Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 12:55 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Gibbons might be half as much (there are discounts for Catholics, so $ may vary), but don’t forget the amount of ‘donations’ many parents make to the school. Add them together and it may be costing them out of pocket as much or more than CA or DA. No idea how ‘encouraged’ they are and impact on acceptance.
We were never asked for any money in 4 years at Gibbons except at Christmas where they ask for donations to give a bonus to the staff. Other than that - yearbook, athletic fees, "senior fees" - nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 03:40 PM

426 posts, read 223,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We were never asked for any money in 4 years at Gibbons except at Christmas where they ask for donations to give a bonus to the staff. Other than that - yearbook, athletic fees, "senior fees" - nothing.
I may be confusing the HS with one of the feeder church/middle schools, now that I think about it. As far as CG, it is (imo) the most well-rounded of the higher end private schools in the area in terms of balancing academics/sports/activities.

Old 02-13-2022, 04:57 PM

129 posts, read 115,910 times
My kids went through a K-8 catholic school, we were never asked for money beyond tithing for the Catholic rate and optional anonymous contribution to staff Christmas fund. We were enrolled at Gibbons before a last minute change to a charter my son wanted and I know they operate the same as far as not requiring donations. There are plenty of generous families out there though that do so by choice.

Back to the question, I have no specific knowledge about Ravenscroft, but I can tell you that our former K-8 is busting at the seams with kids that left wcpss. I suspect all privates are in the same position due to Covid and continued growth.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:59 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
I may be confusing the HS with one of the feeder church/middle schools, now that I think about it. As far as CG, it is (imo) the most well-rounded of the higher end private schools in the area in terms of balancing academics/sports/activities.
Yes the grammar schools require “time,talent,treasure”.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:24 PM

528 posts, read 934,903 times
For private, I always watch the college acceptances. I notice much of the Thales are for institutions which have an 75-80%ish acceptance rate (lots of ECU, Alabama, UNC Charlotte). I think a school like Ravenscroft is well worth the additional tuition.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:57 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
For private, I always watch the college acceptances. I notice much of the Thales are for institutions which have an 75-80%ish acceptance rate (lots of ECU, Alabama, UNC Charlotte). I think a school like Ravenscroft is well worth the additional tuition.
I don't know how to determine which colleges a student is accepted to, vs. the one they choose to attend. Schools, where a larger percentage of parents can afford more expensive schools, will likely have a large percentage of students who attend such schools. It doesn't mean the children are smarter or received a better education, or the opposite, just that the parents can afford the costs associated with some of the more expensive schools.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:58 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And your children will likely be better for it in the end. The pandemic was going to be a life-altering event for children everywhere, dropping them into a brand new school environment so us parents can either be relieved of the burden of home schooling or to pursue the false notion that distance learning was going to cause irreparable harm in their development was just lazy thinking.

Children are incredibly resilient, particularly when raised in a loving, stable environment. This was always going to be a two year event (if anyone actually was paying attention to pandemic experts, they said that way back in April 2020) and if everyone actually just accepted that and acted accordingly, their kids would've benefited quite a bit. By Christmas 2022 life will largely be back to some version of normal and for those who stayed the course and didn't subject their children to anything crazy, they'll resume growing up as planned.

So my kids don't need school if I am a good parent providing a stable home environment? Makes perfect sense. If my family walked away from their jobs during the pandemic people wouldn't be able to visit this site, buy food from the big box stores and a whole host of other things, but you are resilient, you can start a garden and use sea shells to pay for your grub hub. I hope you are proud and I am glad you have your safe space to spout your nonsense. My kids are better off thats why I got a letter about how scores are lower because of the pandemic and months of poorly executed remote shcooling.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:29 PM

405 posts, read 317,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
So my kids don't need school if I am a good parent providing a stable home environment? Makes perfect sense. If my family walked away from their jobs during the pandemic people wouldn't be able to visit this site, buy food from the big box stores and a whole host of other things, but you are resilient, you can start a garden and use sea shells to pay for your grub hub. I hope you are proud and I am glad you have your safe space to spout your nonsense. My kids are better off thats why I got a letter about how scores are lower because of the pandemic and months of poorly executed remote shcooling.

Schooling. Nuff said. Crawl back in your hole.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:28 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And your children will likely be better for it in the end. The pandemic was going to be a life-altering event for children everywhere, dropping them into a brand new school environment so us parents can either be relieved of the burden of home schooling or to pursue the false notion that distance learning was going to cause irreparable harm in their development was just lazy thinking.

Children are incredibly resilient, particularly when raised in a loving, stable environment. This was always going to be a two year event (if anyone actually was paying attention to pandemic experts, they said that way back in April 2020) and if everyone actually just accepted that and acted accordingly, their kids would've benefited quite a bit. By Christmas 2022 life will largely be back to some version of normal and for those who stayed the course and didn't subject their children to anything crazy, they'll resume growing up as planned.
How are they going to be better for it? If they're so resilient than what's the harm of a brand new school environment? I'm not criticizing WCPSS for their handling of it, because seemingly everyone was put in the position of picking between varieties of bad, but I can't find fault with anyone that sought out alternative arrangements for their kids.

My wife works with a lot of students that might not be irreparably harmed, but are way behind in big ways. Not really in a reading-level, arithmetic sense (though there is that), but in terms of their social and emotional development.

Calling a parent lazy for not taking the burden of home schooling is misinformed and mean. I find it distracting enough to work from home when my wife is around, let alone if she were here trying to teach a couple kids. My colleagues that have worked from home since long before the pandemic all sent their young kids to daycare for that reason if their partner also worked.

And that says nothing of parents that were expected to be at work all the way through the pandemic. Not just Nurses and first responders, but landscapers and roofers and grocers delivery drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary