Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 02:37 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I'm in Cary Park as well. Antenna in attic, as high up as I could get it with a short ladder. Reception on WTVD always sucks. I just re-scanned the channels on my SiliconDust HD Homerun device and it found the channel, but reception is still crap. Other local channels are bad as well so might just be my network. I typically only use OTA for live sports to avoid the lag.

Edit - just rescanned channels on a TV with a locally connected antenna and WTVD reception is still poor compared to the other local networks - but the channel is there, it just drops out a lot.
If you have an amplifier on your antenna try dropping power to it and see if that helps. I was getting loss of signal drop outs on Fox 50 and just for grins dropped power to the amplifier which fixed the problem and the picture is great. WTVD did change frequencies as of July 2020 with supposedly a stronger signal, so maybe try another rescan on your TV to see if it clears up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 03:18 PM

148 posts, read 170,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbro View Post
If you have a smart TV you can download their app or watch from here: https://abc.com/watch-live/abc
That only works if you have a TV provider (cable subscription).

Old 03-18-2022, 07:11 PM

27 posts, read 37,966 times
I also live in Cary Park area and have the exact same issue with WTVD...

Old 03-19-2022, 01:32 PM

22 posts, read 44,523 times
Have some good news to share... I purchased U MUST HAVE Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna Long 250+ Miles Range with Amplifier Signal Booster from Amazon and was able to add WTVD channel and got decent 4-5/10 bars signal strength. If I turned off signal booster, I got nothing. So a booster/amplifier seems to be a must. YMMV.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:03 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I haven't gotten a cohesive signal on that channel for years now. I have a booster and the antenna is installed outside, 3 stories up. I need to add VHF to my existing antenna, I have the part to add VHF to the existing UHF antenna, but I can't reach my antenna, so I need to hire someone to do that for me. In addition, I've been getting crappy signal on NBC and CBS as well in the past year. I might need a new antenna altogether.

The guy who did the install many years ago is no longer in this biz.

Any suggestions on good installers?

Old 03-22-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdshaw View Post
Have some good news to share... I purchased U MUST HAVE Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna Long 250+ Miles Range with Amplifier Signal Booster from Amazon and was able to add WTVD channel and got decent 4-5/10 bars signal strength. If I turned off signal booster, I got nothing. So a booster/amplifier seems to be a must. YMMV.
Big thanks to you! I also live in Cary Park area, so I followed your recommendation and purchased the same antenna. I can now pull in both WTVD (ABC11) and WNCN (CBS17) which I wasn't able to do with my Mohu antenna before. Both WTVD and WNCN signal strength is ~50 while WRAL is ~87. I am also able to pull in some other channels that I didn't have before. Very happy now!

Old 03-22-2022, 05:31 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAmQB View Post
Big thanks to you! I also live in Cary Park area, so I followed your recommendation and purchased the same antenna. I can now pull in both WTVD (ABC11) and WNCN (CBS17) which I wasn't able to do with my Mohu antenna before. Both WTVD and WNCN signal strength is ~50 while WRAL is ~87. I am also able to pull in some other channels that I didn't have before. Very happy now!
Can you pull in Greensboro stations with it? I am using this one linked below (no amplifier). It struggles with ABC but I am able to pull in GSO stations if I aim it properly. (There has been a rare situation in the last few years where GSO gets a Steelers game when Raleigh doesn't).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Antennas-Di...nna/1000342941

Old 03-23-2022, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Can you pull in Greensboro stations with it? I am using this one linked below (no amplifier). It struggles with ABC but I am able to pull in GSO stations if I aim it properly. (There has been a rare situation in the last few years where GSO gets a Steelers game when Raleigh doesn't).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Antennas-Di...nna/1000342941
No, I am not pulling in Greensboro channels. But I didn’t try to aim the antenna toward Greensboro, so that could also be why.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:48 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Also, beware that if you are installing an outdoor antenna that is 30 feet or higher (depending on the height of your house and the height of the surrounding trees, if any) you are inadvertently installing a lightning catcher at the same time.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:47 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Forget flat panel antennas for reliable VHF reception as they are usually optimized for UHF. Both WTVD and WNCN are High VHF and require rabbit ears or a larger VHF antenna with elongated elements. And possibly a precisely adjusted amplifier. But over boosting a weak signal from the wrong type of indoor antenna is the mistake most folks make. Resulting in lack of reception. But unfortunately good indoor rabbit ears type of antennas have not been manufactured in about 10 years, as today's versions are inferior.

The Antop 500SBS antenna has elongated VHF elements built inside, and an adjustable gain amplifier. It is one of the few cosmetically pleasing indoor antennas that has decent performance for VHF. For a better outside or attic antenna, the Televes Ellipse Mix performs very well with a built in amplifier that has automatic gain control. Order from Ness Electronics or Lowe's. Also the Sky Blue Black Arrow antenna from Ness Electronics performs well on VHF with elongated elements, but you would need to add an external amplifier, and the Channel Master Amplify or Televes preamp would be recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary