Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 11:09 AM

43,434 posts, read 77,392,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
A thread this long will have some off topic posts. And you may not appreciate everyone's sense of humor. You can always alert a moderator if you think something should be deleted.

Off topic is hardly as much of an issue as are several posters who are routinely gratuitously rude to newbies, as if they are recklessly busting into a private club.
Have you noticed the lack of growth in the forum over the last couple of years? People are made to feel unwelcome.

How many posters here need moderation just to act like adults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 11:23 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,088,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Off topic is hardly as much of an issue as are several posters who are routinely gratuitously rude to newbies, as if they are recklessly busting into a private club.
Have you noticed the lack of growth in the forum over the last couple of years? People are made to feel unwelcome.

How many posters here need moderation just to act like adults?
Well, if people are rude, there are a few options. 1) Ignore it, 2) Use the ignore list feature, 3) Report to moderator. If there are people who are routinely rude, then I think that would cover it. Maybe people are afraid to "tattle" on somebody else?

Old 03-17-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Well, if people are rude, there are a few options. 1) Ignore it, 2) Use the ignore list feature, 3) Report to moderator. If there are people who are routinely rude, then I think that would cover it. Maybe people are afraid to "tattle" on somebody else?
That is a silly response, of course.
When a newbie drops in and drops out because of immature people who justify their rudeness with, "Go tattle on me," how does that grow membership in the forum?

Old 03-17-2022, 11:36 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,088,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is a silly response, of course.
When a newbie drops in and drops out because of immature people who justify their rudeness with, "Go tattle on me," how does that grow membership in the forum?
You complain about immature people and label my suggestion "A silly response." Well it's unfortunate you have that attitude because I was trying suggest a possible solution.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You complain about immature people and label my suggestion "A silly response." Well it's unfortunate you have that attitude because I was trying suggest a possible solution.
Well... Let me back up and say that you were not rude to the OP.
Thanks for that.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:43 AM

703 posts, read 782,880 times
Quote:
A thread this long will have some off topic posts. And you may not appreciate everyone's sense of humor. You can always alert a moderator if you think something should be deleted.
C'mon, the thread didn't just meander over time... There was only one response that even came remotely close to semi-answering the OP's question on the first page alone!

I really would rather people just think before they hit send, rather than try to have a mod step in. I doubt anyone is violating any rules in most cases (except folks like Buxton / Stede / Owen, or whatever his current moniker is) ... It's just annoying and non productive for some posters to feel the need to weigh in on every. single. post. , regardless how mindless or meaningless their response might be. It's tantamount to one just wanting to hear oneself talk.

The fact that the OP asked for responders from basically NE, and despite all the Fidelity folks who relocated to this area from Boston in the last 10 years alone, there wasn't one response from any of those folks that I can tell. As Mike J has noted, the site is losing participants. Much longer, it will end up being a circle-jerk of the same 8-10 regulars.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
C'mon, the thread didn't just meander over time... There was only one response that even came remotely close to semi-answering the OP's question on the first page alone!

I really would rather people just think before they hit send, rather than try to have a mod step in. I doubt anyone is violating any rules in most cases (except folks like Buxton / Stede / Owen, or whatever his current moniker is) ... It's just annoying and non productive for some posters to feel the need to weigh in on every. single. post. , regardless how mindless or meaningless their response might be. It's tantamount to one just wanting to hear oneself talk.

The fact that the OP asked for responders from basically NE, and despite all the Fidelity folks who relocated to this area from Boston in the last 10 years alone, there wasn't one response from any of those folks that I can tell. As Mike J has noted, the site is losing participants. Much longer, it will end up being a circle-jerk of the same 8-10 regulars.
One advantage of the "40 Post Page" CD settings allow is that we can see a few more helpful responses.

But, the OP hasn't been back in 2 weeks, unfortunately.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,392,144 times
This site is losing participants because it is fairly stagnant technology and people have moved on. City-Data hasn't changed much at all in the past 10-15 years. People are over on Reddit and other places now. City-Data is for old farts like me. There are 110 comments on a thread on the Cary car thief shooting in r/Raleigh on Reddit vs 40 here. I'm sure people are in Facebook groups or somewhere else, too. I kinda like the forum format, but it is old.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:13 PM

6,661 posts, read 5,616,882 times
Reddit is and has always been way more popular than CityData for topics like this

Old 03-17-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This site is losing participants because it is fairly stagnant technology and people have moved on. City-Data hasn't changed much at all in the past 10-15 years. People are over on Reddit and other places now. City-Data is for old farts like me. There are 110 comments on a thread on the Cary car thief shooting in r/Raleigh on Reddit vs 40 here. I'm sure people are in Facebook groups or somewhere else, too. I kinda like the forum format, but it is old.
Honestly, I find the forum format so very superior than other options. But, other options play better with mobile devices.

Then.... There's NextDoor, which is wildly odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary