Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 08:48 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Per US News and World Report, 2022 edition of Best Hospitals:

Duke University Hospital in Durham is listed as 39th in the nation for Cardiology and Heart Surgery. No other NC hospital made the top 50 in this specialty.
This indicates to me that the best of the best practice there and/or have privileges there.

Every family should have a copy of this magazine.
I wonder if their methodology is similar to the one they use in their Best High Schools report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 09:10 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,434,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I wonder if their methodology is similar to the one they use in their Best High Schools report.
Their rating methodology for the 4500+ hospitals evaluated:

37.5% to Patient Outcomes
5% to Patient Experience
30% to Other Care related indicators
27.5% to Expert Opinion

Old 03-22-2022, 09:33 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,748,126 times
Quote:
Homie just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean the entire hospital system is terrible. There are a lot of factors that go into care. Sometimes the stars align and things are terrible, people are human.

It's also a bad time to be a healthcare worker. Everyone is tired, stressed, and overworked. They are also dealing with a rather large backlog of surgeries and appts from people that put things off the past few years so it's no surprise that things can be a bit up in the air with scheduling.

I've had a lot... and I mean A LOT... of clinic appointments at Duke over the years. Some days everything goes perfectly fine and I'm in and out before I can blink. Other days I want to bash my head into a wall. This isn't unique to Duke. Healthcare is hard and there are a lot of factors which ripple out to everyone.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:11 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,352,803 times
Quote:
LOL

Look I'm happy they're here. They have their niche like all "name" hospitals. But it was so funny how I was thinking "if something happens to dad (because he kept saying "this is gonna give me another heart attack"....and he looked like it too) We are not going to Duke....and my sister called me early one morning and she goes "we need to talk....if something happens to dad we are not going to Duke" and I said "already thought of it and agree 100%".

Now that the dust has settled we've also told our parents if something happens and you choose to go there, you've used up all your chits with us.

Honestly what bothered me the most is I'm fairly comfy in a medical setting. Mom was a nurse and I've been in hospitals and doctor offices my whole life because of that. I was in and out of the hospital 3 times when I was pregnant with twins. I know how hard you need to go to advocate for yourself. People who don't know it are in for a bad ride and that bugs me.

My nephew's fiance just had a (minor) medical procedure and nearly bled out when they got home....they told her "you probably popped a stitch" - nephew drove her back to the doctor and he said when the doctor saw her she nearly fainted. If she HAD bled out her family would have a nice settlement but they'd rather have HER. People need to be taken more seriously when something is amiss. When I was pregnant one of the things I appreciated most about my doctor was that he said "if you think something is wrong trust your instincts and call". Doctors never say that and it's wrong.
100%! It is scary that there are people who can't advocate for themselves (confused, in too much pain, etc). I hope your Mom is doing better now, what a fiasco. I can't believe the patient advocate gave you a guilt trip, that is ridiculous.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:06 PM

812 posts, read 835,363 times
Keep in mind health care, especially hospital setting, is very dynamic and fluid -almost needing to use "the calculus" to try to predict and plan and schedule anything. It is AWLAYS, sickest first. This is not a typical office setting. You might think you are up next for a procedure/surgery but then if emergent cases surface you are moved to the back of the line. Sorry. I am in healthcare and we are never told exactly when a patient will have this or that done... because they (hospital) don't know themselves. If they give us a time we might relay to the patients and families and then emergent cases come in (s%^& happens ya know) and suddenly so and so's procedure/surgery is moved to next day. It only leads to disappointment. So they keep us all in the dark with only hints of "procedure or surgery planned for around this date". It is a given that it is scheduled to change. I educate my patients and families on this. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised and it will happen on time or even early. On average it happens around when they think...... but certainly no guarantee.

Out-patient surgery centers are more "on time". But many folk do not quality for this given their age, underlying conditions and/or comorbidities. Also, the acute situation that is leading to their chief complaint.... might be more emergent and necessitate a hospital/ER visit. Keep in mind though that there are always others who are more emergent/unstable and will "bump you".

I always preach to my patients better to get bumped than to do the bumping -as those doing the bumping are not doing nearly as well. I don't like it any more than my patients...but I understand. I believe most of them do too.

I had a minor surgery done at an out-patient clinic not long ago; head-and-shoulders above the hospital at which I work. And... this would be no surprise for the surgeons who work at my hospital -some of whom rotate through aforementioned clinic.

However, having the hospital just keep putting off and putting off, w/out any education and/or explanation, sounds like a communication break down and is not acceptable.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:15 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,450,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Did he graduate at the bottom of his class? Sorry, he is wrong on all three things.

My primary cardiologist is with Rex (though I started with him when he was at Carolina Cardiology). For surgery, I was referred to Duke. I don't think you can go wrong at either.
I think what my former neighbor said was meant to be “tongue and cheek”. Personally, I’d go to Duke. I enjoyed worked there and was treated very well.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,400,721 times
@NRaleighmom, I don't have any advice, but hope you are feeling better and found a good doc to take care of you. Check in when you can.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:27 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,955,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
@NRaleighmom, I don't have any advice, but hope you are feeling better and found a good doc to take care of you. Check in when you can.
Thank you Poppydog I decided to go with Duke since I have a lot of history there.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,400,721 times
Duke is good. I am sure they will get to the bottom of it and fix you up. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,450,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Thank you Poppydog I decided to go with Duke since I have a lot of history there.
You’ll be in good hands. Sending healing vibes…..wishing you only good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary