Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 12:44 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Cary. Have lived in Asheville for 20yrs and my husband grew up in Cary. We’re tired of how expensive Asheville is and the lack of decent schools and amenities for the price.

The most important thing is first finding a school we’d be happy with in or near Cary. Not against a charter either just know in Asheville the charters are impossible to get into. Only requirement is it’s not religious. Art and science focuses would be a plus. I can google but it’s not going to give me real experiences. So thanks for any guidance you might be able to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 12:56 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,867,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Considering a move to Cary. Have lived in Asheville for 20yrs and my husband grew up in Cary. We’re tired of how expensive Asheville is and the lack of decent schools and amenities for the price.

The most important thing is first finding a school we’d be happy with in or near Cary. Not against a charter either just know in Asheville the charters are impossible to get into. Only requirement is it’s not religious. Art and science focuses would be a plus. I can google but it’s not going to give me real experiences. So thanks for any guidance you might be able to offer!
Hi- can't pm you and can't answer your question (sorry) but happy to see you here. Used to see you on the Greenville forum, and we are moving to the Triangle as well.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:35 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Check some previous postings on Cary Academy if you have middle and high school students. The admission is very competitive. Check Triangle Montessori for elementary students.

You would probably consider the Thales Academies to be on the religious spectrum.

Also check the Durham School of Science and Mathematics. It is public, but competitive for 11th and 12th grade.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-15-2022 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 03:53 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Anything outside WCPSS is difficult to get into now - private or charter. Look into this before you move if you don't want regular public schools.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:53 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anything outside WCPSS is difficult to get into now - private or charter. Look into this before you move if you don't want regular public schools.
Since there are excellent public and charter schools in Cary, would you still want to move to Cary if your children could not get into the desired private school.

Another option to consider is North Raleigh, where Ravenscroft and some other good private schools are. See this recent thread on Ravenscroft and others:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-2022-a.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ck-needed.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...gh-around.html

Old 03-15-2022, 07:08 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post

given your recent posts in the city-data city-data, you might want to really think about waiting out the housing material supply/$$ issues. You want to be in Asheville. You've just been thrown a (theoretically) near-term curveball with construction costs.

You can certainly get "good schools if you're involved" and close to an acre and a nice house for under $1.2MM here. But whether that house needs significant updates is likely and a different matter.

The best schools in Wake County (or Durham or Orange) are urbanized - lots of < 1/2 acre and a distinct likelihood in Cary for the "fishbowl" affect you abhor. The best schools in Raleigh and CH are definitely going to press your budget.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
given your recent posts in the city-data city-data, you might want to really think about waiting out the housing material supply/$$ issues. You want to be in Asheville. You've just been thrown a (theoretically) near-term curveball with construction costs.

You can certainly get "good schools if you're involved" and close to an acre and a nice house for under $1.2MM here. But whether that house needs significant updates is likely and a different matter.

The best schools in Wake County (or Durham or Orange) are urbanized - lots of < 1/2 acre and a distinct likelihood in Cary for the "fishbowl" affect you abhor. The best schools in Raleigh and CH are definitely going to press your budget.
Hm yeah, going to be hard pressed to find a house in Cary where you can't see your neighbors.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I’m well aware of what the area is like and what we can get. We visit bimonthly. We know we’d be giving up some things seeing as how Cary is a city in a huge metro area but thanks. We’ve already found plenty of homes on half acre for much less than Asheville and nicer. We aren’t just moving due to housing but many other things combining with housing being the final straw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Hm yeah, going to be hard pressed to find a house in Cary where you can't see your neighbors.
Well aware. I just don’t want a lot with no trees.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 03-15-2022 at 10:54 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Since there are excellent public and charter schools in Cary, would you still want to move to Cary if your children could not get into the desired private school.

Another option to consider is North Raleigh, where Ravenscroft and some other good private schools are. See this recent thread on Ravenscroft and others:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/ral...ft-2022-a.html
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/ral...ck-needed.html
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/ral...gh-around.html
Thanks! My family is actually in North Raleigh. It’s not my favorite just due to so much driving. It is prettier though especially around falls lake. What draws us to Cary is the walkability and being able to stay in Cary for most needs. We are willing to give up the mountains if it means we can get to a greenway from our house, tons of parks, more opportunities for our kiddo to make friends. RavensCroft seems on par with our kiddos current school. Im just not sure we’d really consider outside of Cary and that’s a hefty commute. I’ll sort though the other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Hi- can't pm you and can't answer your question (sorry) but happy to see you here. Used to see you on the Greenville forum, and we are moving to the Triangle as well.
Oh hiii! Hope all is going well!

Old 03-16-2022, 05:48 AM

Idk how old your kids are. Non religious schools would be Ravenscroft (k-12) and Cary Academy (6-12) and I guess Thales which I think is middle and high across different campuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary