Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 09:54 AM

61 posts, read 50,277 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

My husband and I have been looking for a home for our daughters and us in Heritage. We live locally, close by. I drive and walk to the pond a lot. I started doing that after my oldest past away, and find it very good for my soul. We are open to other areas of Heritage as well.

For those who live there, would it be beneficial for a seller to write a letter and place in your mailbox or mail it? We do have a great realtor, and she is as frustrated as we are with the lack of inventory. However, she will not participate in any letters.

We sold a house awhile back, and the buyer mailed us a beautiful letter. They gave us a firm offer, strong, and were willing to accommodate our time frame, etc. We are in a position to do that for a seller, but do not know how to go about letting sellers know this. Such as, we can wait until sellers find a house, we can move this month or that, we can close and allow a rent back for seller. Our sale went relatively smoothly and the new owners invited us over to see their home after they moved in, and keep in touch with me every now and then. Very good experience and I think probably rare? Or is it?

We are hoping some homes will become available in Spring. But it still leaves us wondering how we would let perspective sellers know this information?

Advice, suggestions, welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 12:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,195,997 times
I think those letters are generally discouraged by realtors because they violate the fair housing laws. I've read that letters can be compelling when you're submitting a competitive offer, but you've complained numerous times about being outbid by $50K. No letter is going to compensate for $50K more.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:40 PM

22,742 posts, read 37,003,621 times
Realtors can't participate in the letters thing. As to whether it will sway a seller if you send on your own, only the individual seller would know for sure. Not gonna lie it wouldn't sway me. As noted if you are that far off the going price, no letter is going to compensate for that.

Your better bet is to - while walking around the neighborhood - get friendly with other people walking. See the same people? Say hello, strike up a convo if they aren't running, power walking, talking on the phone. "I see you every day...I'm looking to move into this neighborhood....know anyone who might be selling?"

Do you or your spouse work? Put out feelers. Go to church? Put out feelers. My friend sold her house in our neighborhood to someone she went to church with who mentioned wanting to live in our neighborhoodd....friend was thinking of moving....easy deal for both of them. Are you on Nextdoor? I see posts all the time "if you know anyone selling in such and such neighborhood, we want to live there". And so on.

But again the bottom line is - you need to be able to pay what the neighborhood is bearing. Period. The chances of finding someone willing to leave $50K on the table are somewhere between slim and none.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:59 PM

43,514 posts, read 77,535,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I think those letters are generally discouraged by realtors because they violate the fair housing laws. I've read that letters can be compelling when you're submitting a competitive offer, but you've complained numerous times about being outbid by $50K. No letter is going to compensate for $50K more.

Letters do not create Fair Housing issues. Behaviors and responses to letters have the potential to create Fair Housing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Realtors can't participate in the letters thing. As to whether it will sway a seller if you send on your own, only the individual seller would know for sure. Not gonna lie it wouldn't sway me. As noted if you are that far off the going price, no letter is going to compensate for that.

Your better bet is to - while walking around the neighborhood - get friendly with other people walking. See the same people? Say hello, strike up a convo if they aren't running, power walking, talking on the phone. "I see you every day...I'm looking to move into this neighborhood....know anyone who might be selling?"

Do you or your spouse work? Put out feelers. Go to church? Put out feelers. My friend sold her house in our neighborhood to someone she went to church with who mentioned wanting to live in our neighborhoodd....friend was thinking of moving....easy deal for both of them. Are you on Nextdoor? I see posts all the time "if you know anyone selling in such and such neighborhood, we want to live there". And so on.

But again the bottom line is - you need to be able to pay what the neighborhood is bearing. Period. The chances of finding someone willing to leave $50K on the table are somewhere between slim and none.

There is no regulation prohibiting licensees in NC from participating in letters to homeowners, or to sellers.
Content, behavior, responses, and client guidance can get the agent in trouble, but participating in smart letters should not.
I have done EDDM mail route post cards trying to find inventory for a couple of buyers. No issues or concerns.
The goal the OP is seeking is to get on the dance floor, not just to get a cheap deal from a naive seller. Too many buyers are not even getting on the dance floor in our "SOLD IN 0 DAYS, Sight Unseen during Coming Soon" environment.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:33 PM

4,268 posts, read 11,459,769 times
I think Twingles gave you some excellent advice. Word of mouth can work to your advantage. A couple of months ago, I let my neighbors know that we had friends in Raleigh who were looking to move to our neighborhood here in Southport. In August, neighbors on my street called to let me know that they were moving. I called my friends, told them about the house and, with the owners permission, went over to take some pics inside and out. Our friends were very interested, drove down 2 days later and decided to purchase. My only role was an introduction. Our friends will be moving down next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary