Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 01:47 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docZel2010 View Post
Just wanted to quickly check, is there anybody who moved from Boston or CT to North Carolina (Triangle area) but now regret doing it? If so what are your major reasons
There have been people that do regret it on here before. It seems to me that they don't realize "wherever you go, there you are;" thinking a new location will solve all of their problems, or failing to consider a move holistically, and not realizing that trading one set of challenges can often bring another. IE, they miss that with a milder winter our summer is hotter/longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 02:41 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
I'm originally from CT, but nope, not for a second.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:00 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
you will certainly miss stuff, you might regret stuff as well. But it's to be personal reason now geographic.

Old 03-03-2022, 05:00 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When I was very young in SW PA, my neighbors dug a hole and cooked a pig by covering it up. Might have been a New Zealand thing. I’m not sure but we did have a NZ neighbor.
Also very common traditionally in the Hawaiian Islands and Polynesia.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:28 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
No regrets moving here but that doesn't mean others will (or have) feel the same.

Hell, the people we bought our house from were going to move back to the northeast. 11 years later, they still live a couple streets away from me. And the man is still b*tching about it.

As someone said "wherever you are, there you are" - this gentleman tried several other locations before landing here, didn't like them, left NY because he didn't like it....you get the picture.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:56 PM

21 posts, read 28,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
These previous comments aren’t helpful. Just imagine an extra word in the title.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 28,787 times
Quote:
Does the OP regret moving here, or do they plan to move here?
I'm planing to move. Still doing my ground work.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Well, one thing you have learned already is the northeast ≠ “the east coast”. It’s just one small part of it. I’m not sure why people up there seem to think that they can claim the whole “east coast”. It’s ridiculous if you stop to think about it.

But that does point to a larger issue that often influences how well transplants settle here. If they come in with the attitude that everything, including the pizza, bagels, Mexican food, Italian food, schools, summers (or even winters) was better back home (whether that’s CT or NY or CA or TX or wherever) then they tend to be unhappy. And people in NC tend to be less sympathetic, especially when people start in on how we should do it the way they do it wherever they are from. Things will be different here. Embrace it and you should do fine. We’re mostly friendly here and there are tons of other transplants too.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:32 AM

43,273 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, one thing you have learned already is the northeast ≠ “the east coast”. It’s just one small part of it. I’m not sure why people up there seem to think that they can claim the whole “east coast”. It’s ridiculous if you stop to think about it.

But that does point to a larger issue that often influences how well transplants settle here. If they come in with the attitude that everything, including the pizza, bagels, Mexican food, Italian food, schools, summers (or even winters) was better back home (whether that’s CT or NY or CA or TX or wherever) then they tend to be unhappy. And people in NC tend to be less sympathetic, especially when people start in on how we should do it the way they do it wherever they are from. Things will be different here. Embrace it and you should do fine. We’re mostly friendly here and there are tons of other transplants too.

It took me a couple of months to absorb the fact that local natives have been hearing for 50+ years how things are done up North, and I had little to add to that sort of discussion.

But, I quickly learned NEVER to mention Jimmy Spencer to NASCAR fans....

Old 03-04-2022, 08:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Tried to rep you Mike, but I gotta spread it around.

I got no idea who Jimmy Spencer is, though? So no worries there. Not a NASCAR fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary