Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 10:24 AM

428 posts, read 224,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sutton ran unopposed in 2020. But yes, that district is most likely majority blue.

You're making the assumption that some random person that spoke at the board meeting did so because she wants a republican in office. That very well may be true. That doesn't mean that a candidates legitimacy and honesty shouldn't be questioned when there's been inconsistencies, and that others don't have the right to do so.

By the way there has still been no statement or confirmation from the board or WCPSS as far as I know. He was chosen a week ago.
There is nothing random about the organized effort occurring across the country to amp up grassroots parental organizing using disinformation and scare tactics to swarm school board meetings, inundate districts with time-consuming public records requests, share strategies of disruption, publicity and mobilization, etc. All to prop up a political party at the expense of our children.

Having said that, if the board dropped the ball on this and tossed them such a softball, that’s on the board. Hopefully this ends up being much ado about nothing and gets resolved quickly.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:28 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
There is nothing random about the organized effort occurring across the country to amp up grassroots parental organizing using disinformation and scare tactics to swarm school board meetings, inundate districts with time-consuming public records requests, share strategies of disruption, publicity and mobilization, etc. All to prop up a political party at the expense of our children.

Having said that, if the board dropped the ball on this and tossed them such a softball, that’s on the board. Hopefully this ends up being much ado about nothing and gets resolved quickly.
Those are all opinions, but my point was everyone keeps bringing up "Becky" as if she's single-handedly running this scrutiny of Artis. There are many many others out there who would also like to see that the new candidate is vetted as they are supposed to be, and there would be many many others out there doing the same if it was a republican candidate.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,730 times
Quote:
Those are all opinions, but my point was everyone keeps bringing up "Becky" as if she's single-handedly running this scrutiny of Artis. There are many many others out there who would also like to see that the new candidate is vetted as they are supposed to be, and there would be many many others out there doing the same if it was a republican candidate.
Do you include the interview process all candidates went through as part of this process in your term "vetted" above?

Old 01-21-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Do you include the interview process all candidates went through as part of this process in your term "vetted" above?
Vetted by the board? Yes. By the public? No, because that's how it works in this situation.

But the public has every right to know that the candidate lives in the district he represents, as it's a legal requirement.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Vetted by the board? Yes. By the public? No, because that's how it works in this situation.
I assume you mean NOT how it works in this situation?

The public doesn't get a say in the vetting of inter term vacancies. They "gave" that power to the board.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I assume you mean NOT how it works in this situation?

The public doesn't get a say in the vetting of inter term vacancies. They "gave" that power to the board.
That's what I said.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That's what I said.
Oh ok. I was just having a tough time with the grammar because it read like you were juxtaposing it as "right" vs "wrong" thing.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:29 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Becky Lew is just the person that spoke up about it at the board meeting. If you're running for public office (especially one that has as much attention as school board does these days), you can be sure that some citizens will confirm that you are legit, capable, and honest. This is not an elected official, this is someone who was assigned by the current board, so I would think extra scrutiny would be expected. Whether he lives in the district or not, it was an incredibly shortsighted move by Artis to not have proof of residence taken care of prior to applying. There was plenty of time.
I disagree. The guy didn't update his drivers license. So what? Presumably he had a lease.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I disagree. The guy didn't update his drivers license. So what? Presumably he had a lease.
I read that he did not submit a lease.

He did not update:

- His driver's license
- His voter registration
- His business registration

His wife's voter registration was also not updated.

Is there anything in there that would make you believe he moved prior to being selected?

Lets assume that at the time of application he did not live in D4. Then the question would be, are you allowed to APPLY for a board position if you do not currently live in the district? IE, is it ok to move after you have been chosen? I don't know the answer to that.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I read that he did not submit a lease.

He did not update:

- His driver's license
- His voter registration
- His business registration

His wife's voter registration was also not updated.

Is there anything in there that would make you believe he moved prior to being selected?

Lets assume that at the time of application he did not live in D4. Then the question would be, are you allowed to APPLY for a board position if you do not currently live in the district? IE, is it ok to move after you have been chosen? I don't know the answer to that.
And from what I could find on the Board Manual, it doesn't mention much other than you have to be a resident of the district you are attempting to serve (wording isn't a direct quote)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary