sleep right in our seats. Parked car for free in Cary. Woke up in Florida. I might do it again next month (my daughter goes to college in Orlando) if Covid is better. However, I do not fly! I haven't flown since 2006. So for me, the train is a nicer option than having to drive 9 hours each way. However, my family would compare the train to flying and would prefer flying. Although even my daughter admitted that that particular train ride was very easy.

Having said that, as a non-flyer I have taken many train rides over the years including a cross country one from San Diego to DC, DC to Chicago, DC to Mississippi, and DC to Florida many times including the auto train several times. If there are delays, it can be maddening, especially if you are used to flying. And I've had some that were hours long. You really have to embrace the train ride as part of the trip and not keep saying, "We could have been there in two hours if we flew." The legroom is great, however.

Last edited by michgc; 01-08-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-08-2022, 05:21 PM

11,233 posts, read 8,328,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
3 hours has been the norm since at least 2014 when I first rode it, at least in terms of scheduled length. Obviously if there’s delays it can take longer, just like with any travel
Same experience for me.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:26 PM

58 posts, read 31,434 times
Cary/Raleigh to Charlotte will look a lot more tempting if Charlotte can get its act together on the downtown Gateway station.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:43 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,830,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdSaint View Post
Cary/Raleigh to Charlotte will look a lot more tempting if Charlotte can get its act together on the downtown Gateway station.
Current estimates are for Gateway Station to open in early 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary