Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 08:31 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,257,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Why just the other day, one of those new fangled autos scared my horse! The carriage almost tipped over. There really should be rules against those things!
Hate when that happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:03 PM

94 posts, read 57,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Will you let me know when you put your house on the market?

I'm sure many others would be overly happy to buy it so that they can move here.

I think you've identified the problem.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:36 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,168,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforestguy View Post
I think you've identified the problem.
Of course. The problem is that the rising COL is driving some people away from this area.

However this problem is actually a win-win scenario. The sellers have the opportunity to move somewhere more affordable (for them), and qualified buyers have additional available housing stock to choose from.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:53 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,072,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Were breweries really a big thing in 2005 like they are now? Seems to me that 2005 was maybe the beginning of them popping up across the country.
They were big in traditional beer cities like Denver, Boulder/Longmont, San Diego, St. Louis, Grand Rapids, Bend Oregon. In those places, the mid 90s through early 2000s were the craft beer boom. Most of the Triangle’s breweries sprung up 2008-2010 and later, whereas the craft beer scene (and breweries) had been going strong in the previously mentioned cities for two decades or more in cases. Lonerider and Aviator were founded in 2008, while Fullsteam wasn’t until 2010. Raleigh/Triangle was kind of 3rd or even 4th wave, but it makes sense given the later growth and boom of the Triangle.

For comparison:

Harpoon was founded 1986 (Boston)
Great Divide 1994 (Denver)
Left Hand 1993 (Boulder/Longmont)
Schlafly 1991 (St. Louis)
Ballast Point 1996 (San Diego)
Founders 1997 (Grand Rapids)
Deschutes 1988 (Bend, OR)

Old 04-13-2022, 09:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Were breweries really a big thing in 2005 like they are now? Seems to me that 2005 was maybe the beginning of them popping up across the country.
I knoe the big driver in NC was when new legislation was passed in 2005. Once that happened it made a lot more sense to open a breweryin NC since you could be way more creative.

"Governor Mike Easley signed the bill into law on August 13, 2005, raising the state’s alcohol by volume cap from 6 to 15 percent".

You can read more about the "Pop the Cap" movement here:

https://www.ourstate.com/pop-the-cap-north-carolina/

Old 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM

771 posts, read 629,838 times
1. North Hills has transformed from a shopping center and "old money" neighborhood into the Raleigh equivalent of Atlanta's Buckhead. This is either a good or bad thing, depending on who you ask. To be honest, this is the area that has changed the most over the last 10-15 years, in my opinion.

2. Downtown is a lot better, far more vibrant than it was 10-15 years ago.

3. I don't know if I'd say traffic has gotten worse (areas like Crabtree have always been bad), but drivers are noticeably more impatient.

4. There's a lot more suburban sprawl, which makes sense given how the area has grown and developed. The entire Triangle has been viewed as an attractive destination for families over the years, and that's kind of what you see as a result.

5. There are transplants from other areas outside of the Northeast. New Yorkers have been moving down here for over 50 years, that's not new. However, I've met some recent transplants from California and other places, which might have been slightly more rare to encounter 10-15 years back. Transplants are coming in from everywhere, not just the usual places (New York, New Jersey, etc.).

6. Housing is more expensive now, but that's honestly every metro in the nation at this point. It's a nationwide issue.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:00 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,725,394 times
I grew up in Raleigh and recently went back to visit and was surprised at how much growth the area has had. Places that used to be only for rednecks like Fuquay and Angier are now being built out. Unfortunately, a lot of the uniqueness of Raleigh has been destroyed and turned into a strip center with Target, CVS, and TJ Maxx.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:23 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,875,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I grew up in Raleigh and recently went back to visit and was surprised at how much growth the area has had. Places that used to be only for rednecks like Fuquay and Angier are now being built out. Unfortunately, a lot of the uniqueness of Raleigh has been destroyed and turned into a strip center with Target, CVS, and TJ Maxx.
How do you feel it compares with the DFW of today?

Old 04-18-2022, 10:18 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,725,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
How do you feel it compares with the DFW of today?
Both areas are mostly suburban feeling but DFW is much larger and has more amenities to offer. The most apparent difference is as soon as you get off the airplane. DFW is mostly prairie land and has few trees. Raleigh is covered with trees.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:35 AM

70 posts, read 52,884 times
Ton of entitlement in the new population over the past decade,especially in Western Wake…not as diverse and unless you can afford everything on your own this is not the place for what was a middle class slice of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary