Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 04:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's the real question...do the things that make the area appealing, make it appealing to you?

Living in Manhattan is appealing to some people but isn't appealing to me.
Totally agree. Visiting Manhattan for a weekend is super appealing to most, but living in Manhattan full time is not appealing at all. It mostly boils down to a person's interests, lifestyle, and bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 05:40 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I guess everybody now in NC has a hare up their a**?
It isn't rabbit season.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:17 AM

174 posts, read 194,430 times
We lived in Westchester, Fairfield and New Haven counties for 50+ years, and will only go back for close family funerals.

We have been in Durham 7 years. EVERYTHING here is better.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:18 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I guess everybody now in NC has a hare up their a**?
Don't make fun of us country bumpkins and our rabbits...
https://www.ourstate.com/north-carol...county-rabbit/

Old 03-10-2022, 07:20 AM

48 posts, read 39,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Take it from someone who knows.....rent and get to know the area before you buy.
Good point...but right now finding a decent rental (at an affordable price) may be difficult.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:20 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru View Post
Good point...but right now finding a decent rental (at an affordable price) may be difficult.
Yea, like the $14,000/month units at the Eastern in North Hills.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:44 AM

789 posts, read 368,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
It isn't rabbit season.
Must be Duck Season
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody regret moving from East coast to North Carolina? Why?-rabbit-season-duck-season-2-.jpg  

Old 03-11-2022, 12:34 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Yea, like the $14,000/month units at the Eastern in North Hills.
I saw those...am I missing something?
I can't imagine a market for that.
Even assuming that they'd prefer not owning a SFH, you can own that same luxurious square footage for 1/2 the rent, be it in a condo or a townhouse...not to mention rent it for a lot less...And the location stinks if you're going to live in a high rise. North Hills is nice and all but it's not like living in downtown Raleigh.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 AM

703 posts, read 780,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docZel2010 View Post
Just wanted to quickly check, is there anybody who moved from Boston or CT to North Carolina (Triangle area) but now regret doing it? If so what are your major reasons
OP, I'll first apologize for a lot of the useless noise in the responses.

Although I did not move from the NorthEast coast to here, I did move from Western Pa to here 8 years ago. I'm linking to a post I made about a year after coming here. It might help you a bit.

Nearly one year as a Wake County resident... here are some observations.

One major point that I forgot in my original post, but added later in that thread is: LOWER TAXES. And probably less graft and corruption as well. All the local government entities and administrations of most northern cities do make for a significantly larger cost that gets passed on to the residents. And in the end, they're less efficient, and certainly less coordinated in their standards and practices.

And to the useless "regulars" (excepting Mike) who 1) hadn't moved here from anywhere else, so really have nothing to add anyway. and 2) contributed nothing to this thread, except to provide some snarky teaching of geography, this whole thread is a reminder of why I've largely stopped coming to this forum. I realize it's a discussion board, but geez, the snark and the uselessness of some responses is beyond ridiculous - especially for potential transplants who are looking for meaningful feedback.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:30 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
OP, I'll first apologize for a lot of the useless noise in the responses.

Although I did not move from the NorthEast coast to here, I did move from Western Pa to here 8 years ago. I'm linking to a post I made about a year after coming here. It might help you a bit.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/ral...-resident.html

One major point that I forgot in my original post, but added later in that thread is: LOWER TAXES. And probably less graft and corruption as well. All the local government entities and administrations of most northern cities do make for a significantly larger cost that gets passed on to the residents. And in the end, they're less efficient, and certainly less coordinated in their standards and practices.

And to the useless "regulars" (excepting Mike) who 1) hadn't moved here from anywhere else, so really have nothing to add anyway. and 2) contributed nothing to this thread, except to provide some snarky teaching of geography, this whole thread is a reminder of why I've largely stopped coming to this forum. I realize it's a discussion board, but geez, the snark and the uselessness of some responses is beyond ridiculous - especially for potential transplants who are looking for meaningful feedback.
A thread this long will have some off topic posts. And you may not appreciate everyone's sense of humor. You can always alert a moderator if you think something should be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary